Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wyattd5 View Post
    Does anyone use the USGI sleep system? I have two complete USGI sets and while the entire set is heavy, I have them. I used to sleep on top of one while getting in the second if needed. Does the gortex bivy act as a barrier to heat loss the way a pad does? I also have poncho liners and wool blankets I could use in side the bivy if a bag is too much. I have one down bag, an old USGI mountain sleeping bag that is great but also heavy. I have a bivy over this one also.

I know about TQ and the benefits but I have this stuff already and would like to utilize it.

Any experience/ideas/combos that work best?

Im in Florida= summer 95-72, winter 75-25 (only a couple freezes a year.)

Brand new Claytor jungle hammock
    I have the current GI Issue ACU Modular Sleeping Bag System it has the five pieces. The ACU Bivy Cover, the Foliage Green Patrol Bag, the Urban Gray Intermediate Bag, and two stuff sack; one big stuff sack for all the Modular Sleeping System and a small bag to use two sleeping bags. Yes, their heavy and bulky worth every penny. The Patrol bag warmer and cool temperature. The intermediate bag is for cold temperature. I've used it last winter it 20 degrees their pretty warm i love this sleeping system. I think its one of the best sleeping system outer.

Images
    i have a video on you tube on libra1369

I am looking at getting one very soon. Being that the whole system is rated to -30* is it nessesary to use an UQ or will I be ok with out one. I live in NE Ohio. But I may be wrong cuz I no there is cold air flowing underneath me. Because it is a 3 layer system there is some insulation underneath you and adding a thermarest sleeping pad I was thinking I would be ok without one. Anyone test this or do it?

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorJunkie1992 View Post
    I am looking at getting one very soon. Being that the whole system is rated to -30* is it nessesary to use an UQ or will I be ok with out one. I live in NE Ohio. But I may be wrong cuz I no there is cold air flowing underneath me. Because it is a 3 layer system there is some insulation underneath you and adding a thermarest sleeping pad I was thinking I would be ok without one. Anyone test this or do it?
    Even though that sleep system is rated to -30, you will still need something underneath you, either an underquilt or a thermarest pad, in cold temps. When you lay in the hammock, the sleeping bag underneath you gets compressed, and loses much of its insulating value. I have used this system on ground before with temps in the 20-40 range and definitely needed a pad underneath me.

Also, Ive always doubted that -30 rating. Ive never been that low, but I froze my butt off one night in 18 degrees, and I had a pad underneath me.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Quote Originally Posted by ernesthemmingway View Post
    Even though that sleep system is rated to -30, you will still need something underneath you, either an underquilt or a thermarest pad, in cold temps. When you lay in the hammock, the sleeping bag underneath you gets compressed, and loses much of its insulating value. I have used this system on ground before with temps in the 20-40 range and definitely needed a pad underneath me.

Also, Ive always doubted that -30 rating. Ive never been that low, but I froze my butt off one night in 18 degrees, and I had a pad underneath me.
    Ok, ill test it with a thermarest pad and if I get cold ill get an underquilt for colder temps. Thanks

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I have the old sleep system and use the black bag as insulation between the green and gortex. I was very comfortable at 50 and it may have dropped into the upper 40's with rain. I'm not sure how cold it would have to be for me to climb into the black bag.

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    Big Belly reserves
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have two of the old woodland systems and am learning...thank you HF

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    mamajamba/ HG WP
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Sorry a little off topic.

Can this system be stored in the stuff sacked compressed? Or will it effect the loft of the insulation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12