SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

HH Deep Jungle

OK kids, Tom has been watching us.

He had his new hammocks on display at Trail Days. Ya'll know me, I see something new and I pretty much have to play with one. So, I picked up the Explorer model of the Deep Jungle. He has two "jungle" designs, each come in either the Expedition model or Explorer model. The other hammock is called "Deep Winter". The only difference is the outer layer (we'll get to that in a second) is made of sil.

Please forgive some of these pics. The camera I was using is on its death bed. So, here it is:

Looks pretty much like every other HH out there. The material is the Hyperlite fabric according to what TH told me.
    Probably the most anticipated portion of the new design is the addition of a zipper along the full length of one side. Sound familiar? The netting can be thrown over on the other side. Hard to show, but in the 3rd pic you can see a small tab attached to the netting and another on the netting on the other side where it meets fabric. So, you can 'secure' the netting when it's flipped over. However, I don't think it's very effective. It seems like it's an inch or so out of position. The section stretching from the head end is under a bit of tension when the hammock is unweighted. When you get it, it just 'pops'. Oh well.

Notice anything missing from this shot?

No entry slit! Still kind of weird when I think about it. I mean that's kind of the HH signature. I like it, but it's weird. It does however allow for the other change to the HH line; the double layer:

What you see is pretty much it. It is a very narrow slit to insert the pad. I haven't put a tape on it, but my guess is about 18". It is a full double layer, not just a pad sleeve. It seems odd to me that this would be the only insertion point and that it is so small. One of those design kinks to work out I guess.

I haven't really spent any time in it yet, so I'll reserve judgment on it for later. First impressions; good first try! The way the netting is secured needs some work and the pad entry slit should be able to accommodate larger pads. Otherwise, it feels just like every other HH I've tried; which is a few. The tie-outs are in the same position. I wish he'd move the foot tie-out closer to the foot, but I guess there is a reason. I also wish he'd do something about the fact that my head presses against the netting when I'm in the 'sweet spot'. I don't like the thought of mosquito bites on my forehead. The lack of an entry slit is just plain weird, but it doesn't change the feel of the hammock. I do very much like the fabric; very soft against the skin!

I'll give it a night in the next week or so, but I've no reason to believe it will be any different from any other HH. It does not come with a tarp or stuff sack. Trail Days price was $128, but the 'retail' price is above $200 (around $236 I think). If this is your brand, this is a hammock you are going to like. I give it one
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Are the other hammocks still being made or do us slit folks have to fear losing our BEEP? It is just so nice for the mobility impaired like me. Oh well....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No, he hasn't discontinued anything. Just added to the existing line. No worries.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    OK kids, Tom has been watching us.

He had his new hammocks on display at Trail Days. Ya'll know me, I see something new and I pretty much have to play with one. So, I picked up the Explorer model of the Deep Jungle. He has two "jungle" designs, each come in either the Expedition model or Explorer model. The other hammock is called "Deep Winter". The only difference is the outer layer (we'll get to that in a second) is made of sil.

Please forgive some of these pics. The camera I was using is on its death bed. So, here it is:

Looks pretty much like every other HH out there. The material is the Hyperlite fabric according to what TH told me.
    Probably the most anticipated portion of the new design is the addition of a zipper along the full length of one side. Sound familiar? The netting can be thrown over on the other side. Hard to show, but in the 3rd pic you can see a small tab attached to the netting and another on the netting on the other side where it meets fabric. So, you can 'secure' the netting when it's flipped over. However, I don't think it's very effective. It seems like it's an inch or so out of position. The section stretching from the head end is under a bit of tension when the hammock is unweighted. When you get it, it just 'pops'. Oh well.

Notice anything missing from this shot?

No entry slit! Still kind of weird when I think about it. I mean that's kind of the HH signature. I like it, but it's weird. It does however allow for the other change to the HH line; the double layer:

What you see is pretty much it. It is a very narrow slit to insert the pad. I haven't put a tape on it, but my guess is about 18". It is a full double layer, not just a pad sleeve. It seems odd to me that this would be the only insertion point and that it is so small. One of those design kinks to work out I guess.

I haven't really spent any time in it yet, so I'll reserve judgment on it for later. First impressions; good first try! The way the netting is secured needs some work and the pad entry slit should be able to accommodate larger pads. Otherwise, it feels just like every other HH I've tried; which is a few. The tie-outs are in the same position. I wish he'd move the foot tie-out closer to the foot, but I guess there is a reason. I also wish he'd do something about the fact that my head presses against the netting when I'm in the 'sweet spot'. I don't like the thought of mosquito bites on my forehead. The lack of an entry slit is just plain weird, but it doesn't change the feel of the hammock. I do very much like the fabric; very soft against the skin!

I'll give it a night in the next week or so, but I've no reason to believe it will be any different from any other HH. It does not come with a tarp or stuff sack. Trail Days price was $128, but the 'retail' price is above $200 (around $236 I think). If this is your brand, this is a hammock you are going to like. I give it one
    Okay so when do I get to see the other review huh ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The write-up is done I've just got no salvageable pics; stupid camera! I'll get a narrative up tomorrow; file is on my work PC.
    Trust nobody!

You had a chance to weigh it yet?

Images
    So you bought one at Trail Days?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes, even wrote it down. Now ask me if I can find it.

Just a hair over 2lbs; 33.5 ounces if I remember correctly. I dropped a couple of ounces by cutting the suspension line, then added a few more putting rings and webbing on. I haven't weighted it since I changed out the suspension.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So you bought one at Trail Days?
    Yep! It was an impulse.
    Trust nobody!

I think I'll just have my HH Expedition zipper modded by 2Q, but you got a lot of hammock for the money there. That hyperlite fabric has a really nice feel. I slept in my daughter's hyperlite two nites last week, not bad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast