PDA

View Full Version : Greylock Advice

HillbillyHanger
10-09-2014, 19:47
Put my new Greylock on my Lite Owl tonight for the first time. Standard shock cord length appears a little short for the 11' hammock. It fit and still had a little flex in the shock cord but I'd like to be able to have a little wiggle room. Other than rethreading a new piece of cord, any suggestions? Anyone else have to extend a partial quilt suspension on an 11' hammock?
Grey lock is an awesome quilt from my first impression. I added the shock cord Prussiks that Shut showed a couple of weeks ago. Thanks

Shug
10-09-2014, 20:40
Just add a foots length of shock cord to the Greylock....no need to unthread it from the UQ.
Shut

HillbillyHanger
10-09-2014, 20:47
Thanked Shug! Bout time to grab some potted meat and head to the woods.

cricky101
05-05-2015, 10:16
Bumping an old thread but have a similar question ...

My Greylock3 seems like the suspension is a little short for my Dutchware 11' hammock; it really lifts the empty hammock high when clipped on each end and the cord is pretty taught.

Shug mentioned above adding a foot of cord to the existing suspension. So does that mean to just tie a loop of shock cord (12") around one end of the existing suspension, and then clip the included caribiner to that and hang like usual? I don't think centering the quilt properly will be an issue with the channels and the prussiks (many thanks for that tip, Shug!).

BillyBob58
05-05-2015, 13:00
Bumping an old thread but have a similar question ...

My Greylock3 seems like the suspension is a little short for my Dutchware 11' hammock; it really lifts the empty hammock high when clipped on each end and the cord is pretty taught.

Shug mentioned above adding a foot of cord to the existing suspension. So does that mean to just tie a loop of shock cord (12") around one end of the existing suspension, and then clip the included caribiner to that and hang like usual? I don't think centering the quilt properly will be an issue with the channels and the prussiks (many thanks for that tip, Shug!).

It really is not much of an issue. I have not seen the GLock, but I suppose the shockcord is pretty much like on my Yeti: the loop of cord ties in a knot on one end, with or without a cord lock. So you could also tie 1/2 of the cord to one side and the other 1/2 to the other side if you preferred. Either way you end up with longer shock cord. You don't even need to use shockcord, a short piece of most any type cord will do, whatever is handy.

Plus, you don't need to worry much about it lifting your hammock up, that is actually what I find works best: the unoccupied hammock is lifted 1 or 2 feet. This helps assure a snug fit, along with a secondary suspension to help avoid accordion syndrome. You just need to make sure that you are still able to push the quilt towards the ground after you are in and the quilt has been positioned. For safety, I usually get in and pull the quilt up under me, to make sure it will go under me easily, then push it towards the ground. If it easily moves down at least several inches, you should have plenty enough slack for safety.

JoeR
05-05-2015, 15:17
Yes it is too short for an 11 ft hammock, you will need to extend it by one of the methods listed or just use longer shock cord, that is what I did.

JasonACraft
05-05-2015, 15:23
I've got a GL3 and a pair of 11' hammocks, works great on either as is. Lifts the empty hammock crazy high....but makes it snug too. I actually had to tighten it up a little after the first night getting a little separation and a tad cbs.

JoeR
05-05-2015, 15:25
Maybe newer versions have longer shock cord,?

JasonACraft
05-05-2015, 15:26
Oooooohhhhh could be, mines from this year

HillbillyHanger
05-05-2015, 15:53
After my original post, I added the loops on each end. Has worked fine, but I'm gping to try it again without them. After my original post, I spoke with Jack about it when I was buying a topquilt. He told Me they cut the shock cord 14 feet. He said 50 pecent stretch would be okay. So as.long as your length is 10 1/2 feet or less you should be okay. I have a ridge line so I am less than 10 feet.