PDA

View Full Version : jarbridge sale and hanging question

IndyFace
10-18-2014, 11:42
so i've been looking at getting an under quilt for some time now and i have finally settled on the AHE/KAQ Jarbidge. now, to hang out until the next sale. *crosses fingers that it will be soon* can't wait! if any of you notice a sale come up, please let me know to be sure that i don't miss it again. also, do you hook it right onto the suspension or do you hang it from somewhere else?? can you provide pictures of where it's hooked on to your setup? thanks a ton!

DanglingModifier
10-18-2014, 12:33
As shipped it comes with two small carabiners on shock cord loops (one on each side) which hook right on to your suspension just beyond the gathered ends of your hammock. It then hangs directly under your hammock like another small hammock. Shock cord and cord locks let you snug it up from there. Third party hardware (i.e. Dutch) can also help you rig it a bit closer/better.

IndyFace
10-18-2014, 13:55
Thank you. I wasn't sure where it was suspended from but that dedefinitely answered it. I have some hardware already that will work. Now I just have to decide on the color I suppose. Thank you so much for replying.

Do you have one? What is your experience and overall rating?

TheYoda
10-18-2014, 14:22
I purchased a green/black one as part of their recent Anniversary Sale. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it seems very well made. The suspension is very simple and comes with everything you need. Just clip the shock cord to your hammock suspension, slide it to where you want it, then adjust the pulls on either end to open or snug the ends to fit your body. Arrowhead also sells 'triangle thingies' you can add to the suspension that help lift the ends higher (change the hang angle) if desired.

DanglingModifier
10-18-2014, 14:56
It looks like a really well made product, but my experience with it has been very limited so far. It is quite new. I've only slept out in it a few times on my balcony. The weather here in S Cal has been warm. Never got below low 60s or high 50s where I have hung so far. I expect to get some colder weather experience with it in about two weeks. That'll be the true test.

IndyFace
10-18-2014, 16:10
Thank you for all of your input. I'm even more excited to get it now!! May not wait until a sale happens either haha.

zappa870
10-18-2014, 16:26
I purchased a Jarbridge after the last sale. I have used it once in White Mountains in NH and it worked very well.

IndyFace
10-18-2014, 16:46
do you by any chance know the low temp that you reached? i know they are rated to 30 but usually thats the higher end of things. i am also not so worried about it in particular because i sleep VERY warm. the lowest i've hung in was around 50 and all i used was a 40 degree summer down mummy bag and i was sweating. however, i really want to start hanging in the winter months as well so i'm hoping to avoid any CBS problems BEFORE they become a problem.

IRONFISH45
10-18-2014, 18:55
The numbers on quilts is just a idea of what they might allow. We humans have too many variables, to give a definite answer to what will work at what temperature in a particular setting. Ia am cold at 50 F in Oregon, at home in Northern B.C. 50 F feels like a warm spring day, humidity is the difference.

For me, having my backside with lots of insulation is the key to being comfortable. Topside requires a lot less warm stuff. Also I have found clean long johns work the best for me in cold weather sleeping.

IndyFace
10-18-2014, 19:13
i usually wear shorts and an under armour coldgear shirt and i'm fine with just a sleeping bag, however, i'd like to try winter hanging and i don't want to end up cold and then not have what i need. so i'm definitely going to buy.

gunner76
10-18-2014, 20:28
if any of you notice a sale come up

The next one will probably be Black Friday.

Best to do a test hang under controlled conditions so you know what your limits are. As others have said, the temp range provided is a guide as everyone's comfort level is different.

A couple of pictures of one of my Jarbridges ( I must like them as I have bought 4 of them over the years ) on a BlackBird. I also recommend using Triangle Thingies to help keep any UQ in place.

IndyFace
10-19-2014, 09:25
I bought one. I'm testing it out the night that I get it!! I sleep hot and have multiple sleeping bags (that I use as TQs) that are rated down into the negatives. Obviously I have 3 and 4 season ones as well but usually I sleep with just a blanket during the summer bc I get too warm and kick it off anyways.

But thank you so much for those pictures. I was wondering what the triangle thingies did lol. I will have to order those after I try it out and make sure I need them. (Who am I kidding, I'm addicted and I'm sure I'll grab them regardless haha)

DanglingModifier
10-19-2014, 15:05
Pic two from gunnar76 shows the little Jarbidge stock suspension green carabiner poking out right above the gathered end. The other end of the UQ has a little black carabiner so you can keep track of the head and foot end based on how they are adjusted.

What I haven't figured out yet is if there is an intended "top" and "bottom" side of the UQ. Other than a color difference the fabric on each side looks the same to my untrained eye.

Passinthru
10-19-2014, 16:57
In another thread, from long ago, Paul stated that the Jarbidge is reversible - doesn't matter which side is out - or in.

