Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Eureka Chrysalis Deconstructed.

Companion thread to previous Chrysalis thread.
    Chrysalis' designer's site.

Before we go anywhere, I will point out that when I purchased the Eureka Chrysalis this week (on sale though Cabelas $119+shipping), I knew that I would not be using it as packaged. For one, I do not see the utility of the tent-like top and would much rather have a tarp under which I could sit, see the world and have more rain coverage of my hanging area. Secondly, the beast comes ready to set up with a total weight of 93.3oz! And third, I suck at sewing. Plain and simple. So where I could have struggled through making a bridge hammock, or bought a JRB BMBH, modification of this little known/used beastie just seemed like fun and the easier way out.

The specs:
    Total weight out of the box: 93.3oz
    Stuff sack: 1.5oz
    Tent/tarp top: 19.4oz
    Hammock with strap suspension and attached bars: 72.4oz

Deconstructing:
    Carabiners: heavy steel 4.3oz each
    Head end spreader: steel 3/4" diameter, 39" in 2 sections, 10.9oz total
    Foot end spreader: steel 3/4" diameter, 35" in 2 sections, 10.5oz total
    Hammock body (without suspension): 22.1oz
    Suspension (minus carabiners): 20.3oz this also includes rain caps, and attached stock bar covers.

Dimensions:
    Width at head spreader bar: 43" (see note below in post#15)
    Width at foot spreader bar: 46"
    Width at narrowest: 28"
    Head suspension triangle length: 38"
    Foot suspension triangle side length: 36"
    Distance between spreader bars: ~68"
    Ridge line: 121"
    Length of body, top edge when folded in half: 121"
    Length of body, bottom edge when folded in half: 96"
    Capacity (per manufacturer): 225#

Reconstructed:
    Removed everything from hammock body. Cut new Quest 5/8" aluminum spreader bars to length (5.6oz and 4.8oz respectively). Attached 7/16" whoopies and Lash-it ridgeline. Added 4' tree huggers, a pair of Dutch clips, and two aluminum toggles.

New reconstructed weight: 38.2oz. Not great in comparison to some other rigs, but at almost 1/2 the original weight, it's not too bad.

"So how's the comfort," you ask? Well, in my short career of hammocking I have owned (in order) the Clark NA, Hennessy Expedition, ENO DN, WBBB 1.7dl, TTTM King, and a diy GE made in the fashion of the WB traveller. Of these, I still have the DIY and the others have been used to fuel the next purchase. Of these purchased hammocks, I liked the WBBB best, followed by the ENO. And although I slept OK in both the WBBB and ENO, I slept just as well in the DIY, thus that's the one I kept. Overall, I haven't found THE Hammock for me. Guess I'm picky. I have laid in the JRB BMBH once, for about 5 minutes so my bridge experience is essentially nonexistent.

In the short bit that I have been hanging today, I would say that the Chrysalis is the most comfortable I have laid in. Definitely better than my DIY GE and the ENO. Probably better (for me) than the WBBB (though I really did like that one). I like the flat lay. Perhaps because of the wider spreader at the head I don't feel any squeeze. It does not feel tippy. There is just enough curve toward the head that I think I'd be OK without a pillow, though a small one might make it nicer. The narrower cut in the center affords a good view without needing to sit up.

I'll have to come back to this and answer the question once I have had some more time in the Chrysalis. But so far, once the weight was shed, I'm pretty happy with it. Not using the tent-like cover, you lose any bug protection. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Chrysalis photo album. Loaded these backwards, so start at the end for stock setup.
    Last edited by BER; 07-20-2010 at 15:24. Reason: small change to reflect post#15

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice work BER, and speedy too. Glad to hear it comfortable. Are the main body panels of the hammock seamed together? Each panel a little different? Sorta cat cut on a panelized version?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Nice job on cutting the weight!
    I may reconsider my decision to leave mine alone.

Might just try Arrowhead Equipment's UL cinch buckles w/chain links and a different ridgeline. Dutch clips would definitely beat the steel carabiners!

Are your spreader bars one piece?
    Where did you get the aluminum spreader bars?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    That's a great reconstruction/ remodel job. thumbs up . Those biners look like the ones on my boat winch, need a winch to pick them up.. GREAT JOB!

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Nice work BER, and speedy too. Glad to hear it comfortable. Are the main body panels of the hammock seamed together? Each panel a little different? Sorta cat cut on a panelized version?
    Yes, seamed together but very flat seam on the upper surface. I lack the knowledge to name the type of seam. (Edit: French seam...maybe) Taped on the bottom surface. I believe the body has a water repellent coating on the bottom as well. Definitely not sil. Each panel is cut shorter as you approach the middle to form the cat cut.

Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    Are your spreader bars one piece?
    Where did you get the aluminum spreader bars?
    The aluminum spreaders bars were from Quest Outfitters. Head spreader is three lengths 13" each, foot spreader is two lengths 17.5" each.
    Last edited by BER; 07-19-2010 at 18:49.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Finally I get to see it topless. Very bridge like. Just make the suspension triangle incased with fabric. Kind of hard to see the market they were going after.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I like it. I'll try to diy the shape and the big storage areas. Just make it to hold me!! lol
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I like it. I'll try to diy the shape and the big storage areas. Just make it to hold me!! lol
    I'll send you a set of 4.3oz carabiners if you like Gargoyle. They'll hold ya!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Interesting BER. Thanks for showing the hammock & your improvements.
    I knew it was over built, like a lot of commercial stuff, & could be made lighter. And if a person made their own, it could no doubt be made lighter yet.
    And I was like you in that I knew the small tarp top would have to go (for me anyway).
    But I find the design an interesting twist on the other bridge hammocks we see here. It would be interesting to hear comparisons, differences, pros & cons, between this & other bridge hammock variations (I'm guessing that bridge hammock makers would call this a bridge as well?).

I really do like the idea of built in storage, but I think I might do something a little different though.

I noticed you mentioned "the transverse strips of fabric rather than one long lengthwise piece". How many seams does the hammock body have?

BER, you know you really need to bring that hammock to Linville Gorge in Oct
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Interesting BER. Thanks for showing the hammock & your improvements.
    I knew it was over built, like a lot of commercial stuff, & could be made lighter. And if a person made their own, it could no doubt be made lighter yet.
    And I was like you in that I knew the small tarp top would have to go (for me anyway).
    But I find the design an interesting twist on the other bridge hammocks we see here. It would be interesting to hear comparisons, differences, pros & cons, between this & other bridge hammock variations (I'm guessing that bridge hammock makers would call this a bridge as well?).

I really do like the idea of built in storage, but I think I might do something a little different though.

I noticed you mentioned "the transverse strips of fabric rather than one long lengthwise piece". How many seams does the hammock body have?

BER, you know you really need to bring that hammock to Linville Gorge in Oct
    SH- there are 9 transverse panels plus the 4 polyhedral panels that make up the head and foot storage areas. The transverse panels alternate 7" (5) and 10" (4). The spreader bars are positioned at the midpoint of the first and seventh panel.

Yup, I agree, replicating the design as a DIY would certainly drop weight. There are 8 fairly large patches of velcro on the body, the orange binding on the edges is pretty heavy duty, and the fabric itself is pretty heavy.

If anyone wants to loan me some other bridges I'd be happy to compare them. But I think my hammock buying needs to settle down for a while.

It is unlikely that I will make it to Linville in October as I have promised to take my wife to Napa for her birthday that month. But I would be happy to loan it to you in October to try out.

And along that line, if anybody wants some super heavy duty carabiners, some bright orange straps, or the Chrysalis tent cover, I'll send them to you for the price of shipping.
    Last edited by BER; 07-20-2010 at 14:43.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast