Thread: JRB Tri-Glides

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    I tried Slowhikes method and liked it a lot better! But I really like the convenience and ease you get with the rings or a cinch buckle. But, I couldn't get past the heavier weight issue of the buckles. I went back and read a lot of posts on this site regarding the rings and it seems like everyone throws in a slip not when using the rings so I figured I could use the tri glides in the same fashion and gain a substancial weight savings over rings or cinch buckles. Seems to work great. But if they fail and I fall on my butt, I'll be sure to keep it to myself as always.

photo 1
    photo 2

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by speyguy View Post
    I tried Slowhikes method and liked it a lot better! But I really like the convenience and ease you get with the rings or a cinch buckle. But, I couldn't get past the heavier weight issue of the buckles. I went back and read a lot of posts on this site regarding the rings and it seems like everyone throws in a slip not when using the rings so I figured I could use the tri glides in the same fashion and gain a substancial weight savings over rings or cinch buckles. Seems to work great. But if they fail and I fall on my butt, I'll be sure to keep it to myself as always.

photo 1
    photo 2
    no, please don't keep it to your self, we need to know if it doesn't work
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

photo 1
    photo 2
    That's interesting. But isn't that the same thing that NCPatrick tried and found that a sharp edge on the tri-glide pretty much abraided his webbing? That edge would have to be one that isn't touched by webbing under recommended use....so it seems would be the bottom edge of the center stem.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Good point Grizz...

The key to avoiding wear on a strap is to avoid all friction ... if it moves a little, under load.... and, thus you need or use a jam/slip knot you are risking wear....

That said, all hangers should inspect there respective systems daily and replace any item showing wear....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    When I tried it, I would have had to tie a stopper half-hitch to keep the straps from slipping. I didn't, my straps slipped, the Tri-glide abraded my strap all the way down where it slipped. YMMV.

I've been using them as directed for a week now. [My setup (moving from the middle out) is Spyderline from the body of the hammock to the loops in either strap, ridgeline also to the loops, triglides on the strap.] Slept one night, and sat and bounced around many afternoons with them. So far so good. They're very easy to adjust.

If you wanted to be able to remove the straps more easily, you could fit a 'biner in between the Spyderline and the strap loops, but that would add the 'biner weight back in.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    no, please don't keep it to your self, we need to know if it doesn't work
    I was joking. I'll let you know.

That's interesting. But isn't that the same thing that NCPatrick tried and found that a sharp edge on the tri-glide pretty much abraided his webbing? That edge would have to be one that isn't touched by webbing under recommended use....so it seems would be the bottom edge of the center stem.

Grizz
    If I'm reading and understanding NCPatrick correctly, he said he "would have had" to try a slipnot but "didn't". Thus, he got slippage.

And if I'm understanding Pan correctly, he is saying that if you don't have slippage, then you shouldn't have a wear issue? It would be like if I took a knife and pushed the edge of the blade up against something. Not much happens. But when I slide the blade or use a slicing motion then the damage occurs.

But having said that, the sharp edge on the tri glide was a concern for me, so I took the edge off slightly (very slightly) with a file. That's why I say, if it fails I'll report back, but intial testing was good and I think it will be fine, and weighs less than rings or buckles. There's certainly more than one way to use the glides.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    It would be like if I took a knife and pushed the edge of the blade up against something. Not much happens. But when I slide the blade or use a slicing motion then the damage occurs.
    I'm not sure who sharpens your knives, but I keep mine sharp enough to do repeated push cuts...so I'm afraid the anaology falls down on that point.

But yes, you're right that corner of the buckle should not be sharp enough to abrade webbing without motion under pressure.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    When I was having to tie slip knots (using the rings) every once in a while the knot would slip in between the rings, making it very hard to untie. I switched to the cinch buckles to avoid that. (but whatever, do what works for ya).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    I may yet try the cinch buckles, I've used the rings and on occasion had the same thing happen that you are talking about. But I bought the tri-glides and dammit, I'm using them. At least for now. I just know that the way they may have been intended for use was not for me. YMMV.

NCPatrick - have you ever tried a single ring with a girth hitch knot? Its not too bad - a little harder to adjust but reasonable IMO

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast