Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Pics of the modified gathered end

Here are some pics of the mods I did to tighten the sides and to create "pockets" on either side of the center for shoulder relief and foot space. I will have some more pics when I get a chance to hang it and take a well deserved nap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WVassello View Post
    Does anyone skip the gear hammock and just pull the pack into the hammock? Maybe hang it off a loop near the end like the ridgeline attachment.
    I do this when I'm using my DIY hammock. Not as much room in the Hennessy but still possible. With the DIY, I just use an s-biner to clip the pack to the suspension and let it sit on the foot end of the hammock. I can scaffle around inside the pack just by sitting up in the hammock. Having the pack in the hammock only really works because the hammock is huge. It's 12' long. It just barely fits under the big Guide Gear tarp and I LOVE IT! It's ridiculously comfy.

I also have open nacrabiners threaded through the whipping at each end on both hammocks. I can hook them to the suspension and hang things from them inside the hammock if needed. That's the way I have to do it with the Hennessy because of the bugnet.

Boris

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVassello View Post
    Here are some pics of the mods I did to tighten the sides and to create "pockets" on either side of the center for shoulder relief and foot space. I will have some more pics when I get a chance to hang it and take a well deserved nap.
    Can you explain what's being shown in the pics? In pic #3 is the end channel of the hammock on the left? If yes, then it looks like you have made the ends narrower than the sides? Not sure if others have tried this. I thought the more common approach to tighten the sides was to leave the end channel full length but cut it with curved ends instead of straight.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

pic descripts

Sorry about the delay in reply. I have not been checking in lately.

The shape ends up being like 2 humps. This has the effect of pulling in the sides and the middle a little tighter. This gives you a little bit of slack on either side of the middle. Kind of like the "W" whip but using the gathered end method.

My first shots at the mods. Seems to be working out well so far.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Finished size is 134 x 58". Ridgeline is 108".
    How is that length for you? I am about to start a hammock project, but am trying to figure out what length of material to use and a good ridgeline dimension. I have only slept in a Hennessy, and it was OK, but felt a little short for me, like it was too saggy? I was more bowed up than I would have liked, with too much elevation for my feet. I am 6'4" and just want to sleep relatively flat. Would appreciate any help from you, or any other folks that read this!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    the general consensus is your height plus 2 or 3 feet-on each end; but with a diagonal lay (to enhance flatness) you might need a bit less. I suggest 4 yards of a decent weight nylon or poly material- whatever you can pick up for cheap will suffice for testing purposes, and try the knotted end or lashed sheet bend (?) technique to see if it is better (no sewing required!). if that is too big/heavy/loose or whatever, it is easier to move the knot/lashing than to rip out and resew channels.
    hope this helps! KM

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Another fitting trick, before doing any sewing, is to start with an overlong length of fabric. Slip each hammock end through a ring (think napkin ring) before tying the end knots. You can adjust the effective length of the hammock by moving the rings in or out, then take the measurement once you find a length that works for you.

- Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catsnack View Post
    How is that length for you? I am about to start a hammock project, but am trying to figure out what length of material to use and a good ridgeline dimension. I have only slept in a Hennessy, and it was OK, but felt a little short for me, like it was too saggy? I was more bowed up than I would have liked, with too much elevation for my feet. I am 6'4" and just want to sleep relatively flat. Would appreciate any help from you, or any other folks that read this!
    I'm 6'2" and that hammock is a great fit. I think even with the 2" you have on me you'd be comfortable in it as well.

When in doubt, go long. You can always remove material but you can't add it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Knotty - Thanks a ton for the instructions and video! I just took the maiden hang in my first DIY hammock. Three weeks ago I bought an old sewing machine practiced on a few stuff sack, then progressed to a Jerry chair and now your hammock.

I am now officially hooked on the MYOG thing...

By the way mine is made from one layer of some very light poly ripstop that I grabbed at WW. I am 6'2" & 260# and the hammock holds me just fine. Here's a pic of the fabric:

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll post a pic of the hammock in a few...

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Here are some pics of my new hammock:

[IMG][/IMG]

This one shows the connection of the ridgeline to the suspension. I reused my old WBBB suspension that I replaced with whoopie slings - it was already made up and looked lonely sitting a gear box in the basement... I ran the ridgeline through the hole in the gathered end and then passed the suspension lines through the loop in the ridgeline before I secured to larkshead. I may change that so that the ridge does not go through the gathered end and just attaches to the suspension. The way I have it now keeps me from hanging stuff on the gathered ball (UQ suspension, stuff sacks, etc...).
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here is my guinea pig testing the weight holding capacity of this super light WM fabric. I started with 82# son, then ???# wife, then 260# self and was shocked that it held me great, no stress or damage at all. There was some stretch when I got in but not much. I am shocked this stuff held me. I really built this thinking that for $6 in fabric it would be good sewing practice, which it was. But this stuff is amazingly strong and so light the slightest breeze caused the fabric to lift when empty.
    [IMG][/IMG]

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast