Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Albino Lash It

I had to get into my stash today and opened up this... The spool on the right is the normal gray. The spool on the left is, well.... I want to say its almost white, but not quite white. Not sure if the entire spool is like this....

The albino spool is the 2.2mm Lash It. What I use for Tarp Ridgelines.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    What's the difference between Lash-it and Zing-it ?

Aren't they the same stuff just different color ?

And what's the difference between those two and Amsteel-Blue?
    ( though I am still confused as to why they call it Amsteel-Blue , whether it is actually blue or some other color )

I think the sizes of Amsteel-blue usually chosen for hammock purposes is 7/64" = 2.77mm and and 1/8" = 3.175mm. ( if I did the math correctly )
    So I suppose either of those sizes are stronger than Lash-it or Zing-it.
    I don't recall if you only use the 2.2mm Lash-it or also the 1.75mm also.

So I guess either of those sizes would be stronger than the 2.2mm that the Lash-it or Zing-it comes in. Although the 2.2mm ought to have more than enough strength for ridge line.

Isn't all this line made of the so-called Dyneema material? Just different diameter and braid count ? Or am I still missing something about the characteristics of these lines?

I obtained a folding kayak several years ago which uses dyneema line in a sort of block and lever arrangement to get the frame inside the kayak skin. At the time I had never heard of dyneema line but they were promoting its use like it was something to impress me with. And I guess it is a remarkable material. That line is btw white.

Anyway, it looks like one can get their ridge line in any color you want as long as you want - yellow, red, gray and now white.

Thanks,

D

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Yes Lash It and Zing It are the same thing, just different color. Lash It gray, Zing It yellow.

I know the LI and ZI are Dyneema, but Im not sure if they are the same class of Dyneema as Amsteel or Amsteel Blue. My GUESS would be no, as the 2.2 LI or ZI don't have anywhere near the strength as 7/64 Amsteel blue, even though they aren't that far off from one another in size.

I use the 1.75 for Structural Ridgelines... Its plenty strong enough.

The LI, ZI and 7/64 Amsteel and Amsteel Blue are all 8 strand. 1/8 and up Amsteel and Amsteel Blue are 12 strand.

I believe the natural color of the line is gray. Although this spool I have appears to not have any dye in it.. So Im wondering if I got an undyed spool. And the natural color is closer to white. I dont use the 2.2 for ridgelines... I suppose I could, but the 2.2 LI is by far the more exspensive of the LI and ZI family.

Hammock
    S
    Tarp
    S
    Insulation
    Not Enough
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    "The proprietary urethane coating Samthane adds to the twine's wear life, ensures the knot-holding capability of the twine, and gives the twine its distinctive gray color for Lash-It and yellow for Zing-It."

Got this off the Redden Marine web site. Do you think you got an uncoated spool?
    Theres nothing like danglin in dixie!!!!

Murphy's Law: When one toilet breaks they all break.....its all a buncha crap.

Im an educated idiot. The more I learn the less I know.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Thanks for the info
    D

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pndwind View Post
    "The proprietary urethane coating Samthane adds to the twine's wear life, ensures the knot-holding capability of the twine, and gives the twine its distinctive gray color for Lash-It and yellow for Zing-It."

Got this off the Redden Marine web site. Do you think you got an uncoated spool?
    Good catch... Thats a possibility.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post

I know the LI and ZI are Dyneema, but Im not sure if they are the same class of Dyneema as Amsteel or Amsteel Blue. My GUESS would be no, as the 2.2 LI or ZI don't have anywhere near the strength as 7/64 Amsteel blue, even though they aren't that far off from one another in size.
    I think I posted this in the past, but am glad to do it again. Also, take this with a grain of salt, because it is from memory. Amsteel and Amsteel Blue are Samson's version of a dyneema thread. All of these dyneema and trade name "Spectra" are High Modulus Polyethlylene lines (HMPE or UHMPE - ultra high modulus .....) There are several versions of dyneema. SK60, SK 72?, SK 75, SK78.

All are VERY strong for their weight, have reasonable UV resistance in a marine environment, reasonable to good chafe resistance, with some heat resistance, low or no water absorption, and many other desriable properties EXCEPT... CREEP.

Creep is not stretch, it is the elongation over time when under sustained load. Stretch happens immediately upon loading and stops. Creep happens later and over time. One example is loading on the rigging of boat. Imagine you are adjusting the lines that hold the mast on a sailboat (or a cell tower if that makes more sense) upright. It's tight when you leave for the night. It's loose when you return in the morining. That's creep.

SK60 was a miracle fiber except for CREEP.
    SK72, then 75, then 78 all are attempts to reduce creep in the fiber.

"Plain" Amsteel is SK60 and I can't find it easily on the internet anymore. Amsteel Blue is SK75. The original "blue" did two things. First, it differentiated it from Amsteel, which was grey at the time. Also, the "blue" coating was a "Samthane" urethane coating to improve the abrasion resistance (and I think UV resistance) of the line. Amsteel Blue has become Samsons trade name for the SK75 line, regardless of color. See more color comments below.

Dyneema/Spectra was/is competeting with Vectran. Vectran exhibits no creep, has a much higher heat resistance, but is a little more vunerable to UV in a marine environment.

All this to say, I imagine the lash it and zing it are probably SK60 or possibly SK75, and it does not matter which for hammock purposes. Color no longer matters now because Samson has come out with many different Samthane coating colors.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks Narca....

• + New Posts