Page 35 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    Images

I finished my ring-buckle supports today, and so far they are amazing. I used the anchor hitch knot so I wouldn't have to cut my HH's spectra, since I am still not sure I want to...I just folded the excess spectra and tied it down with a rubber band. Purple webbing means excellence

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miu View Post

I finished my ring-buckle supports today, and so far they are amazing. I used the anchor hitch knot so I wouldn't have to cut my HH's spectra, since I am still not sure I want to...I just folded the excess spectra and tied it down with a rubber band. Purple webbing means excellence

Yeah - I'm with you on not cutting - I've left it uncut on my ULBA and even used 10' on my Safari clone. I feel more comfortable with as many options for future use as possible. But then that's just me.

One suggestion - on that free end of webbing that's hanging down, use it and tie a half hitch around the webbing from the tree - an added safety margin that was suggested by stoikurt on the forums that was really great.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 05-17-2007 at 19:36.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Just a matter of time and that spectra will be snipped.
    Looking at a pic of the ring/buckles system is like looking at a work of art.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I hiked the Three Ridges a couple weeks ago, I set up my hammock Saturday night and then started making a new mod...and I had to take the hammock down. I had already cinched it very tight...which made the ring buckles hard to loosen. Next time I won't cinch them down quite so tight, just in case I need to take it down again that quickly.

So maybe it's kinda like the CC buckles in that regard...you can probably pull both tight enough to hold well but not so tight that it's tough to undo.

Even so, I like the ring buckles b/c everything stays connected and it's a quicker set up.

Great looking purple buckle system!

And just to be clear about my webpage - it's just a collection of my opinions on projects and things I've tested or read about, based on what works for my hiking/hanging style. Please don't take it out of that context or think I'm discouraging any other projects or experimentation.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 05-17-2007 at 22:06.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Even so, I like the ring buckles b/c everything stays connected and it's a quicker set up.
    Just wondering - how so? I don't see any difference in connection or speed between the CC setup and the rings...maybe if you're using biners (I'm not), but I could add biners to my setup the same way as with the ring system...?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hrm...I'm not blond but I was having a moment. It's quicker mainly b/c I was thinking of the biner with the rings and not with the buckles. The rings are still probably .47 seconds quicker to tighten and loosen, if that's important to you.

But good catch...guess I'll update the page sometime after TD.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Hrm...I'm not blond but I was having a moment. It's quicker mainly b/c I was thinking of the biner with the rings and not with the buckles. The rings are still probably .47 seconds quicker to tighten and loosen, if that's important to you.

But good catch...guess I'll update the page sometime after TD.
    Oh ok...no biggie, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the one having a brain fart
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images

Be sure to put a loose knot in the webbing after the rings when you set it up. This is more of a just in case measure, but you don't want it to slip in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Here's my take on the ring suspension. I have to give credit to my friend, Tango61, for the sewing. He did a nice job.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=880&c=4
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=879&c=4

I'll actually get to use it for the first time tonight
    Peace,
    Joe

Images
    See, purple webbing is taking over the world.

And thanks for the suggestions about putting a knot after the rings, I will do that next time I put my hammock up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast