Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Could you use your poncho liner and some grip clips just to try it out? I did that 2 days ago in my front yard. The day temp was 95 here in Oklahoma, and the night about 70. Worked for me. I have a Hennessy.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Cranky Bear speaks words of wisdom.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    +1 for everyone is different. I would not need anything underneath at 75*F. Neither would Thing1... she sleeps indoors at 75*F without insulation under her hammock every night!

Essentially, you need something to combat CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome), just in case you experience it. Perhaps you turn in wet from rain, or you catch a cold, or you have not eaten as well as you should. Maybe it's a windy night. Whatever the reason, you might need a wee bit of insulation.

You could use something like one of the sit pads I made recently. It's not as heavy or thick as CCF, just a 2'X3' nylon covering with a thin layer of any kind of insulation inside. Normally, it will be your sit pad. When you feel a little cool on the bottom of your hammock, just put the sit pad under your torso, inside the hammock. It needs to be something flimsy enough to conform to your backside, preferably not as stiff as CCF. You can adjust the size to suit the material you choose.

You could use one of 2QZQ's $25 UQ Protector. You don't have to have a UQ to use the Protector. It's a full length silnylon weather shield, so it will block the wind and wind blown rain. It's a vapor barrier, which might not be a good thing in your climate.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiments!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    If YOU are acclimated to Guam, 75 ° F might feel chilly, and you may even wear a light jacket. You might be able to stroll about in 95° heat and not have it bother you while I would be bordering on heat stroke.

Sometimes, it's not just the person, but also their climate acclimation. Look at Pgibson's visiting Alabama in shorts and sandals when the locals are wearing coats.

That being said, I would not need one at those temps. However if YOU do need some insualtion, you might just try a weathershield instead. It'll block wind and rain while adding bout 5-10 degrees of warmth underneath.

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    On the Hawaiian Islands (a little colder), I used a piece of fleece, folded a few times under my torso (groin to shoulders), inside the hammock. I also found a wind break to be essential (a poncho, piece of plastic, &c.).

With that combination, I was quite comfortable. I had to prepare it all slowly though, to avoid overheating from muscle exertion.

I'm not sure why he's being shy about mentioning it, but Mac has exactly what you need.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16829

The video is here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16954

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Cranky Bear speaks words of wisdom.
    Thank you sir! But I cannot take credit as everything I have said on here is something that I have learned from all of you!!!

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    Could you use your poncho liner and some grip clips just to try it out? I did that 2 days ago in my front yard. The day temp was 95 here in Oklahoma, and the night about 70. Worked for me. I have a Hennessy.
    I hadn't thought of that. I'll definetly test it and see if it could work for me. It seems it would be enough of a wind break to keep me a little warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    +1 for everyone is different. I would not need anything underneath at 75*F. Neither would Thing1... she sleeps indoors at 75*F without insulation under her hammock every night!

Essentially, you need something to combat CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome), just in case you experience it. Perhaps you turn in wet from rain, or you catch a cold, or you have not eaten as well as you should. Maybe it's a windy night. Whatever the reason, you might need a wee bit of insulation.

You could use something like one of the sit pads I made recently. It's not as heavy or thick as CCF, just a 2'X3' nylon covering with a thin layer of any kind of insulation inside. Normally, it will be your sit pad. When you feel a little cool on the bottom of your hammock, just put the sit pad under your torso, inside the hammock. It needs to be something flimsy enough to conform to your backside, preferably not as stiff as CCF. You can adjust the size to suit the material you choose.

You could use one of 2QZQ's $25 UQ Protector. You don't have to have a UQ to use the Protector. It's a full length silnylon weather shield, so it will block the wind and wind blown rain. It's a vapor barrier, which might not be a good thing in your climate.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiments!

- MacEntyre
    Thanks for the advice...I'll do some testing and see what works best. I looked at the 5-1 Jerry Chair mentioned by Losdindawoods and that seems like something that may work well too. After testing this weekend I may PM you about one if you have any for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If YOU are acclimated to Guam, 75 ° F might feel chilly, and you may even wear a light jacket. You might be able to stroll about in 95° heat and not have it bother you while I would be bordering on heat stroke.

Sometimes, it's not just the person, but also their climate acclimation. Look at Pgibson's visiting Alabama in shorts and sandals when the locals are wearing coats.

That being said, I would not need one at those temps. However if YOU do need some insualtion, you might just try a weathershield instead. It'll block wind and rain while adding bout 5-10 degrees of warmth underneath.
    Funny you should mention that...when I first arrived here I chuckled when I saw people wearing jackets if the temp dropped to 70 on a random cool day. After being here a while though, that 70 degrees does feel a bit chilly...haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Skye View Post
    On the Hawaiian Islands (a little colder), I used a piece of fleece, folded a few times under my torso (groin to shoulders), inside the hammock. I also found a wind break to be essential (a poncho, piece of plastic, &c.).

With that combination, I was quite comfortable. I had to prepare it all slowly though, to avoid overheating from muscle exertion.
    Thanks for the tip! Hawaii must have been a nice place to hang!

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    I'm not sure why he's being shy about mentioning it, but Mac has exactly what you need.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16829

The video is here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16954
    Thanks for the link...definetly something I will look in to!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantSalt View Post
    ...looked at the 5-1 Jerry Chair

...may PM you about one if you have any for sale...
    I make them every day!

The Jerry Chair is an excellent choice for you. I make Insultex Underquilts as well, but they have no other use. You will do better with something that serves more than one purpose, especially if it is not always used as an underquilt.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I make them every day!

The Jerry Chair is an excellent choice for you. I make Insultex Underquilts as well, but they have no other use. You will do better with something that serves more than one purpose, especially if it is not always used as an underquilt.

- MacEntyre
    Great! I will do some testing and get back to you. I definetly like its multiple uses, especially as a lightweight chair!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12