OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images

Cumberland Island National Seashore *Added Pics*

Cumberland Island 2011 Photos

This was my second visit to the island. I loved it so much the first time, I gathered a couple of my hiking buddies for this trip to introduce them to the island.

We drove down to Kingsland, GA from NC (6 hours) after work on Thursday night. Got a room at a Best Western about midnight and got some sleep.

Woke up Friday morning and caught the 9:15 ferry to the island. It's about a 45 minute ride to the island, but there is alot to see on the way. We saw a huge Stingray leap out of the water. I hadn't ever seen that before!

Arrived at the Rangers cabin at 10 and attended the orientation. Luckily, I was first on the reservation list, so I got first pick at the campsites I wanted. I had heard the bugs were really horrible at Brickhill, so I decided to pick the sites in a way that we could turn our hike into a loop. We would stay at Yankeee Paradise (7.5 from dock) the first night, then hike to Stafford Beach the second night. That would also put us only 3.5 miles from the dock on Sunday morning... we didn't want to hike 7 miles on the last day!

We left on our hike going between the main road and paralell trail just for the heck of it. Ate lunch on the trail, then arrived at the Yankee Paradise site. There was a nice cluster of 6 or 7 pine trees at the site perfect for hanging. All 3 of us hung in the cluster of pines, only feet apart. As we were relaxing from the 9 mile hike (should have been 7.5 but we kept taking the scenic routes) a group of scouts stopped through our camp for a quick rest on their way to Brickhill. We chatted a bit about hammocks and they went on their way. We ate dinner and slept pretty good. I took a hammock sock and my down bag as temperatures weren't supposed to be lower than 65 at night. I have done that before without a UQ before so no issues, I thought I was cool. I woke up about 4 am shivering like a wet rat! I looked at my thermometer and it was in the low 50's... you could see your breath! I put all of my extra clothes in the hammock, put on my Bugnet and sock at the same time and managed to warm up. Still, I gotta admit it was a silly mistake and I paid a penalty for it.

We got up about 7 on Saturday morning and walked the 4 miles to Hickory Hill and Stafford beach sites. I gotta admit that the hickory hill site looked like a good spot to hang also. We setup at Stafford, then spent the rest of the day napping, reading, and hanging out on the beach. The group of scouts we saw on the way to brickhill the day before showed up at Stafford just after we arrived. I asked why they left Brickhill after they had told me they were staying all weekend and they said the noseeums and skeeters were so bad they were all miserable and they had actually considered hiking back to Stafford in the middle of the night!! He said the noseeums were getting in the tents even with everything cinched up tight. I'm glad we heeded the warnings. Saturday night was one of the best nights sleeps I have ever gotten in a hammock. I could hear the ocean all night, it was clear, and the breeze was just cool enough to feel like air conditioning, but not too cold.

We woke up on Sunday morning to another beautiful day. Hiked to the dock, and headed home. It was a very nice and a pleasantly uneventful trip. It went extremely smooth except for the one night of getting cold, and I got a blister, but wrapped it, and worked through it.

We saw 3 or 4 snakes. Couldn't tell what kind. We saw horses, hawks, treefrogs, lizards, dolphins, stingrays, fiddler crabs, and fearless birds.

Ticks, skeeters, flies, and noseeums were pretty aggravating. They weren't unbearable anywhere we went, but they were always present. Bug spray took care of them for the most part. I didn't get one tick off of me that was stuck. Only a few crawling.

We took enough water into the wilderness area so we didn't have to filter until we got back to Stafford Beach, where we filtered everything we used.

We ended up walking a total of about 17 miles. They are easy, flat miles.

I definitely recommend this trip. The rangers and staff are all great and very accommodating. There is nothing like laying on an empty beach alone at night, watching the stars.

I have a ton of pics I am still sorting through but will put them up and bump this post later today.

Here are the pictures. I put them on my own site because it was too many to upload here.

Last edited by eflat7; 05-05-2011 at 08:15.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    That's a paddle/camp trip I have had on my list for a while! How long did it take you to get a reservation? I hear it's backed up for a year.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the report! I'm looking forward to the pictures. My daughters are still talking about the trip we took there recently and they would love to go back.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I really like Cumberland. And Yankee is a fine hammock spot. I'm surprised there were bugs up at Brickhill. My buddies stayed there in Jan the day before we got there and it was crazy windy. Maybe it wasn't like that this weekend.

Did you check out Plum Orchard? We got a very nice tour of the mansion by a volunteer that had just started living there.

ld, I'd love to do a paddle over there. I was actually going to do it last August but I'd have to shorten the trip. Not sure my arms could carry me that far. And I didn't have any problem at all getting reservations. Of course it's probably not a hotspot in Jan.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    That's a paddle/camp trip I have had on my list for a while! How long did it take you to get a reservation? I hear it's backed up for a year.
    I asked for the reservation in Feb and they confirmed the opening in Apr. Not too bad. Gets easier in the summer months because of the bugs and heat I hear.
    Last edited by eflat7; 05-02-2011 at 10:52.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Thanks for the report! I'm looking forward to the pictures. My daughters are still talking about the trip we took there recently and they would love to go back.
    Will do it tonight for sure.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I really like Cumberland. And Yankee is a fine hammock spot. I'm surprised there were bugs up at Brickhill. My buddies stayed there in Jan the day before we got there and it was crazy windy. Maybe it wasn't like that this weekend.

Did you check out Plum Orchard? We got a very nice tour of the mansion by a volunteer that had just started living there.

ld, I'd love to do a paddle over there. I was actually going to do it last August but I'd have to shorten the trip. Not sure my arms could carry me that far. And I didn't have any problem at all getting reservations. Of course it's probably not a hotspot in Jan.
    Someone at the dock before we even got to the island said the bugs had been bad at BB.

We didn't do Plum Orchard, we were beat when we got to Yankee and ready to eat.

I would be there all the time if I didn't live so far away!

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Looking forward to hearing more in a couple weekends from now (Goat Island). My family made a side trek on our way back to SC from Jacksonville and we were tempted to hop the ferry and just take the ride over and back but time was an issue. Maybe getting some of the finer details might help us to make the decision to go for a family hang there in the near future.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just did this trip in April. Stayed at Brickhill first night. Thank goodness bugs were not too bad then. Day hiked the north end of the island the next day before hiking back to Yankee Paradise the second night. Hiked over to Plum Orchard where a group of scouts were camped due to a trail maintenance project arranged with the Forest Service. Hiked the beach the next day to Stafford Beach for the night and caught the ferry the next day. Like you I need a return trip I enjoyed this one so much.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Bumping because I edited and added link for the pictures.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast