DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcatcarl View Post
    i dont want something to heavy but heavy enough. id like to be able to us it in yellowstone this summer without being to hot. i dont mind being warm. i usually dont have a problem sleeping cold, i actually sleep better. how long would you say it takes to make one once ou have everything laid out in front of you?
    my first one took 2-3 days on the sewing machine...once i made a few i got alot better....i can whip one out in under a day 10-14 hours ... if i work on it non-stop my sewing machine is smoking by the time i'm done LOL

there not hard to make...it just takes time
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I would say, with down, fabric and noseeum, your looking at about $105, cheaper if you can find the walmart fabric. I can walk you through it if you want, but without a machine, I wouldn't really try it.

On a side note: I alone will have an extra full length underquilt with me and a 3/4 length uq.

You can make a supplement to the uq with some fleece. Probably something that would be easy to hand sew by doubling up some fleece, adding some grosgrain tabs at the corners and some shock cord.

Just a thought.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i'll have a 4 season with me and i was planning on taking my HH SS that you could use. if you put the SS with Dbl's 3/4 you will be fine at 0F. sleeping cold and sleeping with a cold spot are two totally different and uncomfortable things. it's not sleeping cold it's being awake while cold and waiting for the morning.

i would highly suggest taking your time. frustration and rushing do not go well with DIY projects. if you want to make an UQ for 0F I wouldn't use it for a 3 season. a good DIY 4 season will run around $90-$115.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition, Scout, DIY
    Tarp
    asym
    if there is something i could use that would be great. i wish i could be down locally. i was looking at the hhss. how are they? they are actually on sale for 100 bucks and come with the over cover. i cant wait for my tax return. lol. i know what im buying.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Wetcatcarl

When you got your hammock, I think you mentioned you also recieved a Scout with it.

You could use the scout as a bottom support for your insulation, spread out whatever you have, then top with a space blanket for a VB. Use additional clips or ties may be necessary to keep it lined with your upper hammock. String them both up and experiment.

With a pad inside your main hamock and the under insulation you can do real well. This is not a carry system, but yould buy you enough time to see what else is available and take your time doing exactly what you want. A bit of back yard pre work is about all that is necessary.

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition, Scout, DIY
    Tarp
    asym
    thats also a good idea TZ.its kinda like the idea of the HHSS. i have a emergency blanket i carry at all times as well so i could use that too.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I posted a video that documented my process making a UQ from a 10$ wally-world bag. I made another one last week. Took me about an hour to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWP7dmvTszk

Hope this helps, ya! Be sure and post some pics of your progress!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    I posted a video that documented my process making a UQ from a 10$ wally-world bag. I made another one last week. Took me about an hour to make.
    Like the vid, I'm jealous of your Serger! Looks like it makes jobs easier...

Another individual has a thread on his DIY mummy - UQ project:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=17039

I made one, using darts, but it just wasn't that warm (45, at best) and was quite heavy... so I bought a KAQ new river, and later made the DIY IX UQ. I also have a no-sew Poncho liner UQ... Is 3 enough? NO! well... maybe... I do have 2 kids, after all... so maybe just ONE more...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    CreativeKayt.

Great video. Sorry for this long post, but your project matches the design and the exact wally bag I have been kicking around in my head for a while. I have several questions. My goal is to get 2 UQs out of one bag.

1. After you cut the bag lengthwise, why did you remove the stiching before sewing the grossgrain onto the long edge? Is it to keep from sewing thru the insulation? Do you think I could just "pinch" the edge enuf to get material to sew the gross grain to? This is really one of my biggest questions as to the how to.

2. With hindsight would you dart? I like keep it simple, but will consider darts if you think it is worth it. Possible to help with packed size.

3. You said your shock cord diameter works well at holding the UQ in place. I may have missed it, but what diameter did you use. BTW your S-biner over the gathered end of the hammock is the only thing that was not in my design. I think it is genius and will steal it.

4. How does 33" width work? I posted an earlier thread asking if 33" was too narrow (I told you I had these exact plans kicking around in my head). The consensus seemed to be 33" is too narrow. What do you think?

5. How is weight and compression. I am by no means a gram weenie, I am not UL or even L. However, you spend enuf time on these sites and you begin to re-evaluate your systems. Can you give ballpark packed size volume?

6. Temperatures. I live in the South East. I would like one year round UQ. Coldest weather would probably be this weekend 32 - 36 degrees. Hotest was last summer 80 at midnight, but that will not happen again because I will not be on any more post March pre October trips. Will this UQ be OK in 34 degrees if I sleep in a 30 -40 degree bag inside the hammock? Will this UQ be cool enuf in the spring 50 - 60 degrees if I leave gaps in the end for air to circulate?

Sorry for the long post, but it rare you see a project match 100%.

Thanks

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    CreativeKayt.

Great video. Sorry for this long post, but your project matches the design and the exact wally bag I have been kicking around in my head for a while. I have several questions. My goal is to get 2 UQs out of one bag.
    Thank you. (nodding) I got two 33 inch wide quilts out of one bag. I also bought a second bag to make one a little wider (44 inches with three additional loops per side) for my bridge hammock. I plan to use the left over portion for my gathered hammock as a foot end cocoon.

1. After you cut the bag lengthwise, why did you remove the stiching before sewing the grossgrain onto the long edge? Is it to keep from sewing thru the insulation? Do you think I could just "pinch" the edge enuf to get material to sew the gross grain to? This is really one of my biggest questions as to the how to.
    You know... for that one, I removed the stitching because I had originally planned to add a bit more insulation, which I ended up not doing. I also wanted to shove the existing insulation back from the edge. In successive versions, I have not removed the stitching (I only removed the zipper). With only one side to serge (where I cut), it makes the project go a lot faster, too.

2. With hindsight would you dart? I like keep it simple, but will consider darts if you think it is worth it. Possible to help with packed size.
    When I get around to making a much nicer version of UQ, I probably will try darting, but for these, I have no regrets "not" darting them. I lay pretty flat on the diagonal in my gathered end hammock and my lay is also flat for my bridge. I just snug up the shock cording on the ends and side and it seems to hug me well. I like the thicker 1/4 inch shock cord I used too, because I can really feel where the UQ is and it stays where I put it and I think it helps compensate for not having cupping darts.

I just completed my wider version with 1/8 shock cording throughout and have yet to really try it out, so I'm not yet sure if I'll get the same body-cupping results on that one. Stay tuned.

3. You said your shock cord diameter works well at holding the UQ in place. I may have missed it, but what diameter did you use. BTW your S-biner over the gathered end of the hammock is the only thing that was not in my design. I think it is genius and will steal it.
    Shock cord: I used 1/4 inch diameter shock cord on that one. I'm experimenting with 1/8 shock cord for my newer, wider version.

S-biner: Thank you! It acts a bit like those triangle thingies (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1633323) and I like the easy adjustability you get, to boot. Steal with pride!!!

4. How does 33" width work? I posted an earlier thread asking if 33" was too narrow (I told you I had these exact plans kicking around in my head). The consensus seemed to be 33" is too narrow. What do you think?
    It works well for me, but I'm kinda narrow of shoulder (but not of hip -- gulp) . Just to give you guys an idea, if I measured myself for a men's dinner jacket, I wear about a 38 regular. I have made a bit wider version for my bridge that weighs in at 44 inches wide. It's a great width for my bridge, but I have yet to try it on my gathered end. (whispers) I just finished it last Thursday and haven't had time to play much -- darn it.

If I had wider shoulders, I would probably go wider, but it really depends on your body type. My nephews and younger brother did okay with it, but I doubt my older, more stockily-build brother would.

5. How is weight and compression. I am by no means a gram weenie, I am not UL or even L. However, you spend enuf time on these sites and you begin to re-evaluate your systems. Can you give ballpark packed size volume?
    weight is 2 lbs 6 oz and here is a picture of it in it's little bag (also picked up at Wally's -- it came in the three bag offering).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1268576...7625116433414/

It certainly doesn't compress as much as down, but the trade-off is cost, so... (shrug).

6. Temperatures. I live in the South East. I would like one year round UQ. Coldest weather would probably be this weekend 32 - 36 degrees. Hotest was last summer 80 at midnight, but that will not happen again because I will not be on any more post March pre October trips. Will this UQ be OK in 34 degrees if I sleep in a 30 -40 degree bag inside the hammock? Will this UQ be cool enuf in the spring 50 - 60 degrees if I leave gaps in the end for air to circulate?

Sorry for the long post, but it rare you see a project match 100%.

Thanks
    I've been pretty darned happy with it, regarding temps, especially given its a $10 Wally bag conversion. It depends on if you are a hot or cold sleeper, but I've used it with my mummy bag in 30 to 35 degree F temps, no problem. In fact, this weekend, I used it at that temp with a new bag, and my underside was not cold. I did get a little cold on the top, but not the bottom, so I hauled out the extra UQ that I had in the truck of the same design and put it on top. I've also doubled up, laying a light-weight fleece blanket between my hammock and UQ or using one of Wally's blue pads slipped into my bridge hammock pad pocket for slightly colder temps (in the upper 20s). The easy venting option works great to cool down, too. If I get hot, I just reach out and loosen the head end of my UQ.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress and findings!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast