Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Illustration - DIY Sew-'em-Up PLUQ (Poncho Liner Under Quilt)

After messing around with the no-sew DIY poncho liner under quilt (PLUQ), I decided to finally sew it up for good. The problem with the no-sew version was that it often got tangled up with all the extra tie-offs. I've now sewn up a few PLUQ and have had great success in adding extra insulation to the mix.

Pleats, Darts, or Shock Cord?

This project isn't terribly difficult with moderate sewing skills. The most challenging thing is sewing the darts, or pleats, to gather the ends, but this step can be skipped if instead you run shock cord through the end channels and use a cord lock to cinch up the ends. I have a version that does this, but I found that the material and batting in the poncho liner makes the ends a little stiff and difficult to gather. Using darts/pleats have worked very well, but it doesn't allow you to modify the enclosure in the field.

Using pleats instead of darts allowed the fabric to billow and provide a little more area for insulation.

Differential Baffles?

You can get as fancy or as simple as you want. On one PLUQ, I didn't fold the material exactly in half, making the side touching the hammock shorter than the outside, thus creating a baffle where I sewed in some extra insulation. This created an air pocket between the layers of insulation. This wasn't any more difficult to sew, but it did take a little extra planning.

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dejoha; 06-13-2010 at 12:29. Reason: Added link to the no-sew DIY version

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Web strap
    Thanks for the instructions and pic's i am going to try it. is there anything you would change it you had to do it over?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice job dejoha. Thanks for the excellent visuals.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Thanks for the PLUQ instructions. I recent acquired two poncho liners from a friend who was cleaning out his garage. When I get a free afternoon or evening I will be giving this a try. Because you can never have too much gear!

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Well, I'll be danged!!! I've spent hours thinking how to do this to my poncho liner(vintage Marine Corp), and here it is all simplified! Thanks! Me thinks that I'll trim mine in Coyote grossgrain from Rockywoods.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    HH Exploder
    Tarp
    Stock / hex
    Insulation
    UQ/pad
    Suspension
    DIY woopies&straps
    Great Idea, the poncho liners are some of the warmest-weight things out there.

I will definitely trying this out when I start trying some cold weather hanging!
    DAVE.

The further you go,
    the longer it takes to get back.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Webbing + Whoopies
    I've been using the poncho liner for my hangs thanks to your original drawing and it has been working out great. One question here. Without it sewn up, I have the option of sticking in more insulation this fall. What would happen structurally, if you left the side un-sewn for access later?
    “the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth" - Chief Seattle

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Fantastic! Now where can I get some cheap poncho liners? Sound like an inexpensive way for me to make UQ's for my kids!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    I've been using the poncho liner for my hangs thanks to your original drawing and it has been working out great. One question here. Without it sewn up, I have the option of sticking in more insulation this fall. What would happen structurally, if you left the side un-sewn for access later?
    I had considered that too when I first made them. As long as the additional insulation wasn't too heavy and was dispersed evenly, and your shock cord is strong enough, it would be fine. You could sew up the two shorter ends with shock cord to gather the ends and leave the one side open for modular insulation.

One addition I made on my sewn-up version was tie-outs on the center so I could attach some shock cord across the top of the hammock for additional support, if necessary. So far, I haven't needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Fantastic! Now where can I get some cheap poncho liners? Sound like an inexpensive way for me to make UQ's for my kids!
    That's what I'm making mine for -- the kids. They can take a beating and I'm not too concerned. I got my poncho liners for $10-$15 from our local Army/Navy Surplus Store. They have a huge box full of poncho liners, some brand-new (apparently) and some obviously with some use. I scavenged out the best I could find--some were so crisp that they were in all respects brand new. Not a bad deal!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSHADOW View Post
    Great Idea, the poncho liners are some of the warmest-weight things out there.

I will definitely trying this out when I start trying some cold weather hanging!
    A note about cold-weather hanging with the PLUQ.

I am still playing with the PLUQ in colder temps, this last weekend being the most recent. Here in the high desert, we've been getting some low overnight temperatures in June. Sunday was 34°F! I was feeling pretty good at 45°F, but as it dropped to 40°F I started to cool. I was wearing shorts, socks, a t-shirt, and a long-sleeve fleece shirt. This was my new sewn-up PLUQ with one layer of Insultex sandwiched in the middle. On top was my deliciously warm Stormcrow Burrow top quilt.

My rabid gram weenie wants to see better results from the Insultex, and I was marginally upset that it didn't help as much -- maybe 5 or 10 degrees of warmth.

The optimist in me wants to try again with more layers of Insultex and a better baffle sew job. But, with just the PLUQ alone, it seems to be a strong performer in 50°F±.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast