Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    It is funny that this issue came up now.

My Bro and I like to "give a little" back to the trail, so almost every backpacking trip we leave something better than we found it.

For example, one shelter had no place to hang gear, so rather than do the "quick and dirty" and install those pathetic little metal screw in hooks (that always seem to dig a hole in your head, or drop your wet gear on your sleeping bag: next time we were in the area, we brought sanded and cut to order dowel rods and installed them. Finding a great price on some rakes, we cut the handles off and left them by the firepits at shelters that needed them. Cleaning out fire pits, etc.

One of the thoughts we had for ourselves and folks on the forum was to hook up with the Club that is responsible for a section of the AT and talk to them about putting a daisy chain of metal poles in so that hangers could choose between going native (in the woods) or going fast (using the poles). The idea of having only one center pole along with a number of outside poles is very attractive to me.

Once we get the Nay or Yeah from our Club...then the problem of getting hammock hangers and materials volunteered so that we could actually implement the idea. Worst comes to worst, if the Club agrees, we could put in the center pole and one outside pole...and do the other outside poles as time/energy/money allows.

What do you think?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I think most of the time hanging does not damage the trees. Having said that you might be better to educate the greater hammock family who use the parks in your area , on what trees to be careful of rather than bring up a possible problem to officials who might find it easier to just ban the activity rather than find depleted funds to manage it. Lets not try to fix a problem with hardware and official's before we've actually established that there is a problem.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As a backpacker I am more often than not quasi-stealthing off the beaten path or campsite and reckon the two trees I choose won't see another hammock ever or for quite a while. I look for sturdy bark but in a few cases I was just happy to have any ol' tree to hang from.
    In that case I just look at what woodpecker, bugs, lightning, blight, wind and other natural elements have done to the tree and feel that my impact is pretty minimal .... in my mind.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    What we need is some research to define the problem. Does anyone have knowledge of any tree that actually has some damage that looks like it might have been caused by hammock hanging, either by straps or skinny ropes???

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    As a backpacker I am more often than not quasi-stealthing off the beaten path or campsite and reckon the two trees I choose won't see another hammock ever or for quite a while. I look for sturdy bark but in a few cases I was just happy to have any ol' tree to hang from.
    In that case I just look at what woodpecker, bugs, lightning, blight, wind and other natural elements have done to the tree and feel that my impact is pretty minimal .... in my mind.
    Shug
    What he said ...

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu Trekking
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    When a rope (etc) is wrapped around an object the resistance due to friction increases exponentially with the angle subtending the arc of contact. How much that actually is of course depends on the diameter of the object and the coefficient of friction but that doesn't matter much.

What's important is that the force decreases very rapidly and the full force of the hammock is only exerted on the rope at the point where it contacts the bark. I expect we're all aware that by the time you've wrapped webbing twice around a tree the force on the end is almost zero.

Therefore any damage will tend to be limited to a relatively small section of bark and not all round the tree. I'm no expert but as I understand it "ringing" a tree is the thing that kills them minor superficial injuries to the bark are relatively harmless.

Finally, we all have an impact on the environment indeed the environment is how it is because of the presence of people. LNT is a good philosophy but a practical impossibility, while we would I'm sure all want to minimise our impact we need a touch of realism if we want to enjoy the great outdoors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Talking Couldn't help myself

If we don't take precaution hanging our hammocks, all the world's dogs might also suffer.

Last edited by Cannibal; 04-07-2010 at 12:29.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Heck, here in the Ozarks the land stewards of public lands are always burning off the forests. I can rarely tell where I've hung my hammocks, but I can sure see fire scars. You can't even find a place to hang because of all the underbrush, and they are trying to burn that out. Would it be a sin to snap a few small bushes to find a place to hang?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    Heck, here in the Ozarks the land stewards of public lands are always burning off the forests. I can rarely tell where I've hung my hammocks, but I can sure see fire scars. You can't even find a place to hang because of all the underbrush, and they are trying to burn that out. Would it be a sin to snap a few small bushes to find a place to hang?
    Not as far as i'm concerned. If you feel guilty plant a few trees, but space them about 18ft apart.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    They do that out in the west as well. Heck, they do it so well that a few years ago, they darned near burned down the town of Los Alamos and the National Laboratory along with the underbrush they were clearing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast