Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    OP, sorry to hijack your thread!!!!! It was not my intention!!
    So, back to our regularly scheduled programming!!!!

Hammock
    HH Expedition ASym
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ w/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If I had a guess, the angst is coming from

1) being broke
    2) spending money on an IX UQ
    3) having someone then say they froze their *** off with an IX UQ

Everything from there on out was just snowballing stress over whether the money was wasted, thoughts like "why wasn't this *** freezing noticed and reported in earlier tests?!", "who are these yahoo's anyway?" etc etc. You can see how it builds from there. But at any rate, the bottom line is I think IX will work fine in most situations if used properly.

If it proves unsuitable for you, I'm sure someone on here would buy it from you.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 05-18-2010 at 08:31. Reason: profanity

gakayaker,
    The best thing I could say to do is try and contact one or more of the Cottage maker's on here and see what you two come up with! They all make super gear and not sure how much time you have, but you could alway's get something and test it and if it doesn't meet your need's/standard's, if you need more down in it per say contact the maker and see if you can have some added in!? If not you can alway's sell here on the forum, and most likely it will sell!!
    Just a thought, let us know if you have any other question's and what you decide on!!!
    Remember we want "PIC'S"!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The Yeti doesn't have adjustable ends, but you can slide it down lower to create an air gap.
    Hum interesting I never knew this about the yeti....So jeff...Their is just one continious loop of shock cord that runs through the suspension system which is not adjustable. SO the yeti always has the same sag when hanging from the hammock? This made me go HUM....

And OP I know you were inqueireing about an UQ but have you considered a 1/4 ccf pad of some sorts? Much cheaper then an UQ. Just for some reference I used Stormcrows winter UQ a few weekends ago and when it hit 35 I stated to get uncomfortabley warm even when drafting it to let some air in. But also consider if you do use your winter YETI then depending on how you sleep you may only need a very light fleece blanket on top. And lastly take Cranky Bears advice and contact a vendor. They are all very willing and happy to share their information and help guide you in purcahsing a product. Good luck and please share your results.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    gakayaker,
    The best thing I could say to do is try and contact one or more of the Cottage maker's on here and see what you two come up with! They all make super gear and not sure how much time you have, but you could alway's get something and test it and if it doesn't meet your need's/standard's, if you need more down in it per say contact the maker and see if you can have some added in!? If not you can alway's sell here on the forum, and most likely it will sell!!
    Just a thought, let us know if you have any other question's and what you decide on!!!
    Remember we want "PIC'S"!!!!

FYI gakayaker (if this help at all): When I was talking to storm crow (Adam) about building me a summer TQ/UQ, I had mentioned that I was looking to go light as possible in 40 degrees and up with out freezing. He did offer that after he made the quilts if I found they did not have enough down or to much down in them that he would either add or take out down. And depending on your skills this is something you may be able to do pretty easily because its really just a question of opening the seams takeing down out or adding some in and re-sewing it.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Hum interesting I never knew this about the yeti....So jeff...Their is just one continious loop of shock cord that runs through the suspension system which is not adjustable. SO the yeti always has the same sag when hanging from the hammock? This made me go HUM....
    well, sorta...
    the Yeti utilized draft stop tubes on the ends (think like a draft stopper over a zipper in a sleeping bag)
    this tube of down, flexes and moves to seal the ends of the UQ to the hammock.
    It is very effective
    the single loop of shockcord only runs along the sides of the UQ and the elasticity of the shcokcord automatically keeps the UQ tight under a wide range of loads (read weights of different people!)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    OP, sorry to hijack your thread!!!!! It was not my intention!!
    So, back to our regularly scheduled programming!!!!
    Opps, some how I missed the whole 3rd page before I made my last post
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    I am going to try to find out a little more on the temperatures I will be facing. Most information on a thru hike is nobo and I am having a hard time finding out how temps will be going sobo. I posted on white blaze but got completely mixed answers. Some people say they start with a 3 season bag and somewhere (I have yet to find out where) switch to a winter bag (about a 10 degree). Others say you would be crazy to go less than a 30 degree bag for the whole trip, so I figure I need to be prepared for anything from 10-40+. I wish I could find some more definite data though. Think I am going to study some weather patterns to get a little better info on temperature range.
    "Lets Start Today"

You could always look into a 20* set-up, and during the colder times supplement with clothing?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast