Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Playing with a GrizzBridge

OK, I am finally in possession of one of these babies and just starting to play. I already have some very positive impressions ( one very positive in particular) and a possible negative or two compared to the BMBH. ( as usual, I quickly became aware of a couple of relative pros AND cons). But before I even get into any of that- plus I hope to go to the woods this afternoon rather than making judgments with my flexy Vario stand- I have a quick question for Grizz anyone else who has used one of these nifty hammocks:
    How far between the rings for optimal function?

So far, I have just adjusted for the "reverse banana". When I set my JRB BMBH according to JRB directions(either using a RL set for 9'6" between the rings, or setting it until the netting is tight and then backing off a bit), I usually can see that the center of the hammock is higher than the ends. There is a slight curve in the hammock when viewed from the side, in a reverse direction than the way a non-bridge hammocks curves.

So I have just adjusted the Grizz for that same curve, then maybe a little tighter to allow for Vario stand flex. And that feels about right, but maybe it will feel dif if set at some exact tension?

Or maybe I should just tie it to the trees with the old faithful 30* angle and let at go at that?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    the infamous grizz bridge. would love to try one out. and a bmbh. ill be following this thread

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, I am finally in possession of one of these babies and just starting to play. I already have some very positive impressions ( one very positive in particular) and a possible negative or two compared to the BMBH. ( as usual, I quickly became aware of a couple of relative pros AND cons). But before I even get into any of that- plus I hope to go to the woods this afternoon rather than making judgments with my flexy Vario stand- I have a quick question for Grizz anyone else who has used one of these nifty hammocks:
    How far between the rings for optimal function?

So far, I have just adjusted for the "reverse banana". When I set my JRB BMBH according to JRB directions(either using a RL set for 9'6" between the rings, or setting it until the netting is tight and then backing off a bit), I usually can see that the center of the hammock is higher than the ends. There is a slight curve in the hammock when viewed from the side, in a reverse direction than the way a non-bridge hammocks curves.

So I have just adjusted the Grizz for that same curve, then maybe a little tighter to allow for Vario stand flex. And that feels about right, but maybe it will feel dif if set at some exact tension?

Or maybe I should just tie it to the trees with the old faithful 30* angle and let at go at that?

NOTE to ALL...

BB58's bridge is the original omni tape bug net version and 9-6 between the rings is correct.....ALL THE ZIPPERED BMBH should be 9-3 between the primary rings... Stinging too tight will overly stress the bugnet, resulting in "user error" bug net ripping.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    NOTE to ALL...

BB58's bridge is the original omni tape bug net version and 9-6 between the rings is correct.....ALL THE ZIPPERED BMBH should be 9-3 between the primary rings... Stinging too tight will overly stress the bugnet, resulting in "user error" bug net ripping.

Pan
    Thank's Pan. So 3" shorter on the ring distance, and roughly 50 lbs more capacity with the new spreader bars, and of course now a zippered bug net. Are there any other dif- dimensions or whatever- between my old one(original BMBH version) and the newest version? ( I hope not, as I am obviously looking for an excuse to sell mine and buy the new version!)

Thank's Pan. So 3" shorter on the ring distance, and roughly 50 lbs more capacity with the new spreader bars, and of course now a zippered bug net. Are there any other dif- dimensions or whatever- between my old one(original BMBH version) and the newest version? ( I hope not, as I am obviously looking for an excuse to sell mine and buy the new version!)
    BillyBob, we will have the new version of the JRB bridge hammock at the Meriwether Lewis hang in 2 weeks for you to check out
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    BillyBob, we will have the new version of the JRB bridge hammock at the Meriwether Lewis hang in 2 weeks for you to check out
    Well maybe I can get up there, I'd love to check it out, also love to see every one, but not looking promising at the moment. Have you both used it? How does it feel in the shoulders for y'all?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The 2010 zippered BMBH has dual end pockets for personal items and the zipper simply follows the hammock top edge.

The 2011 zippered BMBH has had the front two corners softened for easier zipper glide. While I can close the zipper while in the hammock, as per the instruction card. it is preferred to pre pull the zipper passed the front corners by 6 inches or so, get in careful not to sit on the bugnet, then finish the zipping. A nice improvement.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The 2010 zippered BMBH has dual end pockets for personal items and the zipper simply follows the hammock top edge.

The 2011 zippered BMBH has had the front two corners softened for easier zipper glide. While I can close the zipper while in the hammock, as per the instruction card. it is preferred to pre pull the zipper passed the front corners by 6 inches or so, get in careful not to sit on the bugnet, then finish the zipping. A nice improvement.

Pan
    Thanks Pan. Edit to my above post: "and roughly 50 lbs more capacity with the new spreader bars" should be "~ 27 lbs more". I was just at your web site and saw a 250 lb limit. For some reason I had a 275 lb. figure in my head, don't know where I got that. I think mine was maybe ~223 lb.

Images
    Don't forget your camera BB when you take your new hammock out for that first test hang in the woods. Would love to see it in action.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Don't forget your camera BB when you take your new hammock out for that first test hang in the woods. Would love to see it in action.
    Will do- hope I won't forget!

Still have not made it to the woods still testing from the hammock stand, which is not quite a fair test. Also, still just guessing at how much tension. Can't really go even for 30* because of mucho hammock stand flex.

Here are some 1st impressions that I can give: LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT! This thing weighs less than a lb, plus the bars are ~7 oz(JRB ~ 6 oz). It is more than a lb lighter than my JRB, so it is a gram weenie delight! And much less volume. Of course, it has no double layer or net.

The material, the Amsteel suspension, or both make this very non-stretchy. It feels more like my Claytor No Net as for ability to keep it off the ground when using the flexing stand. In fact, with the stand as low as I can go on one end and just high enough on the other to keep the head higher than the foot, I end up a good bit higher off the ground than I would like. I don't like to be but a few inches above that steel center bar and the pad I put under me.

The hammock and bars are a good bit wider in the shoulders and a good bit narrower in the foot. Pros and cons: Much more shoulder room(nice!), a lot less knee/foot room. Will need to pay even more attention to the tarp/spreader bar conflict on the head end, but less attention to the tarp on the foot end. Though I DO NOT find the shoulders actually uncomfortable in the JRB- just different, but comfortable- I do find the Grizz shoulders quite noticeably roomier. I like that and would be willing to put up with the tarp/bar issues to gain that benefit.

However, there is noticeably LESS room from the waist down, which is really mainly noticeable on my side. Because, I can achieve a partial, moderate fetal in the JRB- and even more if using a wide pad. But I can achieve almost no fetal in the GrizzBridge(GB). I can see why GrizzlyAdams has said he does not really use his own bridge design because he really likes fetal. There will be no fetal in this model. There is not a lot in the JRB, but definitely more than with the GB. At least that is my 1st impressions.

It is much more shallow than the JRB. Con: Feels like it might be easier to roll out of, and there is more back support in the JRB for certain side positions(leaning back against the stiff sides) and using as a chair. However, the view is much more wide open in the Griz, a pro/plus!

No double layer saves weight and volume, and we mostly use quilts anyway. But if you ever do need a pad, the JRB is a wonderful hammock to use one with, best in the world IMO. Plus, a wide pad in the JRB increases shoulder and knee room. Pick your poison!

CAUTION: strictly a preliminary impression that I may have to change once I hang from non-flexing trees and also figure out exactly how I am supposed to be hanging tension wise: I think the JRB might be a smidgeon flatter. I went back and forth on the stand between the two and got this impression. It may be invalid once I hit the trees, so caution on this. And don't get me wrong, it is still very flat as only a bridge style can be. I am talking subtle differences between 2 bridge hammocks. Still, when on my back- using several different suspension tensions- there is absolutely no calf pressure or knee hyper-extension, just like with(and only with) the JRB. But when on my side, there is just a hint of side "torque", barely noticeable only by comparing to the JRB. Not enough to call uncomfortable or keep me from sleeping, but enough to say "a tiny bit more" than the JRB.

Oddly, I don't really need a pillow. One of the secrets of getting the most out of a JRB is to have a good pillow.

So, there are the 1st impression based pros and cons of my overall most comfortable hammock (JRB Bridge) compared to another outstanding bridge. Within the testing limitations of my hammock stand. The biggest benefit is in the shoulders, and I would prefer this design even though it will make tarp use even more challenging. 2nd big plus is weight and volume, but giving up the possible benefits of the JRB pad pocket/dbl layer must be considered, plus no net. And so far I find the JRB the winner by a very slight margin for waist and leg comfort when side sleeping. So, choose your pros and cons. Plus we will see what changes when I finally get to the woods.

Oh, you can actually buy the JRB!

PS: in case you missed it, this thing is SWEET!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast