PDA

View Full Version : well I did it

Ewker
04-20-2007, 14:54
I just ordered the Speer 8.0A hammock setup without the tarp.
I will use my SG 9x9 tarp.
I talked to Ed about the problems I had with the pads slipping out the foot end of the hammock. He told me to try the mesh shelf liner used in kitchen cabinets. Luckily I have some at home. I have used them in my tarptent when my pads slide. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

NCPatrick
04-20-2007, 15:01
Congrats Ewker. I hope to meet you out there on one of the upcoming trips.

Hooch
04-20-2007, 15:10
I talked to Ed about the problems I had with the pads slipping out the foot end of the hammock. He told me to try the mesh shelf liner used in kitchen cabinets. Luckily I have some at home. I have used them in my tarptent when my pads slide. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

Congrats Ewker. See, doesn't it feel better when you just give in to the hammock? You know it's been calling your name. Hope to see you on a future SEHHA hangout (http://www.hammockcamping.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun07.htm) or other event. I'm hoping to go to one of Neo's hangouts this later on this year if I can get the time off for it from work. I'm only about 3 1/2 hrs from Nashville, the same amount of time it takes me to get to Hot Springs.

Ewker
04-20-2007, 15:23
NCPatrick and Hooch, hopefully we can do something at RRG or the Smokies. I will go to Neo's event when he has it. He has a lot going on right now.

I am planning ongoing to the SEHHA in June unless a backpacking trip pops up. I am more of a backpacker than just going to base camp for a few days..to much to see out there

I know for sure I will be at Trail Days but I may be tenting. It is would be hard to put 2 people in one hammock :eek:

headchange4u
04-20-2007, 15:29
Hurray for you Ewker! Congrats!

Hooch
04-20-2007, 15:36
I am planning ongoing to the SEHHA in June unless a backpacking trip pops up.

Ewker, I'm going to be at the SEHHA June Hangout, but will be section hiking on the AT the 5 days or so before that. A friend and I are hiking from the I-40 crossing to Hot Springs. We should arrive in Hot Springs on Friday June 8th. You're welcome to come along on the hike if you'd like to join us.

Ewker
04-20-2007, 15:45
Ewker, I'm going to be at the SEHHA June Hangout, but will be section hiking on the AT the 5 days or so before that. A friend and I are hiking from the I-40 crossing to Hot Springs. We should arrive in Hot Springs on Friday June 8th. You're welcome to come along on the hike if you'd like to join us.

That was suppose to be my Christmas trip last yr but plans got screwed up to something else then that fell thru :mad:

I would like to go but I can't get off that many days. I have to save my vacation days now for a 7 day backpacking trip in the Canadian Rockies.

thanks HeadChange 4U

lvleph
04-20-2007, 15:46
Was there any real doubt? We knew you would come to the hanging side.

Hooch
04-20-2007, 15:47
That was suppose to be my Christmas trip last yr but plans got screwed up to something else then that fell thru :mad:

I would like to go but I can't get off that many days. I have to save my vacation days now for a 7 day backpacking trip in the Canadian Rockies.

thanks HeadChange 4U

Sorry you can't make it HC, bummer. As far as I'm concerned, you've got a standing invitation with me for any backpacking/camping trip I go on. As far as that goes, so does anyone else here. :D :eek:

Hooch
04-20-2007, 15:49
Was there any real doubt? We knew you would come to the hanging side.

I knew pretty quick that he was going to cross over to the hanging side. It was just a matter of time. :p

Hooch
04-20-2007, 15:57

EWker, hopefully you can make it to a Hot Springs hangout. Look forward to seeing you there.

Ewker
04-23-2007, 10:48
anyone got any tips or tricks about setting up the Speer Hammock. I am sure I will be totally :confused:

headchange4u
04-23-2007, 11:08
Does you hammock have a ridge line? If not you will have to experiment with getting the sag that feels the most comfortable to you.

Check out the Speer 4 Wrap Knot (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79)

jlb2012
04-23-2007, 11:31
tie it very slack to begin with then adjust for comfort - do not start with the hammock too tight

Speer hammocks come with an adjustable ridge line - once you find a good sag tie the ridge line to that setting so the next time it is faster to hang

Ewker
04-23-2007, 11:37
Does you hammock have a ridge line? If not you will have to experiment with getting the sag that feels the most comfortable to you.

Check out the Speer 4 Wrap Knot (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79)

it comes with a bugnet so I would imagine there is a line to drap the netting across..would that be the ridgeline

Ewker
04-23-2007, 11:40
tie it very slack to begin with then adjust for comfort - do not start with the hammock too tight

Speer hammocks come with an adjustable ridge line - once you find a good sag tie the ridge line to that setting so the next time it is faster to hang

when you say tight is that where the hammock is almost in a straight line?
should it be loose enough to be in a u shape?

yeah I know play with it when I get it. Problem is if I don't know what is the right way I may think it is right when it is wrong..lol

jlb2012
04-23-2007, 12:21
tight would be where the hammock is as you say almost in a straight line

loose - where the angle of the strap on the tree is 45 deg or so

Just Jeff
04-23-2007, 16:52
Ewker - go here (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGlossary.html) and look at the pictures for sag. You want it to hang loose so it doesn't squeeze your shoulders.

The Speer doesn't come with a ridgeline.

headchange4u
04-23-2007, 17:41
I forgot about the whole HH patented structural ridge line thing.

Ewker,

One of the first things that I would do is make yourself a structural ridge line so you get the same sag every time you set the hammock up. Jeff's site has some great pictorial examples. Here are some threads that discuss structural ridge lines:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=602&highlight=structural
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=921&highlight=structural
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174&highlight=structural

lvleph
04-23-2007, 17:48
If you like the way it sleeps it is not wrong.

Nightwalker
07-05-2007, 23:18

I'm looking really seriously at the IIIA without the tarp. That comes with the bug screen, correct?

Of all the other hammocks out there, it looked almost as minimalist as my ENO Single Nest, but with a little "extra".

If I could have figured out how to order it without the tarp on the website tonight, it'd be on its way.

It'll still be here before I do SNP in a week or so. I'm doing 30-50 miles in the FHT this week to wake up my legs again, and to make sure that my tarp-hanging system works in-the-wild. :D

FanaticFringer
07-05-2007, 23:26
I'm looking really seriously at the IIIA without the tarp. That comes with the bug screen, correct?

Of all the other hammocks out there, it looked almost as minimalist as my ENO Single Nest, but with a little "extra".

If I could have figured out how to order it without the tarp on the website tonight, it'd be on its way.

It'll still be here before I do SNP in a week or so. I'm doing 30-50 miles in the FHT this week to wake up my legs again, and to make sure that my tarp-hanging system works in-the-wild. :D

Yes it comes with the bug net. Easy to order without tarp. Whatever method you use to order just mention you want the hammock only. $100

Ewker
07-06-2007, 08:41

you will like the Speer Hammock. The bug net comes off when you don't need it or leave it on.

Just call Ed and tell him what you want. He will have it out the door in no time