Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    I just caved and ordered one too. I was planning on a down UQ but thought I'd give this a try first. Hard to pass up this deal...
    Believe it or not, I just broke down and ordered my 2nd SS! Mainly just couldn't pass up the price, plus it will at last give me a chance to check out the overcover. Don't know why I have not long ago tried out an OC.

Though the SS/HH UL Explorer is not my all time favorite combo, it does have it's own unique advantages, and it is probably (IMHO) the best thing out there for the price- if you use a HH anyway- even before the whopper of a sale.

Now if they will have a similar sale for an Explorer UL or DJ XL, I might bite on one of those also. Just thinking about equipping the grand kids, that's my excuse!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Kelty 12X12
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    HH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Believe it or not, I just broke down and ordered my 2nd SS! Mainly just couldn't pass up the price, plus it will at last give me a chance to check out the overcover. Don't know why I have not long ago tried out an OC.
    The overcover played a part in my decision also. I was likely going to buy one to check out at some point anyway - so I rationalized that the undercover & pad only cost me $60.

Mine should be on the doorstep when I get home!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    undecided
    Insulation
    JRB snivellers

The price looked right to me too...

Mine should be here by Tues evening... I'm inexperienced (not yet hung outside overnight) so the idea that the undercover could be a support system for any kind of insulation you might wanna throw under there is what sold me.... (along with the price) slide in an old sleeping bag..... or... stuff it with leaf debris in the fall... or just run it empty in the summer for extra moskito protection..... lots of room to experiment to see exactly what I might like. I live about 2 hrs from the Mn frozen butt hang location, and the idea of a system that could be adjusted or modified to bring me to comfort in those conditions excites me enough that I can almost imagine myself bumping into Shug some frosty January morning up on the north shore of Lake Superior.

I'm a relative hanger newb as well AJ and I've been PMing all the proponents of the HHSS and the one thing I hear consistently is the space blanket is a must. If you use a sleeping bag as extra insulation, make sure you use the space blanket as well as there are people on this forum who've experienced serious condensation issues. That's something I don't want to deal with in any serious fashion when it's cold and I"m tired.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Thanks for the heads up!

Mine's in the mail. Should be here for next weekend!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post
    Mine should be here by Tues evening... I'm inexperienced (not yet hung outside overnight) so the idea that the undercover could be a support system for any kind of insulation you might wanna throw under there is what sold me.... (along with the price) slide in an old sleeping bag..... or... stuff it with leaf debris in the fall... or just run it empty in the summer for extra moskito protection..... lots of room to experiment to see exactly what I might like. I live about 2 hrs from the Mn frozen butt hang location, and the idea of a system that could be adjusted or modified to bring me to comfort in those conditions excites me enough that I can almost imagine myself bumping into Shug some frosty January morning up on the north shore of Lake Superior.
    Well if you do, I think you will be the first ( that I know of) to winter hang in MN with a SS since kwpapke hung with Shug at minus 27.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6740
    ( a true classic thread, along with Shug's separate thread/video of the same event )
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-30-2011 at 15:11.

Thanks for the heads up. I jumped on the sale too.

Don't mean to hijack but it's sort of related. Anyone experience damage stuffing the open cell foam underpad into a stuff sack like the videos show on the HH homepage? Seems pretty rough for something advertised as more delicate and easily torn.
    My Paddle Making & Canoe Site: paddlemaking.blogspot.com

I've heard that the OCF pad is EXTREMELY delicate and most recommendations I see are to put it on a larger stuff sack. In the cold, fussing with this would ruin my afternoon.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murat V View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I jumped on the sale too.

Don't mean to hijack but it's sort of related. Anyone experience damage stuffing the open cell foam underpad into a stuff sack like the videos show on the HH homepage? Seems pretty rough for something advertised as more delicate and easily torn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I've heard that the OCF pad is EXTREMELY delicate and most recommendations I see are to put it on a larger stuff sack. In the cold, fussing with this would ruin my afternoon.
    The main risk to the pad is to poke a finger through it, which is about as hard to do as poking a finger through a slice of bread. But this has never happened to me as long as it is covered by either the space blanket and/or the UC. But when stuffing the entire thing into a stuff sack, it is pretty easy to have plenty of nylon and space blanket between your hands and the pad. Then I just compress the entire thing down smaller into a compression sack. I have never torn it doing this.

I have sometimes removed the pad and placed in a separate stuff sack while putting the hammock into snake skins. Being careful, I have never torn it doing this either. The trick is not to put much pressure on the pad without having some other fabric between you and the pad. Your fingers or foot will go right through that thing. After ~ 4 years, mine looks like crap. but it is still warm. I have put many a finger hole through it. (feet are a risk to with the bottom entry). Mostly I just patch the holes with some seam sealer. Good as new function, but ugly! Feels good, looks bad!

EDIT: this HH pad is probably the most fragile thing you will ever try to camp with. It is basically a sponge. However, the fragility will be a moot point if you decide to keep it all together after you first put it all together. Then the biggest risk to it is the bottom entry as you get in and out. After you push it to the side and get in, you may feel the need to grab it through the entrance and pull it back to the left. If you do, just be sure to try and grab it with some space blanket between you and the pad. Even if you manage to poke a hole through it in the field, just push the edges back together- it will still function quite well till you can patch it.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-30-2011 at 22:08.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast