Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Has minus 27 record been broken?

There has been some serious winter hanging this year, and there is still plenty of time for more.

But, just wondering-- just for fun-- what is the current (known) low temp record? Of course, there is much more to it than just temp. Wind, snow(and at lessor but still challenging temps, rain/snow/sleet/humidity). These things can be the end of you without even having below zero temps. Still, what temps have been the max? And maybe as a secondary question, what has been your most challenging hanging conditions all things considered? (EDIT: wind chill can be a real killer, a separate factor from official record lows. But probably even more deadly as it might even blow your tarp down)

I remember a couple of years ago or so, Shug(with down UQs and pads?) and kwpapke with a way augmented HHSS did either minus 26 or 27.

Has any one beat, or matched, that yet? If not, I bet some one will this winter. I'm sure this year some one has already been very close

I'll start just for laughs, as I have not been out of the deep and non-mountainous south for hammock hangs, at least not in winter:
    My personal record is +10 on 2 different occasions. First with a 20F Speer Pea Pod over a Speer 8.5, space blanket on inside bottom, and a summer weight TQ on top in the pod, plus some warm clothing. Did fine. Just OK, not particularly warm, but not cold. Actually warm for the last couple of hours after I closed the pod all the way. No noticeable condensation except occasional- when on my back with a good size vent right over my face- my breath would freeze and fall back into the vent onto my face, sometimes waking me up.

The other time with a JRB MW4 and nothing else under a BMBH, on top fair amount of warm clothing inside of a Golight ultra 20 TQ, and a cap, neck gator and jacket hood. Just fine most of the night, but barely warm enough by about 0400 or so. Had a ton of condensation around the neck area of the TQ. Changed to a 5F hooded Polarguard bag and was toasty warm until get up time.

How about you other guys- what is your record, and what is THE record?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-24-2011 at 09:19.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    So far I'm at 1.6F
    Traver wrapped in a 20F Wallcreeper
    wrapped in a SuperPod (normal Speer PeaPod with 6 ounces of 900FP overfill).
    Wearing Nunatak down pants and a Western Mountaineering Flash on the bod.
    Feet got Exped Down Socks.
    Head had neoprene face mask and JRB down hood.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I believe Turk has hit in the -40s with wind chill. That's some serious winter hanging.

Images
    -2F is my record. Done just a few weeks ago from the backyard.

wbbb 1.1 double, UQ Winter Phoenix, Western Mtn +5F SB, BBO top cover, No tarp, REI blowup seat in foot box.

Heavy wool socks, Cabelas silk longjohns and LS shirt, polypro sweatpants, 100W micro fleece LS top, Silk balaclava, 200W micorfleece balaclava, smartwood gloveliners

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    We're heading for -10F here tonight, but I think folks in New England will have a chance to break that -27F record in the next two weeks. The long range weather models have two separate systems coming through New England that will bring vicious cold. Right now, one of the storms is forecast to bring lows approaching -35F to VT and NH on the night of the 7th and 8th, but that's an awful long way off.

I had hoped to do some winter hanging this year with my own gear, but I'm not sure I'll have a proper setup in time. On nights like this, I'm not quite so heart broken about that fact

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    My record low was 8F, and it's -8 F in Rochester right now and it's only just past midnight (supposed to be -25 with windchill)! While I would love to be outside tonight, I'm going to stick to my 50 deg bedroom and the same 3.5" inches of down I would have had outside...
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images

-28,5f (-33,6c)

Check my new signature!
    Not on a "real" trip though, made it in my backyard but slept as a child for 6,5h, from 11 in the evening until 5,30 in the morning. Had to get up then to produce some yellow snow and the hammock didnīt seem like a nice place to continue the morning. Went inside instead to make a fire for my family whom had slept indoors.

Sadly I didnīt film anything.......

At least I have a picture of my thermometer:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...p?i=12158&c=14
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    It was in the neg 30's this past weekend up in the Adirondacks. Let's wait till the group that went out at the last minute returns.

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Various weather sites had the weather last night in Lake Clear ranging from -32 to -36, but our thermometer in the campsite read -30 as the minimum temp. for the night...it was really cold!

Festus will post pics later, but he rocked his hammock last night and lived to tell the tale!

(I had more confidence in my tent-camping game for those temps, so I didn't hang last night)

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    The best I've done is -30*F. I did that with a Exped 650 dreamwalker LG, Featherd Freinds winter Wren, Exped 7DX DAM mat and wearing an Woods down parka.

I've always used a DIY peapod type system.

That was 4 years ago and didn't know as much as I do now.
    Have better system now.

D. Kevilus

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast