DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    A Doss Bag
    Suspension
    Say what!! lol

New Slings in Sunderland (UK)

Hello world, how ya all doing? I`m ian from the North East Coat of England (UK), in a place called Sunderland.

Oooh, where to begin! It`s a rather huge story actually that can be traced back some 35 years to when i was about age 11, and so, not wanting to alienate myself from everyone when i`ve just stepped through the door i shall try to be as concise as i possibly can. (cos when it comes to gear oh god i can talk).

- Age 11, joined school ramblers club and got my first rucksack
    - Around age 12 or 13 i got my first ever stove (ahhhh its a right of passage is it not folks). It was a camping gaz globetrotter - i still have it lol.
    Got older, employed, money, older, olderrrrrrrrrrrr and bought a small amount kit (you know how it is ), and foreverrrrr i have always camped in a tent Booooo..... Hisssss hums the forum walls. and until now was perfectly content.

I began looking through peoples kit bags on you tube one night (i love to see gear - i`m a gear freak, but arnt we all), and i kind of bumped into a lot of people putting together Bug out Bags or Every Day Carry bags and that really got me thinking about things. I must say here that i dont consider myself to be a survivalist in the slightest so please dont get me wrong. I carry a survival kit in my backpack and for 3 decades it has not seen the light of day (Im sure thats a good thing though), but i did become concerned about the state of affairs in the world these days, especially as i have just obtained my degree in Community and Youth Work Studies (sorry, did i mention i was a Youth Worker), and i found myself agreeing with a great deal of these videos in principal.
    Now im a (talker - yes we can see!! Im sorry, bare with me i will get to a hammock i swear i will) type of backpacker who packs the `kitchen sink` out with him. I know, i know! the craze these days is all Ultra lightweight and all, but i just cant be doing with that folks. I likes me comfort, and me comfort these days all fits into a Karrimor Sabre 60-100 with an extra 30 litres of side pockets on. (Oh god, how i love my bergen).

Anyways, i decided to put a rig together that, in the event of an emergency, i could ditch my bergen and carry on my waist only, a bug-out-bag. But i didnt want just survival bits and bobs, i wanted something that was going to be exactly like my bergen. Something practical and functional, i could use for actual Backpacking (only on my waist instead), and that would not just keep me alive for 72 hours in major discomfort, but provide me with a real shelter and camp environment.

So, that was the tents out. Only option i could think of was a net hammock.
    Off i went to you tube again and sat there til 4 or 5am getting myself an education in hammocks (told ya id get there in the end didnt i), when i happened upon someone showing the new DD travel Hammock. When i saw the size and weight, that was it, i knew i was having it but after 30 years in a tent, still needed that little push in order to pull the plastic out. That was when, per chance, i just so happened upon "The Shugmeister".

I never got to bed folks. i watched EVERYTHING this man had to say and that was it, i bought it there and then. I cant remember the last time i laughed so hard. Aside from a absolute wealth of knowledge old shug provided me with, he did one massive thing for me. He made me remember what it was like to camp as a kid. You know, the whole venturing into the unknown....the total buzz of it. Ohhh man, i really, really wish i could shake the mans hand for that. I`d became `safe` you know, to the point of every outdoor experience was regimental and methodical. it was ok but the `real` buzz had slipped away and i didnt even realise.

I have it back now, and i havent got a clue what im doing, but im loving doing it!!
    And that folks, leads me to here.
    I plan on venturing out into the wilds armed only with my hammock and a tiny amount of backpacking gear compared to what im used to. So, i came here (with not being suicidally inclined and all), to ask a few questions if needs be and get to know people of this new world of hammocking (well, new to me that is). Hey, i`ll probably pitch it (do you pitch a hammock by the way?) and fall out the thing the instant i climb in it. I think some nights out in the back garden are required first here).

Anyways, i best shut up now.
    Just want to say thanks for having me here to the admin, much obliged. And i look forward to getting to know a few people and learning....especially learning, as im a complete hammock noob.

Woooooooohoo Buddies

Kind Regards to all.

ian
    Last edited by Kittchen Sink; 08-22-2010 at 17:41.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images

Great first post KS, and a warm welcome to HF.
    It seems like British(is that spelled correct?) hammocking is really taking off. There are several active british hangers here. Also - you will find a ton of usefull info here

/Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post

Great first post KS, and a warm welcome to HF.
    What Bomber said!

Glad to have you here!

/Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the forums. We have members spread out all over the world. But the common thread that binds us all together is the love of hanging in trees in a hammock.
    Terry

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Great intro, Ian. Hang on, you're in for quite a ride!

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    A Doss Bag
    Suspension
    Say what!! lol
    Lol yeah i get the feeling Crazy H Lady. Thank you, and thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Very much appreciated. BTW, im also new to forums, never been in one before so i think i best get the hang of this before my hammock lol.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittchen Sink View Post
    That was when, per chance, i just so happened upon "The Shugmeister".

I never got to bed folks. i watched EVERYTHING this man had to say and that was it, i bought it there and then. I cant remember the last time i laughed so hard. Aside from a absolute wealth of knowledge old shug provided me with, he did one massive thing for me. He made me remember what it was like to camp as a kid. You know, the whole venturing into the unknown....the total buzz of it. Ohhh man, i really, really wish i could shake the mans hand for that. I`d became `safe` you know, to the point of every outdoor experience was regimental and methodical. it was ok but the `real` buzz had slipped away and i didnt even realise.
    I have it back now, and i havent got a clue what im doing, but im loving doing it!!
    And that folks, leads me to here.
    Anyways, i best shut up now.
    Just want to say thanks for having me here to the admin, much obliged. And i look forward to getting to know a few people and learning....especially learning, as im a complete hammock noob.

Woooooooohoo Buddies

Kind Regards to all.

ian
    That is the nicest comment that I have ever read about me ... the Shugmeister of the third person speak!
    My whole intent is to inspire fun and whimsy in the woods. To learn and grow and be confident. You GOT IT!!! I am no expert on anything but the willingness to just go and do it and have a hands on tactile experience is what it is all about.
    Thank you for watching my fun.
    So happy you are hanging and re-acquainting yourself with the kid we all have running around in our mature souls.
    Have a cuppa and a Crunchie for me and enjoy the hammock learning process.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Hi Ian -a big Yorkshire welcome from me.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Hi Ian.
    Welcome to HF!

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    A Doss Bag
    Suspension
    Say what!! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That is the nicest comment that I have ever read about me ... the Shugmeister of the third person speak!
    My whole intent is to inspire fun and whimsy in the woods. To learn and grow and be confident. You GOT IT!!! I am no expert on anything but the willingness to just go and do it and have a hands on tactile experience is what it is all about.
    Thank you for watching my fun.
    So happy you are hanging and re-acquainting yourself with the kid we all have running around in our mature souls.
    Have a cuppa and a Crunchie for me and enjoy the hammock learning process.
    Shug
    Ohhh Shug...it is a privilege indeed to hear from you. Im blown away, honestly. You have no idea of the level of inspiration you give and i truly that you for that. I literally knew nothing whatsoever about hammocks and now, two weeks later i have one and a tarp and now im desperately trying to work out a new backpacking configuration and get the kitchen sink down to baby faucet size. Im having so much fun doing it and learning things and sourcing new equipment you would`nt believe!. Once again, million thanks my friend, and for the kind words. Pleaseee keep on with the you tubes. I roared laughing one day at the thought of you doing one Noel Coward style. It still cracks me up now thinking about it. Take good care Shug, and yeah, I`ll go get that cuppa and bust out that Crunchie now. Kind Regards Ian.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast