DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I believe there is a sticky of sir knotty's mod. Explains the whole thing pretty well.

If I was to make a footbox how would I go about it? I'm just a little scared of them, I haven't sewed much before =)

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
    I believe there is a sticky of sir knotty's mod. Explains the whole thing pretty well.
    Yep, that is the one I am thinking of. Knotty's description of the system is: "The stretch-side tensions the edges, keeps your gear in place and allows you to enter/exit from either side."

But the design wouldn't change the lay like a foot box would or the gathered side that is shown in the video mattmacman posted. That video gives an excellent demonstration of how the lay of the hammock is affected when he attaches his cord and adjusts it. A stretch side point basically only tightens up the hem and prevents that sag from letting things escape from the hammock bed. I'm going to assume that Warbonnet invented that whole concept and I see why the hammocks get the stellar reviews on comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmacman View Post
    If I was to make a footbox how would I go about it? I'm just a little scared of them, I haven't sewed much before =)
    Basically it is a triangle of material attached to the hem of a hammock. It was a mystery to me until I finally made one. If you check the video link mattmacman posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6mjv0wU9fM Go to about 5 minutes in the video.

It basically demonstrates the affect on the lay very well but this video they use cord instead of material to make the foot box effect. The benifit to the cord system is you can tune the footbox to your preference, the draw back is more lines (I prefer less as a general rule) and the "footbox" created with the cord doesn't have a way to help keep in your quilts and such unless you zip in the bugnet the guy presents.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 04-06-2012 at 14:49.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Correct me if im wrong but wouldn't a well fitted quilt not 'fall out'?

EDIT: Is the triangle of material attached to the top side of the hem, eg the hem is gathered closely then sewed to the triangle?

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmacman View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but wouldn't a well fitted quilt not 'fall out'?

EDIT: Is the triangle of material attached to the top side of the hem, eg the hem is gathered closely then sewed to the triangle?
    Probably not. But then why even do a Knotty buingie mod? That is the whole purpose of it.

Personally I would rather have a sewn footbox than a cord footbox because I like less lines on my hammock. Less stuff for tangles. Sure it is only one line, then add in a couple of suspension lines, a ridge line, a couple of lines for underquilt, etc, etc, etc. Any line I can make shorter or get rid of is a good thing for me. YMMV.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying with it being gathered before sewn. Look at a Warbonnet or any other hammock with a foot box. You hem the sides of the hammock, then you sew a triangle to hem of the side of the hammock you want to have the foot box on. The geometry of it makes the hem on that side shorter while changing the lay of the bottom of the hammock. I tried the same thing on the shoulder side of a hammock and it worked well for sleeping, I was also able to make the bed crazy short (less than 100") but it is uncomfortable to sit sideways in, and doing that stresses the hem on the side your legs dangle off to the point the fabric will eventually fail. Doing a cord gather you could release might be a solution for the shoulder side, but getting in and out after you draw up the side would probably still result in eventual failure, it just might take longer. Doing it with a bungie probably wouldn't result in the same change to the lay since the bungie wouldn't hold the structure correctly once under load.
    NO SNIVELING!

I'm not going to do knottys mod, I completely agree with your less is more mentality SGT Rock, I don't need to worry about a quilt falling out
    As for the footbox ill look into it.
    If someone could point me out to a visual representation that would be great, still having trouble imagining it.

On suspension could anyone point out a good DIY Whoopie vid? Some of them are wayyy too confusing!

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    My first DIY design had a foot box. The only manner in which lay is affected is that with a foot box you're more likely to get maximum angle to the midline. That will be flatter but you can get there without a foot box.

Hey mate, If I can replicate the lay of my WBBB ill be a happy camper, or my brother will be at least (its a present) =)
    In what other way would you say i could get there?

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Make the bottom bigger is one solution LOL.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    You need enough body fabric to get flat. A Blackbird is 120 in long. The ridge line is 101.

Im 6'2" My indoor sleeping hammock is 132. My ridge line is adjustable, seems to be most comfortable at 108-110. My head and feet are right up to the edge. Pretty flat.

Every once in a while my foot pops out over the edge and my quilt has dribbled out a couple times. A footbox doesn't actually change the shape of the bottom of the hammock but it does resolve those issues.

My camping hammock has an integrated bugnet ad that solves it too. Of course its not ultralight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast