Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single Hammock

first UQ and i need some help

hey hammock foroms iv been looking at UQs and i decided i want to buy a full body UQ rated to 20*. i was going to get this one but i wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think of it. so if you have it do you like it. and /or do you guys know of a cheaper UQ that is as good or better. im trying to find a light waight/ small UQ that is still warm though. i dont have i preferens to down or synthetic. just want light and warm for the beast price.

thanks in advance

http://www.hammockgear.com/products....bator-20%C2%B0

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I hear maaaaany good things about Hammockgear.

Another place to check out would be Leigh Lo. She has a 15* for 200 bucks.

http://www.hammockquilts.com/apps/webstore/

It seems to be out of stock atm, but if you contact her I am sure she will give you a time frame of when to expect more in stock.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I absolutely love my incubator. You won't be sorry with that purchase.

There a lot of factors that you didn't cover though. Do you want a full length UQ? (They weigh a bit more and don't pack down as well, but I feel there is less fiddle factor with them.) What types of weather do you plan on being out in?
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies

first UQ and i need some help

IMO you have picked one of the best companies out there for UQ's. but it boils down to preference. Of what I understand all the UQ guys know their stuff and are great at what they do. Best advise is do your homework and ask many questions so you can get the best product that fits you.
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Images
    It will probably be hard to beat the HG, but if least expensive is a major plus, you should consider AHE.

This is about 5 oz heavier than the HG, and the HG is rated about 5* warmer (HG 20 vs AHE 30F). But, I have always suspected the AHE ratings to be very conservative for most folks. And sure enough, quite a few folks have reported using them way below the rated temps and being warm. Also, the learning curve for the AHEs seems to be pretty easy, as there seem to be very few threads with people reporting trouble being warm at the rated temps. So the fiddle factor seems to be lower than usual. And if moisture is a concern, you would have the advantage of super quick drying Climashield.

It's biggest drawback is going to be volume, the HG will probably pack a lot smaller. But maybe it's biggest advantage is that it cost ~ $85 less. Either will be a fine choice.

You absolutely can't go wrong with HG. Extremely easy to dial in, exceeded expectations in the conditions I had mine in. You'll want to practice setting up any UQ at home but I find once I've "dialed it in" it's easy peasy in the field. Not to mention A&J's customer service, any questions or issues you have you have the luxury of knowing they'll be able to quickly troubleshoot your problem.

Also they're 3/4 length are even lighter and with, say a backpad out of your backpack, you can tuck it in the footbox of your SB or TQ and stay just as comfy. Easier on the back and pocketbook as well. Less "dialing in" as well.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I hear maaaaany good things about Hammockgear.

Another place to check out would be Leigh Lo. She has a 15* for 200 bucks.

http://www.hammockquilts.com/apps/webstore/

It seems to be out of stock atm, but if you contact her I am sure she will give you a time frame of when to expect more in stock.
    do you know the size that this UQ compacts down to. i could not find it on there sight.

Edit: thanks to all of you who replied. i'm glad to see that i chose a rather good UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Love my Incubator, got it last year so it does not have them improved baffles on the end like the new model, but I have never had a problem with it staying snug. I'm hanging in a warbonnet black bird. As for how small it packs down, I don't worry about it. I stow it in a turkey roasting bag and it goes into the bottom of my pack. Helps fill out any voids and is not as compressed.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Yes get it. You'll like it.

S

Hammock