Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello and please help

Hey guys! I'm not a "hanger" just yet, but I believe I'll be getting dangly soon enough.
    So hello!

I'm not one to start off with an entry set up and slowly upgrade to the cat's mewow as it ends up costing much more in the end.
    So, here's my question:

What would I get if I were to just cut to the chase and get the best set-up right away?

Please list everything remembering I'm completely new to this concept.
    -Hammock
    -under/over quilts?
    -tarp?
    -pad?
    -suspension option?
    -Carabiner and other options?

My info which should narrow things down a lot:
    I'm 6'7" 275 pounds.
    I almost always sleep flat on my back (in a bed).
    I'd primarily be using this stuff in the spring/summer in WestCoast Canada (mild often wet weather, and occasionally hot weather). BUT having the ability to add on to my rig for colder conditions would be a huge bonus.
    I'll be packing it with me on motorcycles, the smallest of which is just a simple dirtbike. (Space is extremely important. Weight is secondary.)

The idea here is that once I'm convinced I know what is ideal I will just get it when I can afford it and keep that one setup my whole life (nieve I know, but that's the goal).

My little bit of research thusfar has lead me to be moslty impressed with the Clarke Jungle NX-250, BUT it doesn't seem to have a footbox? I would think this is critical for me as I don't have the best knees, so maybe this puts the WBBB Dble 1.7 on the top?

Thanks for your time regardless of helping me out or just saying hi!

Yogi

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Hi from Ohio. I'll let the more experienced help you with your questions; although it's like asking me to dream my wildest dream of hammock gear, if costs were not an issue....I still better leave this one alone

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Well, I'm not the most experienced hanger, but I will give it a shot. There are a bunch of variables, including cost and how warm you want to use it. I have read this forum until I am nearly blind, and would guess you would get a lot of positive reactions to the following setup.

Hammock - Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double
    Underquilt- Incubator from Hammockgear.com
    topquilt - Burrow from Hammockgear.com
    Tarp - If money is no object, get a 4 season cuben fiber tarp from zpacks.com
    Pad - not needed
    Suspension - stick with the stock WBBB suspension, straps and buckles
    Carabiners - get two Camp Nano 23 climbing biners, or a couple of Dutch Clips from Jacksrbetter.

For the quillts, you need to decide about the 20 degree or the 40 degree, based on your expected temps.

I realize attempting to give one blanket answer may stir something up, since so much of this is personal preference. All of the cottage industry stuff here is pretty highly thought of. (Jacks r Better, Hammockgear, wilderness logics, tewa quilts, etc) But if you really want a one-stop shop of a high end setup, without doing a bunch of testing and reading, you could do worse. Just my 2 cents. (I can't actually afford most of that list, by the way)

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.

i think you are creating a circular reference. the best one of anything is the one you settle on after you have tried them all.
    i started with what i thought was "the" end all hammock only to find out i was wrong.
    see if you can get together with some owners of different hammocks and rent them for a test hang. or you can do what i did was: read, research, question, decide(guess) and buy.
    it's hard to throw a bulls-eye the first time you toss a dart.
    good luck! have fun.

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Dang, for off the shelf it's tough to beat (in my opinion) a Hennessy Hammock and it sounds like the Safari Deluxe would fit the bill. Add the Super Shelter that's custom made for it and you're set. It already has a great fly and bug net built in. And it's a Canadian company if your patriotic.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I agree with Flatline. You research and read and decide what is best for you,,the style of hanging your going to accomplish. What stikes your fancy??? Nobody can pick for you what you need as we are all alittle biased in our opinions of who/what/where it comes from is best....and seeing as that you might be packing on a bike,,,maybe the guys/gals that pack equipment on their bikes,,can tell you how it all packs up as well..

welcome to the hammock forum and good luck,,all these cottage equipment makers are all good to go,,just get what you think will fit your needs and if you don't like it,,it will sell on this forum very fast.and you can get something differeent to suit your needs.

Hammock
    TC jungle, HB triple L Owl, TTTM
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

Try going about this backwards

Quote Originally Posted by YogiPerogi View Post
    Hey guys! I'm not a "hanger" just yet, but I believe I'll be getting dangly soon enough.
    So hello!

I'm not one to start off with an entry set up and slowly upgrade to the cat's mewow as it ends up costing much more in the end.
    So, here's my question:

What would I get if I were to just cut to the chase and get the best set-up right away?

Please list everything remembering I'm completely new to this concept.
    -Hammock
    -under/over quilts?
    -tarp?
    -pad?
    -suspension option?
    -Carabiner and other options?

My info which should narrow things down a lot:
    I'm 6'7" 275 pounds.
    I almost always sleep flat on my back (in a bed).
    I'd primarily be using this stuff in the spring/summer in WestCoast Canada (mild often wet weather, and occasionally hot weather). BUT having the ability to add on to my rig for colder conditions would be a huge bonus.
    I'll be packing it with me on motorcycles, the smallest of which is just a simple dirtbike. (Space is extremely important. Weight is secondary.)

The idea here is that once I'm convinced I know what is ideal I will just get it when I can afford it and keep that one setup my whole life (nieve I know, but that's the goal).

My little bit of research thusfar has lead me to be moslty impressed with the Clarke Jungle NX-250, BUT it doesn't seem to have a footbox? I would think this is critical for me as I don't have the best knees, so maybe this puts the WBBB Dble 1.7 on the top?

Thanks for your time regardless of helping me out or just saying hi!

Yogi
    Buying a hammock that suits you is tricky without being able to personally test it over decent length of time.
    However if I had my time again and wished not to damage my finances to much I would go about it this way

Buy your accessories first suspension, tarps, under quilts and top quilts can be mixed and matched to almost any hammock. You know the conditions in your local area and can purchase appropriate hammock accessories.

Most hammocks are relatively cheap in my opinion(quality accessories will cost you more than the hammock) if you get a hammock that doesn't suit you there is every chance you'll be able to easily sell it here on the forum, or just keep it as a spare for any guests you don't like

My personal experience- first hammock I got was lucky very comfortable suited the conditions here. Needed a second as my wife has become interested in using a hammock but it was a complete dud did not suit me at all

Have just ordered a third will have to see how that goes I should be close to having all the gear I need when it arrives

Good luck and welcome to the obsession your wallet should be nervous
    Last edited by I-NT; 11-02-2011 at 01:43.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    There are lots of threads on set-ups on the forums and there are as many "top-o'-the-line" set-ups as there are members here (thousands of combinations!). I would hesitate to promote any one hammock or style over another because you may find that the top hammock for one person may not work for you.

I highly recommend joining a group hang and try out several hammocks to get the swing of things.

I also recommend buying a "plain Jane" hammock to get a feel for laying in a hammock. I hate to say it, but there are several people who just can't knack it and end up selling off their stock and feeling bad about the whole thing. Why shell out $1,000 only to find out it's the wrong kit?

An end-gathered hammock can be picked up for less than $20 these days. It's a minimal investment to see if hanging is right for you.

I started off with a Hennessy (I still have and use it), but I found that simple is better for me, with a host of options. I use a basic end-gathered hammock most of the time.

AWESOME feedback dudes! Just the type of info I'm looking for. Thanks so much, and please keep it coming!

One question I have to ask now is: Where do I find one of these "group hangs" a few of you are talking about? I don't personally know a single person who owns a hammock tent.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    First, listen to Dehoja.

What's your budget? You can get into hammocking for $40 or $400
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda