Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    For what it's worth, I'm having leftover butt for lunch today, and had barbecue sammiches for supper last night. Five butts goes a LONG WAY, apparently.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Great pics, looks like a great time. Curious, did anyone try the Appalachian Hammock? What did you think?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Great pics, looks like a great time. Curious, did anyone try the Appalachian Hammock? What did you think?
    See favorable comments on the Appalachian Hammock Thread

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images

NC>Falls Lake> April 19-21, 2013 - 1st Annual Smoked Butt Hang

A few pics...

Arrived Friday midday a bit worried about the weather. Despite severe weather forecasts and a tornado warning - our campsite, being leeward of the winds, received only a bit of wind and a light steady rain most of the evening. Decided to setup before the rain and enjoyed this view of the lake from under the tarp.

Saturday morning was a chance to visit with old friends and make new ones too.

We took up a collection and procured firewood.

Lunchtime!! Where's Karl??

mmm.... smoked meat... Shug? Shug! This photo is for you!

Old4hats improves all flavors with butter- delish! That man makes some yummy biscuits too! Notice the antique dutch oven - with a handle!

Dinner bell...waiting for the precise moment.

Chili warming...and more chili and stew too!

our fearless organizer, Catavarie!

Anticipation. The great "milling about" - waiting for dinner.

Fireside chat with caveman television - after Saturday BBQ

Hangin' out Sunday morning. Three of the great kids in attendance and one excellent breakfast chef preparing breakfast burritos for us all!

Hammocks, Tarps and Cozies too!

the circle of professional story tellers continued throughout the weekend. If you can hold your own with this crowd then you are an accomplished liar umm, storyteller!

Nice one Cowboy, real nice.

Thoroughly enjoyed the 1st Annual Smoked Butt Hang - Nice one Catavarie! Thanks to Paul and Missy and Ryan for attending. It is really nice to learn about the unique features of gear from the folks who made it.

As always, getting to know HF forum members is a treat! Good people. Good times.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by cbamos View Post
    See favorable comments on the Appalachian Hammock Thread
    Actually the only comments there are about the site, I was looking for some from someone who actually slept in one.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Actually the only comments there are about the site, I was looking for some from someone who actually slept in one.
    No one actually slept in one, but I had both the Original and Thru-hiker strung up, as well as the new Big sil 12x10 tarp. I think Fireinmybones has video showing the tarp and original all set up.

I also have a bunch of pics and a write up coming, but I am busy playing catch up with orders atm.
    -Ryan and Kyle Baker, Owners
    www.AppalachianHammock.com

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Links to photos of hang
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/gs...?sort=3&page=1

First.....A big thanks to Catavarie for putting on the hang.

It was fun. For those of you who did not show because to the weather, you missed a great hang. Also it was a reunion as I got to see some fellow hangers whom I have not seen in several years and also got to meet many others for the first time. Also nice to be able to place faces to the posts on the forum.

It was also fun to watch the kids running around having a great time.

Now on with my report..........

Wife met me at work and we left Morehead at 1pm on Friday. Took 3 hours to get to Falls Lake. Got a little concerned as we kept seeing all these “Tornado Warnings” on the electronic signs along the highway as we got into Raleigh area.

Got to the camp site and found a place to set up at the 2nd of the two group sites reserved for the hang.
    Wife and I both set up our BB's.

Shortly after we set up camp the rains started and killed our plans to cook out for dinner so we drove out to a Subway and got something to eat. Just as we left the campgrounds the bottom fell out and a for few minutes we could barely see the road due to heavy rains.

When we got back we set up our pop up canopy and a bunch of us grabbed some chairs and sat under the canopy trying to stay dry as we swapped lies and introduced ourselves.

A motorcyclist pulls up soaking wet and we find out it was Pretbek who drove his bike over from Holland which would explain why he was so wet. ( actually he drove down from Pennsylvania where he lives ). Still it gave our hang an international flair.

The rain gradually slowed down to being an annoying rain, the type of rain where its not raining hard but rains just enough to force you to wear a raincoat or poncho. It stopped sometime during the night but while it lasted it made a nice patter against my tarp as I was sleeping. I did not hear anyone say they got wet during the night while they were in their hammocks.

During the night I heard some voices and looked out and realized it was Junebugdawn and someone else walking around. I called out to her but did not hear a reply. Later Junebugdawn said she made a wrong turn while walking around during the night but did not realize it until I called out to her.

Was rudely awaken Saturday AM to the sound of power boats on the lake.

Saturday started off with group breakfast. Catavarie and my wife made pancakes and I cooked up a bunch of mystery sausage ( they are a mystery as I am not sure what kind the were). Someone else made a dutch oven pot of something (not sure what it was called but it had 3 lbs of bacon in it and we all know bacon makes anything taste good).

More and more people kept showing up.

Went for hike along a section of the MST that runs thru the area with EagleJ (at least that is is I think it was, if I am wrong I apologize). Caught a ride with a group going to get a load of fire wood which was along the way.

Link here to interactive map http://www.ncmst.org/the-trail/interactive-map/. The distance was about 4 miles.

Got back just in time for lunch. Met some new hangers who were attending their first group hang. They do not have any hammocks yet but they attended so they could see all the different set ups. I took them over to check out my BB's and gave them chance to climb in side. I saw them going around after that checking out the other rigs. Looked like a couple of kids in a candy store. So many choices...what to get.

Talked to Paul from Underground quilts. Real nice guy. He was showing off one of his UQs. Has some very nice details like built in loops along the sides for attaching to your hammock. A draft collar at each end to eliminate those pesky cold spots and a double suspension system. One to hold the UQ up and the second to allow you to fine tune the placement of the UQ. After seeing the UQ in person I can see why these quilts are so popular. Lets see, how much $$ do I have …... I know, Honey... I know what I want for Christmas and I have been real good this year.

Also go to met the Ryan, the partner in crime from Appalachian Hammocks who brought some some of their gear to show off. Very nicely made hammocks and it is made here in the Greenville NC
    area.

Survivalen of VersaShelters was suppose to be there to show off his gear but did not make it.

The DIY bug was in the air as several people were making cozies for their pots and or making alcohol stoves. Note...how do you tell if your alcohol stove is burning ? You stick your hand over it and if it smells like pork cooking then the stove is lit.

Also lots of kayaks and at least one canoe present and several folks braved the cold water and winds and went paddling out in the lake.

The guests of honor, 6 large pork shoulders got the special attention they deserved as Catavarie massaged each butt with a dry rub. I am not sure but I think he was getting into the massage part a little too much. Then the butts found their home on the grill where the were allowed to slowly cook for the next 6+ hours. A long wait but good BBQ takes time.

Finally about 6pm the guest of honor were removed from the smoker, allowed to rest and were then chopped to perfection. Someone else whose name I did not get brought some 'Q he made at home for us to enjoy. Various stews and chilies, cornbread, potato salad, beans ect ended up on the table and the dinner bell was rung. Unfortunately the Q disappeared all too quickly. I got a head count of 40 people for dinner.

By the way Shug...I ate some 'Q in your honor. You enjoyed it.

My wife asked me to get her some of the dessert ( a pineapple, cherry cobbler made in a dutch oven ). I went and got her all that was left, literately a partial spoon full that I was able to scrape off the inside to the pot. The wife now wants to get a Dutch Oven.

I got a head count of about 40 people present for dinner.

After dinner the raffle was held. I still think Gresh and Loki had figured out a way to rig the raffle as they seemed to win every other prize. Ryan from Appalachian Hammocks won one of the grand prizes, only problem was it was a choice between the hammock he brought for the raffle and a gift certificate from Warbonnet Hammocks. After thinking about it he decided to pass.

Congrats to the winners and a big thanks to the vendors who donated the prizes.

To the winners, please remember to thank the vendor for donating the prizes. Vendors I have contacted to thank in the past for stuff I have won tell me they rarely hear from the winners.

After the raffle we all sat around the campfire and told bad jokes and decided we should start Hammock Forums After Dark. This consisted of making bad comments about Gresh and his ability to “scamper” thru the woods. If Gresh scampers thru the woods and no is there to see him, is he really scampering or is he lumbering. Deep philosophical questions and discussions continued. Someone made the commit that we need bigfoot at the hang. I reminded him that Gresh was already here.

The wife and I finally decided it was past our bedtimes so we departed the nice warn fire and went to bed. During the night the temps dropped and the winds picked up. Got the bit chilly but we stayed warm. If I had known it was going to get so windy I would have set up my hammock sock.

Broke down camp and packed up. Had a breakfast wrap before I left. Very tasty. I heard 96 eggs were used to make breakfast.

Went by the REI in Durham and got the wife a new day pack and used my massive $2.10 dividend towards the purcahse. A young lady was next to us was also trying on packs and told the REI clerk she was a hammock hanger. Was tempted to ask her why she wasn't at the hang but the wife distracted me as she needed help in selecting a new day pack for a planned hiking trip to the AT in few weeks.. The REI has ENO, Byers and Hennessy Hammocks on the shelf for sale.

Also stopped by a Shoe Carnival and got some hiking boots for the wife and found a couple in my size 15.

I will post photos after I have a chance to go thru them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-22-2013 at 21:43.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Hey, look! A new addition to my signature.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Glad to be of help to the mighty Gresh
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Slideshow Link!

I finally got the pics uploaded. Here is a link to the slideshow. The password is: smokedbutt.
    I will add my trip report and link in individual pics later today, but wanted y'all to be able to go ahead and see them. Miss all of y'all already!

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/ju...%20Hang%202013
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast