night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    The stretch of para cord is part of the strength. If it was solid line and it did not stretch under a sudden load it would snap and we would be raining men all over the drop zone. There is a lot of nock off para cord that ain't fit to lace your boots with. I trust good old five fifty cord to hold me to my canopeee. And I trust amsteel to hold my two hundred and too many pounds off the ground in my night owl. If it can pull a jeep out of the vacum mud its good for me.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Hi & welcome. My 2 cents worth, for a prusik or klemheist I think it would be fine. For longer uses like ridge lines I've found that nylon stretches to much, especially if it gets wet. :beer:

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I think everyone covered the issues associated with using paracord pretty well.

However, it's worth noting that paracord is not bad stuff; actually, it works very well in its intended use. Since it stretches quite a bit, it absorbs the shock of going from freefall to chute deployed, keeping the person hanging from it from having a rough time with his or her harness.

Thing is, that stretch that's desirable for a skydiver? Not so much in our particular use: you don't want to wake up on the ground overnight when your suspension stretches under load.

And that's not even considering the weight limit and dynamic forces, which others have covered very well.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I think everyone covered the issues associated with using paracord pretty well.

However, it's worth noting that paracord is not bad stuff; actually, it works very well in its intended use. Since it stretches quite a bit, it absorbs the shock of going from freefall to chute deployed, keeping the person hanging from it from having a rough time with his or her harness.

Thing is, that stretch that's desirable for a skydiver? Not so much in our particular use: you don't want to wake up on the ground overnight when your suspension stretches under load.

And that's not even considering the weight limit and dynamic forces, which others have covered very well.
    2nd that. 550 cord also makes a great cat o nine tails

Images
    also keep in mind that a person hanging from a parachute is held up by many different strands of paracord working together, they're not trusting a single strand of it to do that.

Thanks for the replies, I use some cheap 1\2 in poly rope from home depot as my main line with a paracord loop wrapped around it with a double prusik.

I was expecting to end up on the ground so I hung it low but to my suprise it didn't budge an inch when I sat down ,thats why I was questioning the use of other ropes.

Not to hijack my own thread but how well would amsteel work with the prusik setup ? I am sure I can make a whoopie sling no problem but I have read that they slip and like I said my prusik didn't slide down at all.

Maybe used 1\8 in main line and smaller 7\64 prusik loop so it has more "bite" on the main line?
    Last edited by CheeZe; 01-24-2013 at 17:51.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I think you have been misinformed. There is little chance of a properly constructed and used whoopie slipping. They would not be so popular if there was a problem.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeZe View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I use some cheap 1\2 in poly rope from home depot as my main line with a paracord loop wrapped around it with a double prusik.

I was expecting to end up on the ground so I hung it low but to my suprise it didn't budge an inch when I sat down ,thats why I was questioning the use of other ropes.

Not to hijack my own thread but how well would amsteel work with the prusik setup ? I am sure I can make a whoopie sling no problem but I have read that they slip and like I said my prusik didn't slide down at all.

Maybe used 1\8 in main line and smaller 7\64 prusik loop so it has more "bite" on the main line?

Never seen one slip... I have seen tree straps stretch... But never seen a whoopie budge... I'm told it MAY if you forget to tighten up the bury after adjusting it... But I slept 7-8 nights before anyone told me to do that and I never had a problem...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeZe View Post

Regarding Prusik vs. whoopie, the Prusik won't hold quite as well with Amsteel. Amsteel is pretty slick stuff (same material as most arborist throw lines, where low friction is a plus), so the lower surface area of a Prusik doesn't do as well as a properly constructed constrictor knot (whoopies, UCRs, etc.).

I've been using whoopies for the last ~10 nights I've spent in an hammock, and have yet to have them slip. But...I also make sure that I milk the bury (pull on it like I'm tightening a Chinese finger trap) before lying in the hammock.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    ... I'm told it MAY if you forget to tighten up the bury after adjusting it... But I slept 7-8 nights before anyone told me to do that and I never had a problem...
    I have to admit the same. I have forgotten to "milk" the bury (before I got into the habit), and had no noticeable slippage.

I also agree with those mentioning that lines designed to absorb shock are very different from those designed not to stretch. Two different applications, two different safety features.

There's a reason mountain climbing rope stretches and caving rope does not. You don't want to use one for the other (wrong) purpose. It could kill you.

When human life and limb are at risk, it's wise to know a bit about ropes and to use them properly. Lots of good information about just that here in HammockForums!

Rain Man
    ex-caver

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast