Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

See Nick run...

Sorry, this first one wasn't while I was hanging...

Some where before albert mtn(I believe) there was a big dead rhody tunnel going up, but once I started down the foliage was coming back to life and not so depressing and I had seen grassy expanses off the right side of the trail maybe 20ft in diameter so I figured I'd pull off to the side a bit and take a leak. I had just finished and was getting ready to go when something sounded like a person had just exhaled loudly through their' nose and I turned around expecting to see one of the guys in the group behind me.

Instead all I glimpsed was a human calve and barefoot as it dissappeared silently into SOLID rhody forest... I hadn't seen anyone after I left everyone when I woke up that morning and the forest can get creepy alone... I pulled out my little buck knife and walked closer to where they had dissappeared and there was a rusted iron cross sticking out of the ground and a pile of stones... I didn't poop, I didn't run, but I think if I had tried to open my mouth I would have started yelling; and not the sane,"is someone out there?", but the I've been alone too long and I'm in the middle of nowhere and I just saw a woman's bare leg dissappear into the forest where an old grave is sort of scream(I imagine it would be mostly vowels).

The hanging story was last fall my friend J and I were going camping so he could get a little use out of his HH. It had poured rain and was freezing so after cooking up dinner and playing some cards(we need to find two other people down here so we can play eucher) we retired to our hammocks for the night. At about 3 in the morning I wake up to the sound of a plastic bottle being mangled and it wasn't out by our bear bag it was about 5 feet behind my head and J was on the opposite side. Finally the crunch popping stopped but from the shuffling of leaves, whatever it was, was coming straight toward me. So yet again my little knife came out and I rolled out of my hammock and to my feet ready for the worst thinking, "please not a hog". But there wasn't anything there just the same rock wall... then the plastic bottle started up again about 5 feet behind me so I spun around to see J smashing a water bottle down into his pack and he goes, "Dude is that a knife? Do you always jump out of bed with a knife ready?" The sound had been bouncing off the rock wall
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Gee that first story is a lot freeky
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    nickel,
    where did the person attached to the leg and foot go?
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Kyle - I couldn't tell you, the brush was solid and like I said, it was silent. The most reasonable thing would be to say that some sort of nutritional imbalance from eating trail food made me prone to halucination... the grave half hidden by the brush would have to be just a creepy coincidence... I try not to give to much thought to whether ghost's exist. The whole thing creeped me out enough that from where I started that day a quarter mile before standing indian shelter(this shelter doesn't quite sound right)(?) I hiked 25 or 26 miles pretty quick and while I was getting ready to bed down my israeli friend caught up and I talked him into hiking the next 10(?) miles into franklin so we could split a room that night.
    (?) = I just moved into a new place and I can't find my trail guide to give the actual distances from standing indian shelter to the road to hitch in to franklin
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    The scariest and worse night I ever spent was on top of a hill in a thunderstorm. The lightning got us all trembling, then old Ed got out his big kettle of his home made chili. He put that two eared kettle on the fire and burnt it to a crisp on the bottom of the pan. Then he stirred it up and brought all those crunchy, burnt tasting morsels to the top. We all tried to eat it, but alas, we had to bury it about fifty feet from the camp to keep from throwing up all night.
    Late in the night, maybe a little after midnight, we heard more digging. Oh great! we thought, the possums have found the chili. All of us got up our currage, me, I was holding my nose and breathing shallow, the others were doing whatever it took to get the nerve up to approach the chili graveyard. The digging kept on going as we silently crept up on the noise. What we saw was at first shocking! The coons and possums were digging as if their life depended on it. THEY WERE THROWING MORE DIRT ON THE CHILI!
    What a relief!
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    .The digging kept on going as we silently crept up on the noise. What we saw was at first shocking! The coons and possums were digging as if their life depended on it. THEY WERE THROWING MORE DIRT ON THE CHILI!
    What a relief!
    LOL... now that had to be pretty bad stuff
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    well this wasnt in a hammock but anyway. my mate and i were kayaking and we set up camp on this little beach on the river which we were on. when we went to bed we head footsteps outside. i went outside to makesure it wasnt someone taking my fishing gear or something but i couldnt se anything. so i went back to our tent and we heard it about 5 minutes later. we were starting to freakout especially after my mate mentioned the black panther (suposidly there is on roaming the area and it has been for years and theres been the ocasional siting) so we got our knives and were up till about 2 am a scared s**tless. after that i think we got so tired that we fell asleep. i woke up with my knife in my sleeping bag to that could have ended badly
    Cheers, Jay

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    now that's got me laughing

a couple years ago a friend & i went to trail days (my 1st time) & to camp we drove back out of town several miles to a camp site right beside the road that we had seen on the way in.

there were rowdys riding up & down the road through the night & there was some kind of road forking off going down into the woods behind us.

in the middle of the night i woke to see a couple sets of headlights down in the woods just below us, pointing toward us!

several rednecks were hollering at us w/ bad intent!

i knew they were moving in on us!!! so i did the only thing i knew to do in that fearful moment... i swung from my hammock, landing on two feet running toward them as hard as i could, screaming a war cry as i rushed toward the headlights!!!

then i really woke up... & asked my friend if he herd me holler
    A couple years ago, some buddies and me were outside of Damascus ridin' round drinkin' a few cold ones, just minding our own. Well, you know how it is when your drinking beer, sometimes you have to just pull over and pee. We pulled over, and got out, a buddy of mine stepped in a hole and was hollerin' at me to watch out for this hole, when out of nowhere comes this redneck crashing down through the woods and hollerin' and screamin' at the top of his lungs. We thought it was sasquatch, scared us to death, I peed all over myself cause I was in mid stream, stepped in the hole my buddy was hollering about and fell flat on my face. Finally got back in the truck and took off. From this day on, we never go out in the woods at night during trail days.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Couldn't be the same group of guys, could it??
    How weird would that be
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Images
    Now THAT'S funny!!!!!!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast