PDA

View Full Version : Gear Guide 12x12 vs Kelty Noah 12

Watty
08-12-2009, 20:30
Hello everyone, I really enjoyed reading everyones ideas on noob set ups. I was just wondering how many people have tried this tarp http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-tarp.aspx?a=254694
and now good it is. I was also thinking about buying a kelty noah 12x12 http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/noahs-tarp-12/ but it is a bit more expensive. Anyways any input would be great. Thank you

pineapplenewton
08-12-2009, 20:45
I dont know about the second but the first is said to be "big enough to cover a station wagon and as heavy as one too"

TinaLouise
08-13-2009, 09:19
I use the sportsmans gear guide tarp. It's white, it's huge, it's heavy (2lbs)!! But if I'm car camping, I'm using it!!! It's either over my hammock or nearby being used as a cook tarp or a socializing tarp. I like it but I do not backpack with it. Car camping only.
I don't know anything about the other tarp you asked about.

eflat7
08-13-2009, 13:43
I use the gear guide 9x9, but started with the 12x12. My buddy users the Kelty 12x12. I am pretty sure his just has more tieouts. Cant remember exactly.

Peg-Leg
08-16-2009, 23:00
I have the guide gear 12 x 12 model. The ridgeline on my is actually 16 ft. It's a little larger than advertised. As for weight, it really doesn't feel like two pounds. For price ($30), you can't beat it.

I will definitely purchase a silnylon tarp one day, but for now, the guide gear one is great. I would suggest it for anyone gettimg started and wanting to save money.

I'm in the process now of cutting mine done to 11ft ridgeline with 5ft sides similar in shape to the MacCat tarps. This will take it below two pounds for sure. But, again it really doesn't feel like two pounds in its present form.

Knotty
08-16-2009, 23:59
That's a great idea bimmerrx7. Using a Guide Gear tarp as stock material to build a cat cut tarp from.

sclittlefield
08-18-2009, 19:00
Definitely a great way to lighten it up. I still plan to buy one of these and I already have an amazing cat-cut sil tarp.

If you're planning to make a tarp though, and you want to go even lighter, you can get the same amount of sil as that tarp for the same price. $3.00/yd at Noah Lamport (with shipping it ends up at just under $4.00/yd). 8 yds would run you $32.00, shipping included, probably a little less than that tarp with shipping.

sir_n0thing
08-18-2009, 21:11
Definitely a great way to lighten it up. I still plan to buy one of these and I already have an amazing cat-cut sil tarp.

If you're planning to make a tarp though, and you want to go even lighter, you can get the same amount of sil as that tarp for the same price. $3.00/yd at Noah Lamport (with shipping it ends up at just under $4.00/yd). 8 yds would run you $32.00, shipping included, probably a little less than that tarp with shipping.

I was checking out the Noah Lamport website (http://www.noahlamport.com/index.htm) and I don't see anything other than urethane coated 1.9 oz nylon. Would I need to call in an order to get silnylon?
I found a link to a "Orderonline" page at Noah Lamport, but clicking that link leads to a 404 error...

sclittlefield
08-19-2009, 16:04
Yeah, their website is useless, other than to let you know the company does actually exist. You have to give them a call, or an email. I started with email and ended up just calling.

There is a $5.00 cut fee, so if you can buy the end of a roll (I did, 19 yards) you'll save a tiny bit. With shipping it comes in just under $4.00/yd. And the material is fantastic, it's 2nds, but I didn't find any reason for it to be so. It comes 64" wide. I don't know if there are many color options, I just got the standard gray. I like the amount of light that lets in.