Here's a picture of the Jarbidge on a Ridgerunner. Only had it down to 37* so far. Very comfortable in just cotton skivvies.

DanglingModifier
10-19-2014, 17:29
Thanks for the info, and now we can go back to your regularly scheduled un-hijacked thread.

gunner76
10-19-2014, 17:31
Jarbidge stock suspension green carabiner

Close....actually it is one of a batch I had ordered with my local hiking trail name on it.

The Jarbriges are reversible and there is no head or foot end. While I usually use them while car camping, I have used them while hiking on the AT. Since it does not compress as much as down I used a compression bag and strapped it to the out side of my pack

DanglingModifier
10-19-2014, 17:45
Ah, your group buy 'biners. Mine shipped with a little green guy like the one in your photo.

gunner76
10-19-2014, 17:49
Ah, your group buy 'biners.

Those are some I bought several years ago and I have used them all ( attached to UQ's, used for Tarp ridge lines and or tarp tie outs ect ) and or given them away to boy scouts so I had to get some more thus the group buy.

gnar
10-19-2014, 20:21
IMHO the jarbidge is always on sale! buy 1 now if you need it, wont find a cheaper quilt that's well made

Gnarrkills
10-19-2014, 20:46
I cannot speak for the jarbridge, but I have a KAQ potomac for my HH explorer deluxe. I took it down to 30 this past spring with no issues. I bought this one just before they started offering the apex upgrade as standard insulation for all quilts so they probably do even better now. Bummer though, I would have enjoyed having the upgraded insulation.

PTAaron
10-19-2014, 21:02
I got my Jarbidge in the last sale and IMO it is worth every penny of the full price!
I use mine with a "triangle thingy" on the foot end and the stock suspension on the head end with removable quilt hooks. Works amazingly well. I was using the triangle thingy on the head end, but the mini carabiner was hitting my head.

I've used it down to 33 degrees and I was toasty warm. It is rated to 25 - and I have no doubt it would still be toasty warm at that temp. 95194
Here it is on my 11' Dutch Argon hammock.

IndyFace
10-19-2014, 22:57
I got my Jarbidge in the last sale and IMO it is worth every penny of the full price!

i've been hearing this and i'm sure it IS worth every penny of full price, but you can't blame a girl for trying to wait to save a few bucks haha. i was going to do a DIY UQ but i would end up buying a new bag to convert and ultimately, not saving any money because i would also need a new sewing machine haha.

thank you all for helping out with this. this is my first UQ purchase so i'm extra excited!

PTAaron
10-21-2014, 13:52
i've been hearing this and i'm sure it IS worth every penny of full price, but you can't blame a girl for trying to wait to save a few bucks haha. i was going to do a DIY UQ but i would end up buying a new bag to convert and ultimately, not saving any money because i would also need a new sewing machine haha.

thank you all for helping out with this. this is my first UQ purchase so i'm extra excited!
I totally understand ;) I felt the same way, that's why I jumped on it when it went on sale. The PLUQ I had was "good enough" so I was waiting for a deal. Knowing what I know now - I would have bought the Jarbidge a long time ago ;)
You'll be VERY happy with your purchase!

On a side note - after posting in this thread I started wondering if I would be better off going with a triangle thingy at the head end since I'm now using a different (and much longer) hammock... I set it up in the basement last night around midnight to test it out. At 2:30am my wife came down to ask why I wasn't in bed. Apparently it worked fine because I don't remember falling asleep! :laugh:

IndyFace
10-21-2014, 15:17
Lol well I'd have to say that it worked. I should be getting it any day now so I'm pacing at this point lol

mayhemkb
10-23-2014, 09:10
I just had mine down to 35 degrees and it was windy too. The wind was N/NW at a good 20mph and gusting to 35mph all night. The tarp was low and close and did well but I do not have doors so the wind in the forest kept swirling around and would blow in and the Jarbidge still worked great. I was nice and toasty.

weaver2469
10-23-2014, 09:14
I have had mine down to 27 degrees, and that was before he started making them with APEX, which I understand will buy you another 5-10 degrees.

IndyFace
10-23-2014, 11:31
I got it in the mail yesterday and I'm going to hang everything this weekend. I'm excited. Thank you everyone for all of the input

DanglingModifier
10-23-2014, 20:15
Be sure to come back to the same thread and let us know how it went!

IndyFace
10-23-2014, 20:35
How about right now? Haha. It's currently 47 and dropping steadily. I'm just hanging in the backyard tonight but I can tell you now, I'm toasty. When I first started getting into hanging in a camping manner, I thought people were crazy to think a "sleeping bag underneath the hammock" makes that big of a diff. Upon more research, I understood why they used them but I didn't understand why they spent so much money on them. Now here i am, using one of the better talked about UQs (and cheaper) and I'm snug as a bug.