1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Adding down to sleeping bag

In another thread I debated buying an 80% down bag from Sports Authority. There is no label, but I think it is 400 FP down. SA swears it’s a 10 degree bag, but I think it is 40-50 at best.

I plan to cut it into two 42” x 64” UQs.
    Even though I got it cheap, I almost hate to take scissors to it. Besides needing more down it is a good bag. Wide, Long, zipper can open to vent foot, drawstring at head, small pocket for keys etc. Compresses to 7x17 and I can get it to 5x8

I was thinking about adding 3.5 oz of 800FP to each UQ.
    There will be 7 rows of baffles on each UQ. There is a seam down the middle so each row has a left side and a right side baffle. That means I will need to open 14 baffles per UQ.
    • That’s 0.25 oz of down per baffle. That seems like such a small number. What does 0.25 down look like? I’m going to have to find a scale that can measure 0.25 oz.
    • What is the best way to open the baffles? Razor blade? Opening the stitching looks tedious.
    • What is the best way to close the openings?

Thanks
    DownBagOpen.jpgDownBagStuffBag.jpgDownBagTag.jpgDownBagLoft.jpgDownBag.jpg

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    With all due respect... IMO a 400 fill power bag is hardly worth the effort to add down to. It is, in effect, mostly feathers. Down is a word which is so loosely used in many cases it is virtually impossible to decipher unless a legitimate content label is affixed. Duck down is a vastly different than goose down, which is vastly different from white goose down which is vastly different from other species of goose. 400 fill is very low quality down indeed. That a lot of work for not much gain in my opinion.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    With all due respect... IMO a 400 fill power bag is hardly worth the effort to add down to. It is, in effect, mostly feathers. Down is a word which is so loosely used in many cases it is virtually impossible to decipher unless a legitimate content label is affixed. Duck down is a vastly different than goose down, which is vastly different from white goose down which is vastly different from other species of goose. 400 fill is very low quality down indeed. That a lot of work for not much gain in my opinion.
    Very informative, thank you.

• + New Posts