DB 68 Custom DL; WWM 64 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly camo
    Insulation
    HG 40*; UGQ 0*/20*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    A most heinous occurrence; I have to work this weekend so will not be joining. Have fun, everyone, and stay toasty

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    still tweaking
    Due to multiple roadblocks, won't be able to get there until early Sat. Also decided to scrap the salad (freezing issues) and make a veg based soup. Can add whatever wanted.....even goat!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I will have an extra tarp (a British basha), and a 20° snugfit bag just in case. As we are car camping, extra gear isn't an issue this time around

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Dave really sorry to hear that. You will be miss. Keep tuned for the next one.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hi all! Im new to hangin but a long time hiker with a lifetime in the woods. Im gonna try to make it this weekend. If I cant talk my mom into watching my kids while my wife is working, im just gonna come for the day sat. Im only an hr away, so it couldnt be much closer, unless you guys had chosen mt monadnock, I can see it out my window as I type this. Are you gonna have a swap meet as some people had mentioned? If so has any time been established? I cant wait to meet some of you guys and see some cool hammocks.
    Mark

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Mark you are welcome anytime. As to the swap there really hasn't been a time set for that. I can say tentatively 2is on Saturday. I am really just throwin that out there though. Anything can happen. Lol
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveocelott View Post
    You are going to have to explain this self feeding fire for me.
    ===> Well, I'll try, Most wood campfires are started and burned from the 'bottom up'. A small teepee fire with kindling is started, then one puts successively larger pieces of fuel/wood on top of the fire as it gets bigger, and consumes the smaller pieces.

There are several fire lays for a self-feeding fire. The most common today is built by laying the largest logs/pieces as a flat base, close together. Then another, slightly smaller layer is laid crosswise on top of the base. This is repeated, alternating the size and crisscross orientation of each layer until you reach the desired height. You now have an almost solid pyramid made with alternating cross layers. You THEN build a tinder/teepee style fire on TOP of the pyramidal fire stack, tending that for a bit.

As the fire burns, hot coals drop down into the lower layer(s) and ignite the larger pieces. Those pieces send larger coals down to the succeeding layers, the fire in effect "feeding" itself! A well built fire stack can last almost 12 hours, depending on fuel size, spacing of logs, and stack height, as the fire collapses into itself, creating a huge bed of nice hot coals ready for cooking breakfast in the morning!

Makes some nice charcoal for water filtration and Pine Pitch glue, too!

Why get up???

~ SkyPainter - The Hammocker / Bushcrafter
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict
    Looking forward to starting the packing adventure tonight and bringing the boy on his first winter campout.

I will bring my Mamajamba, doors, and a blue wallyworld tarp, but unless my winter palace arrives soon, I'd welcome a loaner.

Given the possibility of bailing early if he doesn't 'get' the joy of winter camping, I am reluctant to specifically put in for a meal, but I will be bringing enough food for us and some to share. Dutch oven and double pie iron will be packed. I'm a tea junkie and will probably make several pots, so stick close and bring a mug if you enjoy a well-brewed pot of tea.

I saw someone else is bringing some reflectix, I'll plan to bring along my roll, scissors, and foil tape so we can get a pot/pouch cozy workshop going while supplies last.

Hammock
    DHTBird,WBBB.draumrxl
    Tarp
    Camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie *snicker*
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_p View Post
    A most heinous occurrence; I have to work this weekend so will not be joining. Have fun, everyone, and stay toasty
    Bummer, I was looking forward to checking out your fancy new gear.
    If it moves, you can eat it. No promises you will think it tastes good.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    Looking forward to starting the packing adventure tonight and bringing the boy on his first winter campout.

I will bring my Mamajamba, doors, and a blue wallyworld tarp, but unless my winter palace arrives soon, I'd welcome a loaner.

Given the possibility of bailing early if he doesn't 'get' the joy of winter camping, I am reluctant to specifically put in for a meal, but I will be bringing enough food for us and some to share. Dutch oven and double pie iron will be packed. I'm a tea junkie and will probably make several pots, so stick close and bring a mug if you enjoy a well-brewed pot of tea.

I saw someone else is bringing some reflectix, I'll plan to bring along my roll, scissors, and foil tape so we can get a pot/pouch cozy workshop going while supplies last.
    ====>. I will also be bringing a few extra grill grates for those of you carry either a BushBuddy or Emberlit wood burning stove. Will also have a 3 ft roll of Hardware Cloth, Tin Snips, and a full roll of Max Duty All Weather DucT Tape- the Real Deal- not the phoney wimpy "Duck Tape" being Pawned off today! This is the real 100 MPH tape we know and love! So we can make Pot Stands for stoves, bigger grills, or animal traps as desired.

~ SkyPainter ~ If it moves, you can eat it.
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 61 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast