Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

poison ivy sucks

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Alas I was not so careful this weekend. I have two small spots now, the primary pickup on my ankle and a clear "scratch" carry on my arm.

Grizz
    My son and I also got it on the Shawnee State forest hike. Of course that is no surprise since we were both wearing shorts. On day two of the hike I was also wading through many trails crowed with green plants that were suspicious. My right leg has it pretty good so I will be heading off to the drugstore to get stuff. I am not in misery yet but nightmares of my youth are making me nervous enough to make it go away as soon as possible. Ohio is very hot and humid right now and that is not good weather to have the itches!

Another vote here for Technu. That stuff rocks. I have also used a product called "Ivy Block" that is supposed to neutralize the ivy oil and is applied when there is a possibility of contact.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My wife got a very nasty case last summer. The docs told us it was not the oil, perse, that casued the inflamation but the histamine response of the body TO the oil. Therefore anything that would reduce the potency of the oil and so reduce the histamine response would effectively cut the risk of outbreak. Once the rash develops however, treating the oil is not very helpful except to prevent spreading. At that point, an antihistamine compound might be the most effective. That's the way they treated her. She was miserable for a few days but recovered. I don't think she had much luck with the technu but she did not use it until after the rash had been well established.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    According to my old scoutmaster, there are all sorts of things that determine how a person will react. She was telling me that some people get it from touching the vines in the winter, some from the leaves only, and that individuals are sensitive to different amounts.

I don't have the pictures to post up just yet, but the PI looked like a carpet when we went in the ozarks. It had to be all over our packs and clothing, I know it was on our straps. The only place I ended up getting it was on my legs, and I was sleeping with my pants off and my legs thrown over my pack in the BB. I guess that means I'm not terribly sensitive, but it's probably all over the inside of my hammock now.

The places I broke out the worst were right where my shoes were rubbing my ankles. That spot broke out a couple of hours after we started hiking, but I didn't break out on my legs until about 2 weeks (!) afterward when I was at home. The knowledgeable old scoutmaster told me that's common too... some folks break out right away, and some take weeks to get the rash.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Prednisone, folks. Dries it right up.

My doc wrote me a script so I'd have it, "just in case."
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Prednisone, folks. Dries it right up.

My doc wrote me a script so I'd have it, "just in case."
    Prednisone isn't something that most docs are going to script on a whim. Topical hydrocortizone is a better idea anyway due to the side effects of systemic steroids, plus you can buy it at the pharmacy without a prescription.

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby

This has helped

I also, never had a problem with PI, until I was well into my 30's. I could rip it right from its roots, leaves and all with no ill effects.

Now, if I do get PI, I will breakout with minor welts, but the itching is there and annoying.

This year, I came across this, and it has helped tremendously.

SW
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Prednisone isn't something that most docs are going to script on a whim. Topical hydrocortizone is a better idea anyway due to the side effects of systemic steroids, plus you can buy it at the pharmacy without a prescription.
    I've used Prednisone perhaps a half dozen times over the past 40 years. In each instance, it was prescribed by either a flight surgeon or civilian physician specifically for contact dermatitis resulting from exposure to poison ivy. It was always effective, clearing the rash in 3-5 days. I suffered no side-effects.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I've used Prednisone perhaps a half dozen times over the past 40 years. In each instance, it was prescribed by either a flight surgeon or civilian physician specifically for contact dermatitis resulting from exposure to poison ivy. It was always effective, clearing the rash in 3-5 days. I suffered no side-effects.
    I apologize if I stepped on your toes and defer to your experience.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat D-lux
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    Images
    I just meet my doc in his hall and he looks smiles and hands me a script for the Prednisone. I'm better the next day, without it I'm a mess in about two days. The odd thing was I didn't become sensitive until I was 40. Prior to that I could pull and burn it sit in it whatever. I also have tried the washes and the creams Ivydry works best OTC.

Last year I did some testing and from the pics you can see I was willing to sacrifice my body for the betterment of my fellow hangers. The black on the leaf is fresh, oily urushiol which causes the histamine reaction. Rule of thumb is that you have 10 minutes to get it off.

Caveat: Things work differently for different people.

Hand sanitizer worked to break down the oil on exposed skin within the 10 min window (I think I waited like 3).

Rubbing Alcohol worked within the 10 minute window and also worked on equipment after exposure. I have a spray bottle that I use to coat areas that may have had contact (boots, the parts of packs that touch the ground and tree huggers. I used the alcohol all last year and never got any rashes from my gear, and that was after dragging it through thickets of ivy on the OHT and OT and wrapping my huggers around those nasty, furry vines.

Then AFTER the test breakouts (the pics I had don't do justice so I didn't post them) I tried a homeopathic jewelweed based salve that did as well as Calagel and one commercial product whose name escapes me. Calagel is my goto after I have a rash + a little Benedryl.

I've heard good things about the Tecnu stuff but haven't tried it.

The more you know.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast