Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    phoenix 20F
    Suspension
    webbing&dutchware

Thumbs up Review:generic Y-beam stakes

Hey all,

Got some some stakes in the mail today, I ordered them off Ebay from China $7 including postage for 10.

They are 7 inches and described as a aluminum alloy. They are gold colour which I don't mind as they will stand out and I will be less likely to leave them in the ground

They seem pretty much the same as the MSR groundhogs but the groundhogs are at least $2.50 each for me to purchase locally.

The stakes do not have a rope tie attached to them.
    I am going on a family car camping trip in two days and will be sleeping hammock style and will let you know how they performed

cheers,
    Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Nice score dude.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Look nice enough... Most likely problem with them that I see is they will likely be soft... Cutting corners in aluminum heat treating is about the only place to save money...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Seems like a nice find.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    They look to comparable to the Coughlin's stakes found at WalMart for roughly the same price. I've had one bend on me, but IIRC that was b/c I kicked it to get it out of the ground. At less than half oz and a dollar each, I can live with that.

That being said, I found some on Ebay that come in a package of 10 with glow in the dark loops and a carry bag for around $10.00 shipped.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl,DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    phoenix 20F
    Suspension
    webbing&amp;dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Look nice enough... Most likely problem with them that I see is they will likely be soft... Cutting corners in aluminum heat treating is about the only place to save money...
    Yea Brute1100 I know absolutely nothing about metals and their properties so this review may end up being a cautionary warning for people on what not to buy

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    They look to comparable to the Coughlin's stakes found at WalMart for roughly the same price. I've had one bend on me, but IIRC that was b/c I kicked it to get it out of the ground. At less than half oz and a dollar each, I can live with that.

That being said, I found some on Ebay that come in a package of 10 with glow in the dark loops and a carry bag for around $10.00 shipped.
    Sargevining that looks like great deal. Ebay can be draining on the finances.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies &amp; straps
    I like the MSR Groundhogs...and the Mini Groundhogs...but for just a little bit more you can get similar stakes from the HammockForums store. The sell for $2.49 a pair...so 10 would be $12.50 or so. I just ordered 6 and don't mind paying a bit extra if it will help keep this hammockforums website running that much longer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I have several of the Coghlans variety. I think they were around $4/4pk. They work great in the FL sandy soil but I did finally bend one a bit trying to cram it into the ground with my boot sole. Luckily, I just bent it back into shape and it's basically good as new.

I tried the Chinese even cheaper e-bay version in a bright blue. Believe it or not that color is very hard to lose in the forest duff. The gold color disappears into the leaves almost instantly. Better put a piece of brightly colored string on there (reflective is better) or the stakes might vanish on you.

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    I bought some stakes the other day from Backwoods Daydreamer for $1.15 each. The package will arrive today or tomorrow. Heck of a lot cheaper than paying $3 each for MSR. (I'm including local sales tax and rounding. lol)

Hammock
    Clark NX 250 or NA
    Tarp
    WB MambaJamba
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutched-out w/WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    I like the MSR Groundhogs...and the Mini Groundhogs...but for just a little bit more you can get similar stakes from the HammockForums store. The sell for $2.49 a pair...so 10 would be $12.50 or so. I just ordered 6 and don't mind paying a bit extra if it will help keep this hammockforums website running that much longer.
    Agreed! Seriously, eBay or Wal-Mart, your money goes to China either way.
    "I stayed up all night wondering where the sun went ... then it dawned on me!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast