Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    go buy some 6" long aluminum gutter nails. They are cheap and weigh next to nothing
    They are cheap and light, but they bend quite easily. I used those for a long time, but got tired of incessantly replacing/straightening them and invested in a good set of durable stakes. Some gear is worth paying a premium for. JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I really like the "V" shaped small aluminum stakes. They are light and will go through almost anything. I have some aluminum "nail" type stakes and they bend very easily. I have been using the same set of "V" stakes for a while now and there is no visible damage except for some scuffs and scratches. I have hammered them through what felt like solid rock several times. The "V" shape also give them great holding power. I just can't see spending the money for the titanium stakes.

The ones I use are pretty small, 6-8" I think, and I only paid like $1 each at my outfitters. They only downside it that they tend to collect dirt in the "V" section. I firm whack against a rock will take care of that most of the time.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I really like the "V" shaped small aluminum stakes. They are light and will go through almost anything. I have some aluminum "nail" type stakes and they bend very easily. I have been using the same set of "V" stakes for a while now and there is no visible damage except for some scuffs and scratches. I have hammered them through what felt like solid rock several times. The "V" shape also give them great holding power. I just can't see spending the money for the titanium stakes.

The ones I use are pretty small, 6-8" I think, and I only paid like $1 each at my outfitters. They only downside it that they tend to collect dirt in the "V" section. I firm whack against a rock will take care of that most of the time.
    That's pretty much the same idea as my Groundhogs...which, by the way, are only $2 or so at my REI store. Not bad for titanium. And I know they'll last pretty much forever. Interesting you haven't bent your aluminum ones - I've never had a set last me more than 3 or 4 uses.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    That's pretty much the same idea as my Groundhogs...which, by the way, are only $2 or so at my REI store. Not bad for titanium.
    Groundhogs are aluminum, no?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Hmm...I thought they were titanium. Maybe I'm wrong, unless they make them in aluminum too...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Hmm...I thought they were titanium. Maybe I'm wrong, unless they make them in aluminum too...
    Maybe they used to make titanium ones. Currently all the ones listed on MSR's website are aluminum.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Maybe they used to make titanium ones. Currently all the ones listed on MSR's website are aluminum.
    I bought these at REI less than a year ago, so I guess they're aluminum. Interesting. No wonder they were so cheap! Really light and DURABLE though, so no worries!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I've never had a set last me more than 3 or 4 uses.
    Guess you have now. Seriously, though, the last time I was in Charlotte, I got a few Groundhogs @ REI as well. I used them on the one night of my ill-fated AT section hike and they seemed to work well. I had no problem getting them in the ground @ Groundhog Creek Shelter at all.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    They are cheap and light, but they bend quite easily. I used those for a long time, but got tired of incessantly replacing/straightening them and invested in a good set of durable stakes. Some gear is worth paying a premium for. JMO

I have used the aluminum gutter nails for yrs with no problems..maybe you have a heavy foot

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have used the aluminum gutter nails for yrs with no problems..maybe you have a heavy foot
    Maybe, but now I've got some good stakes that don't bend, so I'm satisfied.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast