Images

NOOB style IX questions yet again

We have been having some just barely cool temps again lately allowing me to play some more with my IX UQ. It is the very 1st one Mac designed, and specifically made to perfectly fit a HH Explorer. Which I use it on, as well as some other hammocks. But the fit is best on the HH, and there are zero problems keeping it positioned correctly if I run the HH side tie outs through the matching IX UQ loops. Mac made me a nice offer for a swap on one of the newer ones, but I decided to keep it. I may sell it one day and get one of the newer designs, or just keep it for extra inserts or to add an IX layer to my WB torso synthetic UQ, whatever.

But I have a couple of questions which I already thought I knew the answer to, but some slight doubt has jumped into my mind lately. If y'all don't mind I will ask these noob questions again here. And Mac will probably see the post and comment.

OK, my ( original style) IX UQ came with 2 layers. There was one layer with suspension attached which I always assumed was the bottom layer. Correct?

Are these layers the same size? They appear pretty close.

Soon after I bought it, Mac came out with the IX Tubes/Torso/butt warmers. He added one to mine. It is sewn to the layer that has the suspension attached. Which I again assume is the bottom layer. But is it? The reason I ask is because it seems to me I read somewhere that these IX Tubes were meant to hang down from an upper layer. If that is the case I have really been doing things wrong.

So, is it:
    1:the layer to which the shock cord suspension is attached always the outer layer?
    2: to which (the outer/suspension cord layer) is sewn the IX tube, which goes on the INSIDE of the suspension layer?
    3: Inserts are just that--- they are INSERTED(however many) on the inside of this outer layer, on top of the suspension layer and IX tube?
    4: Should the loops on these inserts be tied tightly to the loops on the outer/suspension layer, or loosely with an inch or 3 between the suspended layer loops and insert loops, or does it not matter at all?

I was so surprisingly warm the other day, plus that time I added them to my PeaPod( actually way too warm that cold night!), it just reminded me of the potential of this super light insulation and how I need to be getting it worked out. And I don't need to be uncertain or assuming wrong. So I hope you guys don't mind the questions as though I have never tried to keep warm in a hammock before! But I would rather ask a stupid question than to realize later I had things backwards all this time.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    you have helped me out a bunch. wish i knew the answer to this one man. free bump though

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    you have helped me out a bunch. wish i knew the answer to this one man. free bump though
    Thanks. I'll bump myself. Won't anybody help me? (trying to sound pitiful!)

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    It sounds like its all IX w/ no nylon shell, yes? If you were to hang it with the suspension layer on top, how big is the gap to the next layer, and if the suspension layer is on the bottom how big is the gap to the layer on top? If there is no noticeable diff, I'd say it doesn't matter. If the gap is rather large when suspension layer is on top, then that's probably wrong.

Its all hard to visualize w/o pix, but If you have a layer with the tubes pointing UP, and you lay an insert on top of that, then I'd say that is correct. the tube will give you an air gap between the layers, as opposed to just two flat layers lying on top of each other.
    I think what you're after is the goldilocks of gaps between layers, not too small, not too big, but just right.

I can't help you with your loop question.

Lastly, if it kept you warm, then you're doing it right. If someone ever tells you you're dong it wrong just make something up like "its too warm if I do it that way"

I'm now IX expert, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Hope this helps.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If his older IX underquilts are like the newer Shamu one that I have, then there is a different coloured tab in one of the corners vs the other 3. this different coloured tab is the left shoulder for the Shamu. This might help you orient yours correctly.

Also it should be fairly obvious that here is some shape to the UQ and I would think that the seams should go to the inside.

Hope this help

Brian

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    It sounds like its all IX w/ no nylon shell, yes?
    Yes! Or no, NO nylon shell, all IX.

If you were to hang it with the suspension layer on top, how big is the gap to the next layer, and if the suspension layer is on the bottom how big is the gap to the layer on top? If there is no noticeable diff, I'd say it doesn't matter. If the gap is rather large when suspension layer is on top, then that's probably wrong.
    Well, I'm not really sure as I am usually by myself and inside the hammock when using it. And so far I have never hung it that way, I always have the suspension layer on the bottom, which I THINK is correct. If it is not correct, and I have this backwards, then I have done pretty good taking it to the mid 40s and just barely being warm enough. However, some people have done much better- and Mac originally found it good to freezing for him- so that is what makes me wonder if I have things wrong.

Its all hard to visualize w/o pix, but If you have a layer with the tubes pointing UP, and you lay an insert on top of that, then I'd say that is correct.
    That is how I do it. The suspension layer on the bottom, and this layer has the IX tube sewn to it. I have placed my insert on top of that, tying it's loops to the matching suspension layer loops. Maybe that is the correct way.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If his older IX underquilts are like the newer Shamu one that I have, then there is a different coloured tab in one of the corners vs the other 3. this different coloured tab is the left shoulder for the Shamu. This might help you orient yours correctly.

Also it should be fairly obvious that here is some shape to the UQ and I would think that the seams should go to the inside.

Hope this help

Brian
    Sadly, no colored tabs for me! And I assume that the dark Gros Grain that runs at a diagonal goes on the outside. But that does not tell me for sure that the suspension layer is on the bottom.

How about you guys with the newer quilts? You have inserts, right? And you have one layer with a suspension? Is that suspension layer always the bottom most layer, with inserts added on top of that, going between your hammock and the suspension layer?

And, is your IX tube( or torso warmer) sewn to that suspension layer? ( when I say suspension layer, I mean the layer of IX that has the shock cord tied to it)

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    I agree with Red and would have the tubes facing up, since you don't have the outer nylon, with the IX insert on top.

I have a Baby Orca. It appears that the Torso Tube is sandwiched between the IX layers and then a nylon outer shell on the bottom.

Unfortunately, the cool weather has passed me by and I didn't get a lot of testing done after my new hammock finally arrived. I have used an UQP, Baby Orca and a full lenght IX insert (outside to inside) down to the low 50's. the I was plenty warm with this and will be happy to get to the mid 40's (cold sleeper).

FWIW, my summer setup under my BB 1.1 DL will be the full length IX and an UQP (breathable). Might even pull the full length for a 3/4 after some more testing.

Good Luck,
    marty

• + New Posts