Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AT Section Hike- 4/25-4/29

Well my leave date for my trip is coming up fast, only two days away! A co-worker and myself are going out for a AT Section hike for 5 days, we are starting at Front Royal VA and ending at Harpers Ferry, we are going to take our time and try to enjoy the hike, as long as the rain holds out, I have been watching the weather in hopes that it will change, supposed to rain everyday we are out there! I'm hoping that the weather will change so I can get a lot of pic's), I have a cheap camera that is not waterproof/water resist. but it works for me!! I have my pack set-up and weight is 29lbs with 5 days of food and a liter of water (I only carry a liter at a time), which is roughly 10lbs lighter from my last section hike, so a big "THANK YOU" to everyone on HF, from looking at your gear lists, set-up's, and the great gear that I have acquired from the members here have made my new pack weight possible, as well as realizing what I need vs. want. I am hoping that in the future I will/can be able to pare it down even more, but we shall see?! When I get back I will post my gear list, any/all pic's taken, and trip report. I have talked to Adia and when I get back we will get me set-up on youtube and we (well really she) will get a compilation vid put up from this trip as well as my previous trip (MD/WVA section)!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Happy Trails to You and enjoy the hike. Hoping to be in that section to finish VA sometime in June and early July. Awaiting your report when done.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Have a good hike.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have a great time! 29 lbs w/ 5 days of supplies is really good...not sure there's a reason to go lower than than unless it hurts your knees and back. Having a few luxuries is a good thing, IMO. But the quest for tweaking never ends...I definitely understand!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is to wonderful trip for ya'll in the piney woods.
    Watch out for that camera ..... put it in a baggie (tear a small hole for the lens)if you shoot in the rain .... I killed one of my non-waterproof cameras in the Linville Gorge.......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Have a great time! 29 lbs w/ 5 days of supplies is really good...not sure there's a reason to go lower than than unless it hurts your knees and back. Having a few luxuries is a good thing, IMO. But the quest for tweaking never ends...I definitely understand!
    Thanks, yea it is the never ending quest to go lighter! The current pack weight is great, no complaints, especially from what it was on my last hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is to wonderful trip for ya'll in the piney woods.
    Watch out for that camera ..... put it in a baggie (tear a small hole for the lens)if you shoot in the rain .... I killed one of my non-waterproof cameras in the Linville Gorge.......
    Shug
    Thanks Shug!!! I was searching for a camera for a while, one that was waterproof/water resist. but also took AA/AAA lithium batts, I was unable to find one so I got a cheapie kodak from walmart, it works and does all that I need out of a camera, I just have to be extra carefull with it. I got a small alocsack that it fits in pretty good, haven't tried taking a pic through it yet, but it's either that or wait till I get to a shelter and take pics and or till I set-up my tarp!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Happy Trails to You and enjoy the hike. Hoping to be in that section to finish VA sometime in June and early July. Awaiting your report when done.
    Thanks Rockdawg69! I hope to have the youtube stuff done not too long after I get back, what I might do is just type the report on here then add that in when it's done!?

Insulation
    warm stuff
    it is going to be a very lonely week without you...i will miss you.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Insulation
    warm stuff
    so Cranky Bear left yesterday morning....
    Most of the day the weather wasn't bad, a little chilly and cloudy, but really didn't rain much.
    I haven't spoken to him yet, but we had THUNDERSTORM WARNINGS last night, side ways rain, insane winds, and so much lightning I had to hop off of the computer. There is all kinds of trouble around here with flooding now, and it is still raining.
    Hopefully he is staying dry and warm in all of this. I know he only took the Mac Cat tarp....i wish he would have taken the Hex tarp.
    Hope everyone else that is out hiking in this mess is safe.
    just wanted to post a quick update.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast