Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I'll give up my down the day I see ducks flying around wearing little insultex vests.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Your argument is pad vs UQ

I'm stating that multiple layers of IX used as a pad is a better choice over stiffer WW type CCF's for reasons I've already stated above.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    and as i stated 8+ layers of IX will not pack down smaller then a pad... and will weight more then most pads

you also stated it will be more flexible this may be true but your off about the rest...
    i just went down and got IX out of my fabric bin i made a 8 layer pad 8inch wide by 36inch long and at that sizes it packs down the same size as a 1L Nalgene bottle .... and thats only a fraction of a size of the one he plans to make .... it's going to be a big bulky pad when it's done
    the point is IX works best when you let "Air gaps" catch hot air in between layers....
    so your saying a big bulky pad made out of IX is better then a UQ made out of 1/3 the IX and 1/3 the weight and packs down 1/3 the size ?
    to me thats not brilliant it's a step back

I will also add ... thing of the cost as well
    think 4 yards to make a UQ... about Dbl that to make a pad so he made a $50 pad that packs down no smaller then a $6 wallyworld pad and weights more
    Not putting Tinny down, but: wouldn't the $6 WM pad also be much warmer than 50F? Now if he comes up with a 2 or 3 layer IX pad which is warm into the 30s or 40s( like an IX UQ ), then he may be onto something. Though more expensive, maybe more flexible and more comfy than CCF. But 6 layers for ~50F? Maybe not so much, considering the weight, bulk and $. I'm surprised this has not quickly occurred to him. That 6 layers of IX should make an awfully warm UQ if designed right, don't you think? TeeDee and TiredFeet have got 11F out of their 3 layers of IX UQ(plus nylon shells and all layers dif cut).

But maybe he will come up with something brilliant and new while playing around with the IX.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

Think, it's what's for dinner

I've been hammocking for the past 2 years, I've never used an underquilt, and up to the point where I watched Tinny's post I thought I was doing it wrong. I just don't have the extra funds for one, nor the skills or equipment to create one on my own. I have the BA air core pad in a 15* BA bag, and I bring along a 40* LaFuma down bag (which I've had for years) as added top insulation (just in case). Granted, I don't go out in sub-zero temps, but I've gone down below freezing and been fine (ok, maybe some cold feet, but thanks to the forums I have a lot of remedies for that).

My point being that, aside from any personal disagreement with his attitude, it made me re-think my "need" for a UQ. If it's working for me so far, why do I need to change it? I like reading the posts and watching the vids because they spark my interests, and make me think about stuff from other people's perspectives; it's one of the reasons I recently joined the forums.

I will look forward to reading / watching many more, even those I might disagree with . And I encourage everyone to think, as Tinny suggests in his video.

-Sap
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Underquilts are relatively new. I don't think I read about them in Speer's book. There it was all about the pad and a Walmart pad is all I've used so far. However the pad is bulky, though it rolls and ties on easy enough, and it isn't nearly as comfortable as the hammock is without it. Down Underquilts are as comfortable as the hammock normally is, warmer then the pad, less condensation then a pad AND pack down to next to nothing. If those factors are important enough for you then the cost is worth it.

Then again, what's an underquilt worth, a dollar a day for a year? Put 10 bucks a paycheck away and you'll have one paid for before a year gos by. You'll have one by next fall and extend next years hanging.

Next, you'll want to buy a down overquilt. Same thing as using a standard sleeping bag BUT because it's down, it packs down to nothing, weighs less decreasing your pack load again.

But the quilts are recent and people have used pads for years and will continue to use them as they are cheap. Nothing has made walking more expensive as light weight backpacking. Probably a bunch less then all those un-used, rear end excercising tennis shoes that are hanging out in stylish peoples closets right now.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Not putting Tinny down, but: wouldn't the $6 WM pad also be much warmer than 50F? Now if he comes up with a 2 or 3 layer IX pad which is warm into the 30s or 40s( like an IX UQ ), then he may be onto something. Though more expensive, maybe more flexible and more comfy than CCF. But 6 layers for ~50F? Maybe not so much, considering the weight, bulk and $. I'm surprised this has not quickly occurred to him. That 6 layers of IX should make an awfully warm UQ if designed right, don't you think? TeeDee and TiredFeet have got 11F out of their 3 layers of IX UQ(plus nylon shells and all layers dif cut).

But maybe he will come up with something brilliant and new while playing around with the IX.
    We have folks here looking at 1/8 in pads for winter below zero. I have slept on walmart CCF pads down to freezing. We use the same material for sit pads when cross country skiing. I think it will work as well as the IX, cost less and be more durable. YMMV.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Nothing negative tward Tinny but let him learn on his own. He'll find out the hard way that we do the things we do because of trial and error.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Veto 65 View Post
    Nothing negative tward Tinny but let him learn on his own. He'll find out the hard way that we do the things we do because of trial and error.
    At home we call this "the law of natural consequences"... nothing teaches like experience.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    "Good judgement comes from Experience.
    Experience? well, that comes from Bad Judgement.."

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    "Down south, we aint always right..... but we aint never wrong..."
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have never used Insultex.

But I have used 1/8" minicel in my WBBB 1.7 dbl in the summer when temps dropped into the low 60s and it felt fine. A 48" long pad rolls up into the size of a pint bottle, and works as a sit pad.

But when the temps drop, I do not believe that ANYTHING feels as toasty and enveloping as a down UQ. I loves being wrapped in goosey goodness! Maybe Tinney will get to try a good UQ and be converted......

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast