DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Actually just got done with one of these today, following dejoha's instructions. Spent about ten minutes with it on the Hennessy after putting it together (too hot for any longer; it was 90 degrees out today), and I haven't had any issues with ridges under me.

I used mason's line for the fixed line running through the PLUQ and standard 1/8" flat elastic cord (not shock cord; the kind of elastic that gets put inside of cuffs to keep them taut) for the cinch ends and tie-out points.

The only thing I can think of to explain the ridge feeling you're having is tightening it too much. It's possible that it's something else, but that's all I can really think of. I've yet to try mine in cool weather, though, so it's possible that I'm hanging it too loose for heating purposes (sure didn't feel that way today, though).

Hopefully, things'll cool down here soon again so I can try an overnighter with it in the yard. I'll let you know as soon as I've done so...

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    That is where the triangle thingies may help. When you have a partial UQ, you are pulling over a longer distance and it gets messy. The triangle thingies are pulling from a point a foot or more closer to the center, and pulling in a more upward direction rather than a longer/lower direction from the ends of the hammock. You need a ridge line to use them too.

Other than that, yeah too tight. You might try a prussic hitch farther up the suspension for an anchor point. That should move the UQ suspension up and away from your neck/shoulders, but you still end up with the strings trying to move inward and across your head or feet.

I've wondered about adding light fabric to each end of a UQ to end up looking like a full cover and suspending it from the ends of the fabric. It could be a rectangle and gathered, or a truncated triangle (the top cut off). You might get a little more weather protection in the bargain and you could slip a pad in the foot end for your feet with a partial UQ.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    I've wondered about adding light fabric to each end of a UQ to end up looking like a full cover and suspending it from the ends of the fabric. It could be a rectangle and gathered, or a truncated triangle (the top cut off). You might get a little more weather protection in the bargain and you could slip a pad in the foot end for your feet with a partial UQ.
    This is what I'm experimenting with at this time Dale. I'm also reducing the size of the insulated portion to that diagonal area that is used in the hammock. The insulated area is a trapazoid 36" x54" with a second layer to hold an insert of additional insulation. I've gotten to where I don't do any shifting around while sleeping and the rectangular shape is just more bulk and weight. Still playing with it, will report later.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    This is what I'm experimenting with at this time Dale. I'm also reducing the size of the insulated portion to that diagonal area that is used in the hammock. The insulated area is a trapazoid 36" x54" with a second layer to hold an insert of additional insulation. I've gotten to where I don't do any shifting around while sleeping and the rectangular shape is just more bulk and weight. Still playing with it, will report later.
    Why a trapezoid rather than a parallelogram? I might be missing something here, but it would seem that a parallelogram would be able to be made smaller while still offering the same coverage. Maybe I'm envisioning this wrong...hrm...

Edit: Oh, right. For the difference in width between your shoulders and feet. Duh. I was thinking that the long and short sides of the trapezoid would be running lengthwise (diagonal) in the hammock rather than sideways (diagonal). Sorry. Sometimes I'm an idiot.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    You are correct, it is a parallelogram. Thanks FLR.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Well, okay...but I still think an irregular trapezoid might work even better. It would be able to minimize material at the hip area and lower...I think...

Need to get out the graph paper and sketch this...

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Stock
    Suspension
    Stock
    I too am having trouble with the big picture here. I put together a no-sew PLUQ and today I bike down to the park to try it out (only have 1 tree in my yard). I don't quite see how this thing attaches so that it wraps around the hammock. I had the lines over top of the ridge line so it would pull the UQ up to the hammock. Not sure this is right. Looked kind of goofy with line running everywhere. How do the paracord lines along the sides of the PLUQ be attached to the suspension?

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    falcon rider, if you followed the same instructions i did, then the paracord on the sides have loops on the end, with shockcord ran from side to side thru those loops. then i use micro biners attached to the shockcord to hook it near the ends of the hammock.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Stock
    Suspension
    Stock
    Sounds like we did follow the same instructions. I will try rigging it again, using your suggestion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12