Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: edc knife

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    I used to carry hinge down myself, but when I picked up my current EDC (a CRKT M16-12ZER) I was surprised how quickly I got used to the different orientation. When I draw the knife between my index and thumb, it places it perfectly for use.

Are you used to a "flipper" opening that uses the pocket? I had one of those before and it was opening as it was leaving my pocket (super fast). Now I think I prefer this method.
    I have tried all different knives with different clips. I am an animal control officer so I often need the knife when my position or safety is compromised. With all I carry and the way things work I find this is the quickest and safest way to pull and open when needed. When I grab it and pull I never have to adjust my grip. I grab pull and flick and the knife is deployed. I could ( being in law enforcement) get away with a full auto, but those are usually much more expensive. I would also worry if i pushed the button while fighting a dog and stab my leg.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Perhaps consider the Benchmade Barrage. I had the mini barrage for a time. Nice knife with great assisted opening. The barrage sounds to meet your criteria better. I carry a Benchmade Sequel and love it, but it is a bit shorter than you desire and not assisted.
    I know benchmade and Coldsteel make great knives. I also know that you have pay for that greatness. That knife looks like it would be fine but its $60 more then the aegis.

I was hoping someone had an extra knife that fit my needs.

miyanc,

Let me look when I get home this evening and see what I have that might fit your needs. I know I have a Benchmade Folder with the Spyderco hole in the blade but it's drop point instead of tanto... It's real easy to flick open and carried point up ( hinge down ).

If not Benchmade also has a nice one here :

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchma...iptilian--6211

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown2 View Post
    miyanc,

Let me look when I get home this evening and see what I have that might fit your needs. I know I have a Benchmade Folder with the Spyderco hole in the blade but it's drop point instead of tanto... It's real easy to flick open and carried point up ( hinge down ).

If not Benchmade also has a nice one here :

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchma...iptilian--6211
    I would prefer flat grind straight edge. The tanto was just because it was what was cheaper. The only thing I don't want is serrated.

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    benchmade mini griptillian in drop point or sheeps foot,
    or a spyderco delica . I know a guy who loves his tenacious G-10, but i think its a bit heavy. I had a tanto blade for a while, worst EDC ever. you loose a good portion of your cutting edge, and they were designed for piercing ancient armor, unless you are punching through car hoods, id skip it, HYOH

you could also get an opinel for 15 bones, rock that for a couple of months and then buy a fancier edc knife later. I loved mine.
    Last edited by dedominick; 10-30-2012 at 11:50.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I have tried all different knives with different clips. I am an animal control officer so I often need the knife when my position or safety is compromised. With all I carry and the way things work I find this is the quickest and safest way to pull and open when needed. When I grab it and pull I never have to adjust my grip. I grab pull and flick and the knife is deployed. I could ( being in law enforcement) get away with a full auto, but those are usually much more expensive. I would also worry if i pushed the button while fighting a dog and stab my leg.
    Oh wow, I think that does change things a bit! Safety first!
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    The crkt ignitor and M4 both are assisted (outburst in their language) opening and I have experience with both. I gave an ignitor with green/black G10 handles to my father and really like the safety that keeps it from opening until you depress the botton on the thumb stud. It worked really well and was a very natural move when opening the blade. I have been carrying a carson design M4-02S (stag handle version) for about 3 weeks now and love everything about the knife except the thickness of the stage handle, I wish it was just a bit thinner. The steels are comparable on both and of decent quality stainless that seems to hold an edge fairly well. They both carry tip down right hand and open very quickly with minimal practice. The carson M4 is beautiful and requires a bit more push on the thumb stud to open then the Ignitor does. The G10 handle on the ignitor is a thinner profile and sits real nice in the pocket. Both blades are 3+ inches and both would work really well for you IMHO.

Most current mid range folding EDC knives open really quickly today, the benchmade griptillian (both full size and mini) are wonderful knives that even without assisted opening take minimal push on the thumb stud to fully deploy. Beware of some assisted knives that like to open in your pocket.

I loaned my girptillian to my wife in the garden about a month ago and she lost it. I found it with the mower about 2 weeks later and for that reason I pulled the M4 out of the drawer and now carry it. Don't get me wrong, I like the M4 a lot but the griptillian opened almost as quickly and just as easily but was a lot more knife then the M4 however it also cost almost double. There is a trade off.

Best of luck looking for a new friend to carry with you every day.

huauqui

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dedominick View Post
    benchmade mini griptillian in drop point or sheeps foot,
    or a spyderco delica . I know a guy who loves his tenacious G-10, but i think its a bit heavy. I had a tanto blade for a while, worst EDC ever. you loose a good portion of your cutting edge, and they were designed for piercing ancient armor, unless you are punching through car hoods, id skip it, HYOH

you could also get an opinel for 15 bones, rock that for a couple of months and then buy a fancier edc knife later. I loved mine.
    When i got the last one everyone said the same thing. i actually never had a problem. it gave me 2 points to use for cutting chopping or slicing. i have had many a knife tip brake off or bend. the tanto tip is less likely to do so. the other edge or tip i used many times at well. I am not saying your wrong I just found it not to be the case. I also don't mind knowing I can drive the knife into something especially if that something is attacking me.

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    When i got the last one everyone said the same thing. i actually never had a problem. it gave me 2 points to use for cutting chopping or slicing. i have had many a knife tip brake off or bend. the tanto tip is less likely to do so. the other edge or tip i used many times at well. I am not saying your wrong I just found it not to be the case. I also don't mind knowing I can drive the knife into something especially if that something is attacking me.
    Solid.

yeah, depends on your purpose, i didnt like it in a shorter knife because i didnt have much of a cutting edge for carving.

Hammock
    WL Snipe, BIAS WW
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps N Whoopies
    I have tryed all kinds of knives but have never been able to replace my Flash II. I have never worn one out. I have had 2 of them and just seem to lose them. As far as the requirements you have about the clip, I dont think there is another company that has the clip so close to the hilt. The next best thing that I have found is my EESE Izula if you dont mind a sheeth blade.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast