DIY 1.5oz 2 Layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    DIY IX 2 Layer
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Other Uses

Think I could like this a lot, I always love objects with multiple purposes. This could be a nice item to have in an emergency.

This may be a strange question, and I do not have the experience to know if it is a good idea, but could it be made with the top ripstop and the bottom silnylon? My thought is I could attempt to fold it (or snaps/fasteners) and use it as a pack cover. It could be a small tarp, it might even be able to afford some uq protection. I've never used a bivy, so I don't know if there is a breathable-vs-wet conflict. I am also pretty tall so gear or my daughter would probably fill it unless it was an emergency.

Again, love the idea.

Born Old

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Nice job Mac.
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic

Great idea!

I like it. Wow, that brings a lot of new ideas to mind.

I bet in hammock mode you could sleep between the layers with the screen on the top and you've got a bug resistant hammock if you seal off the openings with some velcro.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Very nice! Love the multi purpose design.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    History made again by McIntyre/Mors K.
    The first hammock that can be a double layer hammock with ccf pad deployed between layers OR
    a single layer hammock with integral overcover AND bug netting.
    Mors is a thinker and great execution Mac

I would think the sil-nyl version of the UQP by 2Q/ZQ would also work when using as a ground bivy-or ever a couple trash bags for that matter.

I also think a lot of us who have bObs, that for the most part the hammock has not been a real consideration; that has changed.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Great idea Mors and Mac!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Medicine Man has answered just as I was going to, Born Old!

A silnylon hammock would be impractical, due to condensation. The 2Q/ZQ UQ protector would be an example of the gear that could work for you in hammock mode or in bivvy mode, especially if you could un-gather the ends. The Molly Mac Gear IX UQs would do the same.

Of course, your daughter needs her own Survival Hammock... you can't have her in there with you when you are hanging!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    That is pretty cool, I have long liked the idea of a hammock that's multi-purpose, and something that can double as a usable bivy with a bugnet is pretty awesome. I look forward to seeing more on this one!

I'm particularly curious to see how it turns out if you can get it reversed so the bugnet works in hammock mode too. That would be a real killer design for me, something I could see carrying on a lot of trips, especially if the weight and bulk aren't too bad.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Yes, Mac give us some prospective weights...maybe with some different material combos.

Also was thinking on the drive home this morning about two sleeves left and right about 4 inches long near the head area on both--to hold a POLE MOD---keep the material off the face when bivi-ing.
    Or cut a piece of willow and do the same and not fool with carry the cf pole.

OK, so I get it you like the 9 foot length---but why? I see it is comfortable bacause of the width but I HATE my feet hanging over the edge; I think a lot of us do, and that is the reason the foot box mod had been put on a lot of gathered end hammocks. SO, will different sized models be available. Personally I'd take a foot longer one and suffer the weight if that keeps or helps keep my legs in the hammock.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    I'm particularly curious to see how it turns out if you can get it reversed so the bugnet works in hammock mode too. That would be a real killer design for me, something I could see carrying on a lot of trips, especially if the weight and bulk aren't too bad.
    If you are not too heavy, it will work just fine... I am over 200 lbs and I use a single layer 1.1 hammock often.

The problem will be getting into it... Thing1 and I figured that you would be better off if you stood beside the hammock and put the opening between the layers over your head... then sit on the side that has no window.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Yes, Mac give us some prospective weights...maybe with some different material combos.
    It will be a bit more than a pound... will know exactly when I make one using two layers of 1.1 ropstop.

Also was thinking ...a POLE MOD---keep the material off the face when bivi-ing.
    2New2Hang already suggested that. There is not much material, so it would only be a little above your face. It's worth a try, though.

OK, so I get it you like the 9 foot length---but why?
    The production hammock will be 10' long. It's short so that there is not a huge amount of excess material in bivvy mode. There is easily room for your pack in there with you!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast