Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Why shock cord for rails on the sides of an UQ?

Where is shock cord needed on an under-quilt (UQ)?

The ends of a gathered-end hammock vary in width between set up and use and during use, so the role of the elastic to have the width of the UQ ends track that width is clear enough, I guess for sealing against intrusion of air.

An elastic suspension stretches the UQ out and up to rest loosely against the hammock bottom.

But , what is the purpose of the 4 yards of elastic within the two channels of a full length UQ, when there would seem to be plenty of static and dynamic adjustibility from the rest of the shock cord running up and out to hammock ends?

I'm pleased with the fore-and-aft sliding on rails with the side channels. But, I'm not understanding the role of the elastic as the rail.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Where is shock cord needed on an under-quilt (UQ)?

The ends of a gathered-end hammock vary in width between set up and use and during use, so the role of the elastic to have the width of the UQ ends track that width is clear enough, I guess for sealing against intrusion of air.

An elastic suspension stretches the UQ out and up to rest loosely against the hammock bottom.

But , what is the purpose of the 4 yards of elastic within the two channels of a full length UQ, when there would seem to be plenty of static and dynamic adjustibility from the rest of the shock cord running up and out to hammock ends?

I'm pleased with the fore-and-aft sliding on rails with the side channels. But, I'm not understanding the role of the elastic as the rail.
    A couple of guesses:

(1) Just as the width varies in use as the occupant moves around, the effective length can change, too - though perhaps not as much.

(2) Desperation

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Also so the UQ suspension length doesn't have to be so precise. With no stretch you'd need the suspension length to be spot on. Too short and the UQ wil be carrying your weight. Too long and you've got gaps.

I don't see the need for the full length being bungee. At home, for my Brazilian, I use bungee only at the two ends.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Also so the UQ suspension length doesn't have to be so precise. With no stretch you'd need the suspension length to be spot on. Too short and the UQ wil be carrying your weight. Too long and you've got gaps.

I don't see the need for the full length being bungee. At home, for my Brazilian, I use bungee only at the two ends.
    My question is only about what you exclude in your second paragraph, the part that is acting as rails. I can understand that only makers for gram-counters, a Z-packs, would swap out the length of shock cord in the channel for a length of something lighter, but that is exactly what I am driving at, if an ounce can be saved and nothing at all lost. (I might even bury the shock cord in a nice continous splice.)

I'm much taken with your observation-- with others -- of the sealing problem of UQ's. I'm trying to appreciate just what shock cord is supposed to do, as obliquely as the forces of the UQ suspension are applied. Before butchering a fine continuous stretch of shock cord on a full length UQ, I wondered what functionality I'd be giving up.

RAB closes the stuff sack for the Quantum top-bag with shock cord, including a very nice (or over-engineered) stress-stopper and then a keeper for that stress-stopper. Wow, no expense spared. Then, of the shock cord, I wondered: "Why? What need does this meet? In my limited experience, I haven't noticed shock cord on a stuff sack closure before. What did I miss out on? "

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I can not speak with personal experience here, as I don't have an underquilt with shock cord as the runner through the side channels. However, I can speak obliquely to it, from the other direction.

With my PLUQ--which is, admittedly, a 2/3 quilt--the side channels can be somewhat uncomfortable to push against if I am on an extreme asym angle (for example, when I'm reading in the hammock with my head pressed against the edge of the quilt). I can only think that shock cord would help with this, as it would give more than the mason's line I'm using right now. It isn't uncomfortable enough for me to go through the process of disassembling and reassembling the quilt, though.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I recently went through this same question with a DIY underquilt I made for a bridge hammock.

Aiming for the minimum weight, I put shock cord at the corners, and nothing in a side-channel, thinking (hoping) that that would tension up the side edges of the UQ and keep them closed in on the hammock.

Nope. What seemed to be needed in the middle was some lifting, that was not being accomplished just by tensioning the corners.

That led to the logical next step, to put something lighter than shock cord through the channel I'd put along the side and that might have worked except the channel is a touch too narrow to admit whatever means I used to attach the lighter weight cord (a cotton shoe string) and the shock cord. Another concern for me on this UQ was abrasion due to that knot, the UQ and channel being made of cuben.

I probably could work something out with the cotton shoestring with shock cord corners, but the time/interest ratio thing passed the inflection point where I'm happy enough with shock cord in the channels.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I added full length shock cord to my JRB MW3 UQ, first for use in a BB as my left shoulder was always being exposed as the UQ would move around a bit as I moved. This made it stay up and over my shoulder without any slipping, also worked the same way for my feet. I just tucked them under and the quilt wouldn't slip off. I guess it's a situation of a rectangle quilt attached to an asym hammock.

Now I use it with my bridge and even though the shoulder exposure isn't a problem I am happy with the way it works there also.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It just works for me....and holds it up to where I need it. Less fiddle as well for my needs.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    But, But, the WEIGHT you could save....

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I recently went through this same question with a DIY underquilt I made.

Aiming for the minimum weight, I put shock cord at the corners, and nothing in a side-channel, thinking (hoping) that that would tension up the side edges of the UQ and keep them closed in on the hammock.

Nope. What seemed to be needed in the middle was some lifting, that was not being accomplished just by tensioning the corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It just works for me....and holds it up to where I need it. Less fiddle as well for my needs.
    Shug
    I found the same as Grizz and Shug. So I switched all my underquilts to the full length shock cord. 2/3 underquilts and full length underquilts now have full channel shock cord support. The less fiddle factor the better for me.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 10-31-2011 at 10:16.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast