Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    mambajamba
    Insulation
    Cadam down

Which Tarp works best.

I am new to hanging, just getting geared up. I recently bought the Warbonnet BB and now need to get a tarp. Weight and good coverage are my main concerns... What do you pros use with the BB.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Welcome to HF, your gonna get a lot of different answers on this, but if you want the lightest weight with the most coverage; cuban fiber is your EXPENSIVE answer! There are a few manufacturers, hammock gear and zpacks to name a couple. The more reasonably priced are made from silnylon and the lower end of the price range would be PU coated. They get heavier as the price goes down!

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    40* or 20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I recently purchased the Old Man Winter from Wilserness Logics. It's a silnylon tarp with doors so it offers great coverage. It packs up very small, a bit larger than a pop can, and only weighs 19 ounces. I love this tarp and it's only $140!!!!! I chose Zpacks spectra cord for ridge line and guy lines. I added shock cord for the side pull outs. The third tie out on the side is a great feature that helps the tarp always stay tight...

Many other hangers will have suggestions but as I said before, I love this tarp!

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    That's one of those questions that will get 100 responses and each one will be different. If you toss out some details about what you feel you want out of the tarp then things will start to get more refined. Are you looking for the smallest packed size, the most coverage, good shade coverage, weight conscious?, budget conscious? The list can go on and on.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    A few more concrete numbers would help. How much are you willing to pay? Do you want 4 season with doors? Or a Hex? Perhaps a Diamond or Asym? What is the maximum you want it to weigh? Have you considered DIY? Does it need to match your shoes?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Unfortunately, it's one of those situations where you can choose only two from the list of light, good coverage, affordable. Choose which of those you would compromise on and go from there. If you've got $$ to burn, cuben fibre is hard to beat for full coverage and light weight. If you don't mind having to be a bit careful with pitching the tarp, then an asym tarp made from silnylon wouldn't cost too much (I'm seriously considering making one myself for my WBBB). If you decide you can live with some extra weight, then you've got some more options with hex tarps or winter tarps.

Good luck. I'm still searching for my dream tarp. Hopefully yours is easy to find!
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Quote Originally Posted by SADLK View Post
    I recently purchased the Old Man Winter from Wilserness Logics. It's a silnylon tarp with doors so it offers great coverage. It packs up very small, a bit larger than a pop can, and only weighs 19 ounces. I love this tarp and it's only $140!!!!! I chose Zpacks spectra cord for ridge line and guy lines. I added shock cord for the side pull outs. The third tie out on the side is a great feature that helps the tarp always stay tight...

Many other hangers will have suggestions but as I said before, I love this tarp!

Nice choice.
    Old Man Winter and Superfly on my short list.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I couldn't decide so I bought four -- one brand new Superfly and three others in the FS section. I love them all - a MacCat Delux with door mod in sil, a WB BMJ in spinn and most recently a Hammock Gear Cuben with doors. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by griesl View Post
    I couldn't decide so I bought four
    In the guitar community they call that GAS - guitar acquisition syndrome. Is there a word for it in the HF community?

I'm very jealous!!

Images
    i still have my WB Superfly w/sewn on doors (2008 Model). great tarp, very durable and great service.

KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast