Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    The rating would change if inferior products were used for the suspension.

A hammock without a suspension is called a blanket.
    Im not in agreeance here. The rating of the system would change but not that of the hammock. As to a hammock without suspension? Come on over and Ill bet you a shiny new tarp that I can hang a hammock without straps or whoopies. Ill use nothing but the cord that cinches the end of my hammock. No suspension needed. No you cant argue that that cord is a suspension it is an integrated part of the hammock itself.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    My guess: the 400# for the hammock is nothing but an empirically derived WAG, anyhow.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Im not in agreeance here. The rating of the system would change but not that of the hammock. As to a hammock without suspension? Come on over and Ill bet you a shiny new tarp that I can hang a hammock without straps or whoopies. Ill use nothing but the cord that cinches the end of my hammock. No suspension needed. No you cant argue that that cord is a suspension it is an integrated part of the hammock itself.
    Ladies! Play nice!!!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    3x4m & 6x8m silnyl
    Insulation
    An hotel suite
    Suspension
    Gripper Drippers
    Images

Hammock Physics 101

There's a neat page here of that title, which reiterates that the tension (T) in each suspension line of the hammock is equal to the user's weight (W) divided by 2*sin(dip angle) of the end of the hammock. For a 30° angle the tension in each end of the suspension is about equal to the user's weight. A 150 pound person, on a 30° slung hammock will pull each end with 150 pounds of force.

Here's the rub. If you cinch it up to a shallow 15° angle, then the pull on each line doubles to about 300 pounds. When you cinch the hammock up to 1° you pull each end of the hammock with over 4,200 pounds of force, which is too much. When you attempt to pull the hammock to a flat angle it breaks with nobody onboard.

Remember trig class? The side opposite the 30° angle is half the hypotenuse. If your hammock is 3m long with another meter of suspension rope on each end, that's 2.5m each way from the center (where your weight is presumed to be concentrated), so if you're 1.25m down in the center the dip angle will then be the magic 30°. This is where hammocks are designed to operate, I'm told, and where they will hold the advertised weights. I love trig. "Where the dip equals half the run is where it's fun." (my mnemonic).
    This is the really excellent graphic by "knotty" --
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...searchid=48095
    "Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
    -- Michaelangelo

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Ladies! Play nice!!!
    I always play nice with G. He could eat me. Rally have you seen the guy. I have no fear of Gargoyle but I do have a healthy respect for the fact that he could pummel me into a pulp. Really I am no match for his wit but I figure if I can find a loop hole I have to exploit it. All in good fun.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A cord is a suspension. No matter where or how its attached to the hammock.

And yes I could tie the fabric directly to the tree/supports and trump your cord idea.

MY point was IF you change out the SUSPENSION.

No, it does not change the physical properties of the fabric.

Gargoyles do not play nice with others
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post

Gargoyles do not play nice with others
    Ok this makes me laugh. For anyone who has never met this guy. You are missing out. Good luck finding a better guy who would do more to help you if you needed it. Shoot he will go out of his way to help you even if you dont need it. Ok enough mushy stuff. Hope I didnt damage your rep to much. Next time Ill paint you as an ogre wannabe.
    Pete.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12