Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Cool A realistic look at suspension weights

Disclaimer: The subject matter you're about to read is taken from my own systems and observations. I am not trying to condemn or advocate one system over another. I was just simply curious as to what I was really saving in weight between the two different systems I have. I am not going to discuss preferences, likes, dislike, fiddle factors or any of the like, I am just simply giving you what I came up within my "research"

I did not have commercially available whoopie slings so I am going off the weight of my DIY ones. They are 6ft when fully extended (Hence I call them 6ft whoopie slings) and took about 14ft of 7/64 amsteal grey to make, each.

I just use the loops that the suspension comes with, to affix them to the trees, but I will put in the weight of Dutch Clips in the end for comparison purposes.

My scale is accurate to +/-.02 grams

A (set) means two...which is what one needs to suspend their hammock from the trees.

Test 1: Stock Warbonnet Suspension

WB 12ft Tree Straps 5 1/4oz....148grams (set)

WB Triangle ring things (amsteal loops still attached) 1oz....30grams (set)

WB total weight of items: 6 1/4oz....178 grams

***This is what it would take to hang your hammock and what Brandon provides when you buy a hammock from him ***

Test 2: DIY Whoopie/Strap Suspension

6ft Tree Straps 3 3/8oz....94grams (set) (I just took some spare WB straps and cut them down)

DIY 6ft Whoopies 1 1/2 oz....44grams (set)

Dutch Buckles (in place of marlin spikes/toggles) 5/8oz...16grams (set)

DIY Total weight of items 4 5/8oz....130grams

Difference between the two systems: 1 5/8oz....48grams

Dutch Clip weight would add an extra: 7/8oz....26grams (set) to each system if you wanted to use them in place of above said suspension system.

***Side note***My tree straps I got with a new hammock I just received in the mail (review coming soon) comes with 6ft6in poly straps and they weigh 3 1/8oz....88grams....The hammock came with 6ft whoopies as well, but they are attached to the hammock itself. ****

So there ya go, that's the results/facts from my laboratory. And I hope you get the point I am trying to make....by not making a point one way or the other. YMMV
    Last edited by mugs; 01-14-2012 at 02:03.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

I have both woopi slings and tree straps. I find the straps to my JRB bridge to be just too easy and easily override any weight savings from the woopi slings. However the packabilty , not the weight, of woopi slings is what I think makes them great. Very low volume and easy to get in a tight stuff sack.
    Last edited by cfi on the fly; 01-14-2012 at 21:19.

Maybe someone can tell me the weight difference between the wb tree straps{straps with buckles} ,and woopies with lets say 6' tree huggers.I'm thinking of changing if there is enough weight saving.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjjones View Post
    Maybe someone can tell me the weight difference between the wb tree straps{straps with buckles} ,and woopies with lets say 6' tree huggers.I'm thinking of changing if there is enough weight saving.
    I think that is exactly what Mugs did in the first post

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    I will try to get a weight on my Dynaglide Whoopies (6 ft). That should save some more weight and they less pack volume than Amsteel.
    Where the heck is my scale!
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I think that is exactly what Mugs did in the first post
    Yep...at least one person was reading

I didn't post this up to advocate one side or the other....I was just curious as what the difference was, because I was like "I wonder how much weight I gained by having to add the Dutch Buckles and what not. Seems like they would augment the stock stuff"

OK I will let the cat out of the bag...I was/am sort of getting tired of adjusting whoopies once they have been tensioned (especially having to loosen them) or adjust them when my hammock has all its gear in and on it. And it always seems like my whoopies are shortened to as small as they can get and my hammock still isn't laying correctly (buying the Dutch buckles greatly helped with this issue.) So I was, well how much is the stock suspension weigh VS what I have now, because I am thinking about going back to it.

I will admit that yes the tree straps are way more bulky then the whoopies. But that doesn't bother me, because I have them in a separate zip lock bag so they don't get pitch on my hammock, so I can place them wherever. But I have yet not been able to get them into the same stuff sack as the hammock.

Ok I have said enough
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Never mind

• + New Posts