Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Backyard hang

So, here's my bedroom for the night. Explorer Deluxe with HHSS, additional OCF pad, and radiant bubble pad underneath. Over top I have a really old -20C bag I'll be inside, as well as a -7C bag used as a topquilt. Monsoon Tarp covering everything. I actually received the overcover today, but it's too warm and damp out for it I think, so I'll be trying without it. Temp is sitting at -3C tonight, so I'll let everyone know how it went tomorrow. My previous coldest hand was 2C in May.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Was wondering just how cold steel could get before becoming brittle and then remembered to do my C to F conversion. Still colder than I normally see down here. Enjoy the hang.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Didn't end up being too enjoyable. I abandoned the hammock at 12:20 due to severe overheating and an uncomfortable hammock. I think the hammock has to be tightened. I had a few hard ridges running down the middle and my head was pushed up quite a bit. I've never experienced that in my hammock before. I'll fiddle with it tonight after work and give it another try. Forecast for tonight is -8C, so hopefully that will help with the overheating as well as readjusting the layers. I can't really remove any more clothes or I'll be sleeping in my birthday suit. That might cause issues with the neighbours.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I was down to -8c/18f in an old down top quilt 40* shamu, ccf, pad and a sock... Had my jacket zipped over my foot end of hammock... And I slept in cotton pants and t shirt... I was comfortable... I'm thinking you could ditch sleeping inside the bag and use it as a top quilt, give more venting options to me, but hang your own hang...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I ended up ditching the neck warmer, fleece sweater, and the top sleeping bag. Tonight I'll try the top sleeping bag and keep the other one stashed at my feet as a back up.
    It WAS very nice listening to the snow coming down last night. I just couldn't get comfortable or cool.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Didn't end up being too enjoyable. I abandoned the hammock at 12:20 due to severe overheating and an uncomfortable hammock. I think the hammock has to be tightened. I had a few hard ridges running down the middle and my head was pushed up quite a bit. I've never experienced that in my hammock before. I'll fiddle with it tonight after work and give it another try. Forecast for tonight is -8C, so hopefully that will help with the overheating as well as readjusting the layers. I can't really remove any more clothes or I'll be sleeping in my birthday suit. That might cause issues with the neighbours.
    I have the same problem with the ridges in my ENO dn. they are very uncomfortable. Anyone have any recommendations for preventing these ridges?

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    I have the same problem with the ridges in my ENO dn. they are very uncomfortable. Anyone have any recommendations for preventing these ridges?
    I started a thread about something like this here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=65935

I've tried raising my foot end of hammock and it helped, it seems like adjusting the ridgeline moved the "uncomfortable ridges" back and forth. Like the more sag I put in the hammock the ridge would move up towards my calf and soften some...hard to explain.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm pretty sure with my Hennessy it was because the hammock wasn't strung tight enough. My but was pretty close to the ground when I got out. When I set it up on the stand in the basement I was incredibly comfortable in it. There were no ridges at all.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    So, two nights ago I tightened up the hammock and gave it another go.
    Slept OK through the night. The neighbours were out in their backyard periodically smoking and drinking, so I was kept up until well after 1am.
    I Started the night with the -7C bag used as a TQ, but zipped myself into it after about 45 minutes due to a cool backside. Sometime in the night I pulled the -20 bag over me when I woke up cool. Slept pretty warm until I woke up for good around 6:30am. I still have a crink in my neck from the hammock. It was MUCH more comfortable, but it still wasn't strung tight enough. I'll have to make sure it's strung right next time I used the stand.
    Temp was actually a couple degrees warmer than the previous attempt that I overheated in, but it was raining (in January in Northwestern Ontario!) all night. I'm thinking the dampness may have been a factor. Today was the last day of rain, and we're now back to winter temps (it was +5C this morning, dropped to -9 during the day) so I'm going to try it again with some dryer and colder temps soon.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm curious...have you used the overcover yet? That's the one part of the whole thing I've not yet actually used...although I've got a hang here in a couple of weeks were it might come into play, weather dependent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast