Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use the same system to set up my MacCat, only in a very light version, that I do for my hammock. I use Spectra cord for the tie outs from the ridge. One or two wraps around the tree and clip with a micro carabiner. Then center and tension the tarp with line runners (locs) on the tarp end of the line. Time to set up is well under a minute.

Last edited by Quoddy; 08-18-2009 at 16:38.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I don't do it yet but Tiredfeet's way is the way I plan to go in the future. It makes centering the tarp a breeze.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    I think it only works when you are using a ridgeLINE not a ridgetie.
    Nope, I only use ridge ties too.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    The type or make of the tarp has nothing to do with using a full ridge line cord. It can be used on all tarps and makes hanging them much, much easier.
    I know it can be used on all, but why do you think it makes it easier? And hows the weight penalty for carrying that extra rope?

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    I know it can be used on all, but why do you think it makes it easier? And hows the weight penalty for carrying that extra rope?
    Simple 3 step setup:

1. run the rope from tree to tree at the desired height. I leave the 2 prussics on the rope all the time, but if you don't, simply tie the 2 prussics at this time.
    2. Attach one tarp ridge tie out to one prussic, attach second tarp ridge tie out to second Prussic. I use small sticks as toggles to attach the tarp tie outs to the prussics. Pull stick/toggle to undo - simple and I don't carry any extra weight for the toggle.
    3. Slide prussics to position tarp and tighten tarp ridge.

No more adjusting guy line cords on each end trying to get tarp into desired position - simply slide the prussics to do that.

No more trying to hold the tarp while tying the second ridge tie out to the second tree.

As far as the "extra" weight?

Lets see, using my Lash-It guy line cord for the ridge line cord, that's all of 30' of cord at 0.0192 oz per foot, or 0.576 oz. If you have 10' of guy line cord on each ridge tie out to tie to each tree, then you have 10' extra or 0.192 oz. Now, for the prussics, I use more of the Lash-It and instead of 3 wrap prussics, I use 5 wrap prussics and they hold very well. The "extra" weight of the prussic cord? Probably 1' of cord or 0.0192 oz.

You could splurge and carry 50' of the guy line cord, or 30' more than using separate cords on each end, and carry an extra weight of 0.576 oz.

Guy line cord is just soooooo heavy.

But then the convenience and ease of set-up is worth maybe another 0.6 oz or less.

Also, if you use the small metal figure 9s for securing your tarp ridge tie outs, you have 2. For the cord ridge line I only need 1. I have a small bowline permanently tied on one end of the ridge line cord. Pick up small stick, wrap cord around tree and secure back on cord using stick through bowline as a toggle. Wrap second tree and use small figure 9 to pull tight and secure. So, if you use the figure 9s, you can drop one of the figure 9s and offset some of the weight of that heavy guy line cord.

If you don't use figure 9s, then use the Siberian hitch or a trucker's hitch or buntline hitch or whatever your favorite hitch is to pull tight and secure to the second tree.

Try it - it sure beats struggling with separate cords on each end and adjusting each to position the tarp and pull the ridge tight. This is especially true when it is windy out and you have to manage a tarp which is now a sail and flapping around.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Hey TiredFeet--
    I'm a fan of the tarp ridgeline too for the reasons you point out.

Was curious though...you're using LashIt (wonderful stuff) for the ridgeline, and a prussik actually holds on that? Man that stuff is slippery, and has a tiny diameter. Your prussiks are made of the same stuff (hence same diameter?)

I thought I tried that once, but, .... , a memory is a terrible thing to lose ...

Grizz

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Hey TiredFeet--
    I'm a fan of the tarp ridgeline too for the reasons you point out.

Was curious though...you're using LashIt (wonderful stuff) for the ridgeline, and a prussik actually holds on that? Man that stuff is slippery, and has a tiny diameter. Your prussiks are made of the same stuff (hence same diameter?)

I thought I tried that once, but, .... , a memory is a terrible thing to lose ...

Grizz
    Yeah - learned the full ridge line trick from TeeDee years back.

Yes - I was concerned about it also, but figured since it wasn't a life/death situation, what the heck.

TeeDee and I both use our 50' of emergency 3 mm for the ridge line with the usual guy line stuff for the prussics for long term hikes since we have that 50' along irregardless. For short term hikes we started using the Lash-It for both the ridge line and prussics since we didn't need to carry the 50' of emergency line.

Anyway, that Samthane coating on the Samson ropes is really nice stuff. We didn't bother with the usual 3 wrap prussics with Lash-It on Lash-It and went directly to 5 wrap. So maybe fewer would hold, don't really know.

Anyway, I guess the forces aren't great enough to slip the 5 wrap prussics, since we haven't had any problems.

The only problem we have with the 1.75 mm Lash-It is getting the small metal figure 9 to hold. I think there is a way to push and twist the bight through the hole on the figure 9 for it to hold consistently, but we haven't bothered to investigate it. Instead we found it simpler to use a third 5 wrap prussic using the prussic loop to hold the figure 9. The prussic then lets us slip the figure 9 along the ridge line to the best place for its use.

We've switched the use of the figure 9 on the 3 mm emergency/ridge line rope to do this also, since it is so much more convenient than trying to inch the figure 9 along the rope using the usual method of attaching the figure 9 to the rope. We both threw the 50' Lash-It ridge lines in our long term packs also, what the heck, another ounce gets lost in the 50 lbs there.

Memory ... memory ... yeah I think I used to have one of those .... or maybe it was only half. Dunno can't remember anymore. I think it was something about three things being lost .

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    We didn't bother with the usual 3 wrap prussics with Lash-It on Lash-It and went directly to 5 wrap. So maybe fewer would hold, don't really know.
    Something else I've done with that knot is to put in a Klemheist there.

The only problem we have with the 1.75 mm Lash-It is getting the small metal figure 9 to hold. I think there is a way to push and twist the bight through the hole on the figure 9 for it to hold consistently, but we haven't bothered to investigate it. Instead we found it simpler to use a third 5 wrap prussic using the prussic loop to hold the figure 9. The prussic then lets us slip the figure 9 along the ridge line to the best place for its use.
    been there and done that too for the same reason. I use the same technique to plunk a D-ring on the line rather than a Fig-9. Then to tie off the cord I go through the ring once, put in a slippery half hitch, and then another slippery half hitch through the bight.

We both threw the 50' Lash-It ridge lines in our long term packs also, what the heck, another ounce gets lost in the 50 lbs there .
    now isn't there the tiniest bit of inconsistency here with you all counting fractions of ounces over different ways of replacing tree webbing with sticks, and those 50 pound packs
    (but I am well familar with this compulsion to figure out how to do a thing optimally, all too familar....)

Memory ... memory ... yeah I think I used to have one of those .... or maybe it was only half. Dunno can't remember anymore. I think it was something about three things being lost .
    Was it three? I thought it was, or never mind.

Griz , or maybe it's Grizzzz, wait a minute, I'll get it, Frizz

Images
    i like a slipped buntline on one end and then a truckers tied off with a couple slipped half hitches on the other

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah Gear
    Insulation
    Warbonnet 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Two half hitches on the first tree, then a trucker's hitch on the second. That way, I can pull the ridge line really tight. To secure the trucker's hitch, I tie what I call a taut line hitch "on a bight".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast