Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images

My first diy hammock

20150907_090305.jpg20150907_090507.jpg20150907_090412.jpg20150907_090732.jpg
    Well here it is, my first diy hammock. Please excuse my drunken monkey style sewing, not very experienced with a thread injector yet. It ain't pretty,but it works. I'm thinking of calling it the Gonzo because the selling of an autographed book by Hunter S. Thompson provided the funds for the project.

It's a HH clone made from 70d taslan seconds from diy gear supply with cinch bucles, amsteel, and a zing it ridgeline i made with bling from dutchware. Thank you to both companies, the shipping was super fast and i really appreciate the personal note on the invoice.

If this 70d is seconds i can only guess at the quality of the firsts! This stuff is so soft, i thought it was cotton for a second there. Have only had time for some test hangs, and can't wait to sleep in it. Great material, even if it's not the lightest. But I'm a big guy so i feel safer using the heavy stuff.

Not done yet. My zipper coil came in today so an attached/zippered bug net is up next. I added an inside pocket after these photos, and started on a 2 sided stuff sack. So that and a ridgeline organizer and I'll call it done.

For the whipping i used the hennesy patent with a twist. When i sewed up the ends to make a tube i sewed 4in then left a 1in gap then sewed 4in more. When i went to folded the ends i placed my loop with bucles in the middle of the tube created. Got down to the last fold, pulled my loop out the 1in gap, put my ridgeline over it, did the last fold and larksheaded my loop around the whole thing. Then did my whipping with paracord. I think it gives a nice neat look with my rope coming out the bottom of my folds. Plus i know it isn't ever going to slip.

Many thanks and much respect to the members who posted how to's and advice. Especially hdchng4u who inspired the idea and to xtrecker for your how to videos. It's been fun, and all though I can't wait till it's done, I'll be sad when it is. Guess I'll have to start a next project. Like a tarp maybe... I do have a signed Dita Von Tease book up for sale, maybe a tarp called tease, hmmmmm.

Hammock
    DIY Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Looks great!
    It's not survival gear, it's just a bunch of work

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Thanks. I'm hoping to get the bug net on this weekend. Not looking forward to the zipper, but shouldn't be to bad It's only going to be on one side not all th way around.

So the first two pictures are of the Australian version then?

Looks great!

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've been wanting to try that taslan fabric in a hammock. I have a windbreaker made from it and it has such a nice feel to it.

Your hammock likes great. I've always liked the tiger strip camo.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ElanT View Post
    So the first two pictures are of the Australian version then?

Yea that way i don't need a tarp, rain just runs off!
    Was able to flip photos in gallery with help of an administrator, but am clueless how to on post. Was so excited to get picks up ( no picture it didn't happen) i just went with it. Got zipper and bugnet on today, just a few stitches to redo then I'll have more(rightside up) pics.

Looks great!

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    I've been wanting to try that taslan fabric in a hammock. I have a windbreaker made from it and it has such a nice feel to it.

Your hammock likes great. I've always liked the tiger strip camo.
    Thank you. Always liked that pattern as well. When i saw it on the diy gear supply website i knew i wanted it.
    Had a chance to nap in it for a few hours today. The fabric is so soft and comfy. Very breathable could feel the breezes blowing through. Not to much stretch, just enough. Not the lightest material, but should take some abuse. Got the bugnet in and the whole thing with suspension and 1.0 ripstop stuff sack weighs just a tad over 2lbs.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    20150913_175249.jpg20150913_175929.jpg
    Finnished , for now... Stuff sack and bugnet done
    20150913_175944.jpg
    Amsteel zipper pulls, just because. Plus they match.
    20150913_180024.jpg
    Inside pocket
    20150913_180043.jpg
    Top down.
    Can't wait, perfect weather tonight. Sleeping out in new hammock.

Images
    Nice work.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Looks good. I would like to add a zipper and integrated bug net to my next hammock. Any lessons learned from having done it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast