Darts to bring up the sides

I'm playing around with adding 2 - 4, 3-4inch darts where the tie outs go for an asym hammock. This would effectively take up some of the slack in the edges of the hammock and add some reinforcement to the area where the tie outs would go.

Images
    are you making a hh style? don't think it would add any strength, but would definately shorten the edge length. i think your 2-4, 3-4" estimation may be a little much though. experiment by using a net free hammock and clamping off material with some plastic clamps from home depot. this way you can unclamp and try different amounts before you do any sewing...Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by spchtr View Post
    I'm playing around with adding 2 - 4, 3-4inch darts where the tie outs go for an asym hammock. This would effectively take up some of the slack in the edges of the hammock and add some reinforcement to the area where the tie outs would go.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I may be worth try. Be sure to post some pics if you attempt this.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I'm still very skeptical of cutting the edges of a hammock in any fashion...especially a cut going toward the centerline. Just screams catastrophic failure to me.

What's wrong with pulling the edges during whipping as Jeff suggests on his site? It's worked fine for me.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

nah, I won't be cutting anything. I'll be folding it back on itself like an inch or so in a kind of Z shape. The size of the dart will end up being a triangle about 1inch wide and 3-4 inches long. Because there will be 3 layers of material there I was thinking it would act similar to a reinforcement patch for the tieout. It will also act to create a corner/cup sort of thing, bringing the edge up a little, reducing flap a bit. I was also going to use stitching similar to what is used on the blackcat/maccat tieout reinforcements to help strengthen the dart a bit.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Oh OK...I thought you were going to cut the darts out.

It'll be interesting if it works...I'm still a bit wary though. Even without cutting, the stitching through the darts will likely have quite a bit of wear/tension on it. I guess I'm just paranoid about doing anything at all in the body of a hammock.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Yeah, I'm a little wary of doing something in the main body where I'm going to be laying, but along the edges it only really takes alot of stress when you're getting in or out. If I put a hennesy slit up the middle though, making it a bottom loader that won't be an issue. Besides I'm putting the darts in because there's so much slack at that point and to give the tieouts something better to attach to, so I figure they'll only really be taking the stress of the bungee I'm going to be using to tie them out with. I don't intend on pulling them tight at all, and it's only got to support the weight of the material it's pulling to the side.

I'm also thinking about using 2 tieouts per side in such a way that I can use it as an asym in either direction. I'm also thinking about looping the bungee from one tieout to the other, running through a loop on a guyline so that if I want to change the diagonal that I'm laying at I can while still in the hammock without adjusting the tieouts. I'm a side sleeper, and periodically switch which side I sleep on. It'll also let me take advantage of different positions for different views from the hammock.

I'm not sure exactly what shape I'm going to have to make the bugnet if I do it this way though.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spchtr View Post
    Yeah, I'm a little wary of doing something in the main body where I'm going to be laying, but along the edges it only really takes alot of stress when you're getting in or out. If I put a hennesy slit up the middle though, making it a bottom loader that won't be an issue. Besides I'm putting the darts in because there's so much slack at that point and to give the tieouts something better to attach to, so I figure they'll only really be taking the stress of the bungee I'm going to be using to tie them out with. I don't intend on pulling them tight at all, and it's only got to support the weight of the material it's pulling to the side.

I'm also thinking about using 2 tieouts per side in such a way that I can use it as an asym in either direction. I'm also thinking about looping the bungee from one tieout to the other, running through a loop on a guyline so that if I want to change the diagonal that I'm laying at I can while still in the hammock without adjusting the tieouts. I'm a side sleeper, and periodically switch which side I sleep on. It'll also let me take advantage of different positions for different views from the hammock.

I'm not sure exactly what shape I'm going to have to make the bugnet if I do it this way though.
    Sounds like you've got a good plan...I definitely agree that the darts shouldn't be too much of an issue if you're going to make it a bottom loader. The bugnet really isn't that big of a problem (I don't think); just get the hammock done, get someone to lay in it, drape some netting over the top, and trace out the shape. I think it's the best way to go to get a good fit - I'll be doing that if/when I make a HH clone or another top cover for my ULB.

Definitely post pics when you're done!

• + New Posts