1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Overkill?!?!? It's a stake tied to a line tied to a tarp. There are no gadgets or extra lines or loops. You just pull out your tarp, push in your stakes, and tighten if necessary. No knots to tie or lines to thread. When you break camp, you just pack it as is. The only other fuss is shortening the guyline with a marlinspike hitch if you want to plant your stakes in close.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Overkill?!?!? It's a stake tied to a line tied to a tarp. There are no gadgets or extra lines or loops. You just pull out your tarp, push in your stakes, and tighten if necessary. No knots to tie or lines to thread. When you break camp, you just pack it as is. The only other fuss is shortening the guyline with a marlinspike hitch if you want to plant your stakes in close.
    Don't make Dylan angry. You won't like him when he's angry
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Sounds like someone has spent a lot of time thinking up a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Still, each to his own. As you say, it is simply fun to play with gear and tweak systems.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Some neat ideas for sure. But it does seem like it's over complicating something as simple as a guyline.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I guess I don't understand the need for nonconstructive negative posts just to say you think efforts were wasted. If you don't think this setup is useful, then don't use it. When people have something to add, or a suggestions for improvement, or speciffic comments as to what exactly is unnecessary, this forum adds a lot good information. But I don't think there is anything to gain by simply making commnets that it's overkill, overdone, over thought or over-whatever, without any other substance. That's the kind of response that discourages the open sharing of ideas.

I happen to think that buying and adding a plastic linelock when a knot will do the trick (and is just as fast and easy to adjust in this case) may be overdoing it. HYOH and tie your own guylines.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    I, personally, can't wait to try it. This is the exact technique I've been pondering and SYB made it VERY easy for me to visualize it. Thanks ya'll!

Hammock
    BB 1.1 + 1.7DL, TRAV 1.7DL, HHEXPLR
    Tarp
    Superfly, HH Hex
    Insulation
    3S Incubator & CN
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutchies
    Thumbs up Syb...creative and functional!!!...Cheers man!!!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    I guess I don't understand the need for nonconstructive negative posts just to say you think efforts were wasted. If you don't think this setup is useful, then don't use it. When people have something to add, or a suggestions for improvement, or speciffic comments as to what exactly is unnecessary, this forum adds a lot good information. But I don't think there is anything to gain by simply making commnets that it's overkill, overdone, over thought or over-whatever, without any other substance. That's the kind of response that discourages the open sharing of ideas.

I happen to think that buying and adding a plastic linelock when a knot will do the trick (and is just as fast and easy to adjust in this case) may be overdoing it. HYOH and tie your own guylines.
    I told you not to make him angry

Quote Originally Posted by MrTiles View Post
    I, personally, can't wait to try it. This is the exact technique I've been pondering and SYB made it VERY easy for me to visualize it. Thanks ya'll!
    No worries. Again, Dylan showed this to me and it got my brain going. After tinkering I realized the ease and simplicity. Good luck with it and of course, pics are needed when you set up the tarp with your new guylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    Thumbs up Syb...creative and functional!!!...Cheers man!!!
    Thanks Moxie.

I do sense it's time for me to make a video. Don't worry, I won't show my teeth. But perhaps for the benefit of HF, I'll show how much time it takes from start to finish for the "Dylan", the "Opie" (prussik/tarp tensioner) and the system ^shane^ uses.

Is a video side by side by side comparison of the three systems of any use? What do you guys and gals think?
    All right, Mr. De Mille, I'm ready for my closeup
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, uq
    Suspension
    whoopies, toggles
    Images
    Purdy, Syb. Glad I didn't see this one before I went to bed! It IS fun to play with gear!

I can see the easy on/off with the larks head top, but not the bottom knot so I'm wondering if you leave the stakes attached when you pack up or not. I'm interested in how you find working with them - maybe I'll get to see them at the next hang. Thanks for posting the pics & instrux.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gates View Post
    Purdy, Syb. Glad I didn't see this one before I went to bed! It IS fun to play with gear!

I can see the easy on/off with the larks head top, but not the bottom knot so I'm wondering if you leave the stakes attached when you pack up or not. I'm interested in how you find working with them - maybe I'll get to see them at the next hang. Thanks for posting the pics & instrux.
    Gates! Glad to hear from you! I don't leave my stakes attached. I swap them out with a poncho tarp now. I leave the rest of the guyline attached to each tarp and just move the stakes when necessary. I have about an 8" continuous loop that is larksheaded to the tarp guyline. I take the other end of the loop and larkshead it to the stake like you see in the pics.

If you're heading to MAHHA you can see the setup there.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast