Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    From my original post on this. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=12319

It doesn't totally agree with opie's testing but the bottom line is changing from locked brummel to standard buried eye splice doesn't change anything in a whoopie sling because it's not the normal point of failure.

I wrote to Samson Ropes about Amsteel whoopie slings asking where they would fail. Here is their response.

Using Amsteel Blue whoopie slings for suspending hammocks is a very interesting application. Thanks for the link to the thread on the hammock forum, it's a good discussion.

Recently the reduction to 60% of average break strength for Amsteel Blue whoopie slings was suspected to be a low value. Testing showed that it is actually around 80% depending on the size of the rope. On every test done the break location was at the point of the adjustable whoopie tail exit.

Samson: The Strongest Name in Rope

www.samsonrope.com

Just a reminder, a locked brummell is put in to reduce the likelyhood of the splice slipping in a no or low load condition. It is not as strong as a properly done straight bury splice, although the name and appearance indicate otherwise. A properly done straight bury can be (in many tests) a couple percent stronger than the line itself, depending on the type of line. The failure location is almost always where the splice ends and a poor taper guarantees this spot, which Samson agrees with.

All this to say, I primarily use locked brummels on my boats and camping gear and this is a great application. Many people are using smaller and smaller line and many are splicing novices, which is great. It's a good skill to have. This is just a friendly reminder to pay attention to your application and use proper techniques for the specific line you are working with.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Is it ok to never have ran you rline through itself over and over as in the pic above, i just made my loop, and sewed the bury, i didnt make those passes as seen in your pictoral in picture 2. Slept in my hammock for weeks, nothing happened. chime in opie, need a pro opinion!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    From my original post on this. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=12319

It doesn't totally agree with opie's testing but the bottom line is changing from locked brummel to standard buried eye splice doesn't change anything in a whoopie sling because it's not the normal point of failure.

I wrote to Samson Ropes about Amsteel whoopie slings asking where they would fail. Here is their response.

Using Amsteel Blue whoopie slings for suspending hammocks is a very interesting application. Thanks for the link to the thread on the hammock forum, it's a good discussion.

Recently the reduction to 60% of average break strength for Amsteel Blue whoopie slings was suspected to be a low value. Testing showed that it is actually around 80% depending on the size of the rope. On every test done the break location was at the point of the adjustable whoopie tail exit.

In collusion, the locking brummel has less impact on break strength reduction than the "sudden transition in size where the adjustable section exits the bury". If a traditional buried eye replaced the brummel, the same strength reduction would be expected because the adjustable bury exit is the weakest link.

Best regards,

Mark Pederson
    R&D Engineer

Samson: The Strongest Name in Rope

www.samsonrope.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Is it ok to never have ran you rline through itself over and over as in the pic above, i just made my loop, and sewed the bury, i didnt make those passes as seen in your pictoral in picture 2. Slept in my hammock for weeks, nothing happened. chime in opie, need a pro opinion!
    You are correct.

I do it so that it gives me a "backer" to pull the tails tight against prior to burying.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Sounds like a standard eye splice which is the strongest way of making an eye.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    One thing nobody mentions here: We typically talk about the breaking strength of these lines, not the "Safe working load." There are a lot of factors that can derate a line over time: Abrasion, UV exposure, overloading, etc.

Manufacturers publish working load values for safety (and liability) reasons. If we're seeing whoopie sling failures, were these New or old/worn slings?

Makes me want to hang over a soft spot...

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images

sewing a bury

what are you guys using to sew your bury. I used the inerds of some parachord on my first set then wrapped over the sewn area with a long piece of the same just because i wanted to dress it up. I started at the base of my loop and ran about four stitches a quarter inch apart and turned the sling 90 degrees and returned to the base of the loop. Does anyone have a suggesstion on a technique for finishing up the stitch?
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

HamMike -- heres something from New England ropes -- http://www.neropes.com/SPL_KernHiVee.aspx

It explaines how to stitch the thoat of the spice. Hope this helps.

Ok--I started this and have to ask--Has anyone had a failure of either type of splice? Besides destructive testing, I mean. This is all getting a bit confusing again.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantDave View Post
    Ok--I started this and have to ask--Has anyone had a failure of either type of splice? Besides destructive testing, I mean. This is all getting a bit confusing again.
    Not that Im aware of.

And Im sure we'd hear about it if there was.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast