WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Suitable insulation system?

Hello helpful people -

following the recommendations in this forum, I ordered a WB BB, but I still need to add some kind of insulation. Since I have no experience with hammock camping (yet), I would like to hear the opinions of experienced hangers.

My question is: which insulation would you pick in my place?

The situation is a follows:

• I will be travelling for a longer time in different climates (moderate to tropical).
    • I assume that I will be mostly in a 3-season-situation: at the moment I don't plan to sleep outdoors when it's excessively cold. Nontheless I would like my insulation system be able to deal with temperatures down to 0°C (32°F).
    • I am limited by the fact that I have to carry everything with me - it would not make sense to have completely different systems for each climate.
    • I expect to go to ground now and then, since there won't be hanging options in all regions.
    • Of course the system should take up as little space as possible and be reasonably light.
    • I intend to travel mostly by bike, but also do some hiking: weight is an issue, but not so much as if I would go hiking exclusively. I could select and take only parts of the complete equipment when hiking.
    • I'm a (very) cold sleeper.
    • I hate drafts.

I realize that the best solution would be to try out different systems, and then pick the one that works best for me. Unfortunately there is not sufficient time to do this. In addition I'm located in Europe, which means that I need to factor in the long(er) shipping times.

Your input is very much appreciated.

-hutzelbein

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Your choice of a BB is a good one. Give Brandon your details and let him get all your gear. One shipping fee has got to be better than three or four shipments coming seperately.
    The yeti uq is a popular choice, his topquilt is too. I've not used either, but I've seen them and they are really nice. Pack small.
    Might as well get one of his tarps too.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome Hutzlbein . Because of the temps your talking about , your need to go to ground once and a while and your sensitivity to drafts i would suggest you get a yeti underquilt from warbonnet and something like a golite 20 sleeping bag that you can open over you or use as a bag on the ground or one of the wide quilts from Jacks r better to eliminate the draft situation. I have one of the jacks quilts and its awesome , i'm sure they could asist you as can stormcrow or warbonnet with your Topquilt needs. Good luck in your travels .
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I already ordered the Superfly plus doors together with the hammock.

I'm still a bit hesitant to get a down underquilt. Wouldn't something like an Insultex underquilt be a good idea, especially for areas with high humidity?

At the moment I'm not considering a top quilt, yet, since I have 2 sleeping bags that I want to try first (forgot to mention this).

I like the "hammock sock" idea. However, I couldn't find any non-DIY versions. Is there a reason why socks aren't more popular? I would imagine that they have quite an impact, seeing that they keep cold air from entering the hammock. Am I wrong here?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    I have one of the jacks quilts and its awesome , i'm sure they could asist you as can stormcrow or warbonnet with your Topquilt needs.
    Does a top quilt eliminate drafts in the head area? Maybe I didn't get the concept: I thought it's used like a blanket?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Does a top quilt eliminate drafts in the head area? Maybe I didn't get the concept: I thought it's used like a blanket?
    A top quilt is a lot like using a blanket but it usually has an enclosed footbox. It doesn't provide head coverage. I like top quilts but if you're very sensitive to drafts a mummy bag may be better. With a TQ you always have to be careful about how you shift position to avoid letting cold air in.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I would suggest if you are gonna go to the ground not to go with the underquilt as it is useless on the ground. I would suggest going with a ccf pad or a gossamer gear 1/4 inch wide thinlight pad. Got it down to 50* on a nap in the winter and I'm a cold sleeper as well.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A combination of the WB Yeti 3-season UQ with the Jacks-r-Better Torso Pad would be a good combination. The 40"x26" pad is big enough for a go-to-ground torso pad, but offers effective leg and foot insulation in a WBBB down to freezing or a bit below. It weighs only 6.5 oz and is a real bargain at $9.95. On the ground you can use a pack under your legs. The Yeti 3-season has been good for me down to temps between 25 and 30 degrees Fahrenheit using a 25 degree down bag and appropriate clothing. The Yeti is lightweight and packs very small...good for most situations.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For the humid conditions synthetic insulation would be a good choice if you are concerned about the use of down gear in the conditions you expect. We have a huge range of quilts both under and top and can add IX to them to boost the performance.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

suggestions

For bottom insulation a combination of NeoAir and ccf pads are best for going to the ground.

A hood will keep your head warm:

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/category/hoods/

For the top a quilt designed for hammock use is not wide enough - maybe:

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/sawatch-sleeping-bag/
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast