PDA

View Full Version : Adding warmth to UQ / TQ system

WesArnold
10-19-2014, 15:15
What ways have you guys found that you can increase the temp rating of a UQ / TQ system? Most of the time w/ a sleeping bag / pad system - I've done this by just wearing more clothes, or you can get on of the bag liners. I'm figuring that wearing more clothes would work for the top half of your body, but not much for the bottom half as the clothes would compress just like a sleeping bag would.

What recommendations do you guys have? Maybe use foam pad w/ the UQ too?

Thanks,

Nodust
10-19-2014, 15:59
I just got a under quilt protector and will be experimenting with that. I read that it can add 10 degrees to bottom.

drchip
10-19-2014, 16:17
I use a torso-sized pad I made of reflectix between the layers of my Blackbird to supplement my underquilt/topquilt if need be. I find it to work better than a normal pad as it's a bit more flexible and so conforms to my shape better. Also, easier to shape into just the right shape.

Nodust
10-19-2014, 16:32
I also notice a big difference with a bugnet integrated on the hammock.

It's sort of backwards. A open hammock is cooler for summertime but skeeters get me. A hammock with bugnet is warmer in winter but no skeeters to keep out.

FLRider
10-20-2014, 12:53
What ways have you guys found that you can increase the temp rating of a UQ / TQ system? Most of the time w/ a sleeping bag / pad system - I've done this by just wearing more clothes, or you can get on of the bag liners. I'm figuring that wearing more clothes would work for the top half of your body, but not much for the bottom half as the clothes would compress just like a sleeping bag would.

What recommendations do you guys have? Maybe use foam pad w/ the UQ too?

Thanks,

Pads, UQP and overcover, hammock socks, hot water bottle between the thighs (against your femoral). All of these help add warmth. Also, it is possible (though tricky) to stack quilts for more temperature range.

cdnunn01
10-21-2014, 07:30
I recently used a DIY sock that I made from rip stop nylon. Worked great to block out the wind and add quite a bit of warmth to my overall space, including underneath me. I will be doing a temperature test to see exactly how many extra degrees of warmth I added once the temps fall closer to freezing here in KY. But so far, for the extra 1 lb 3 oz it weighs, I'm pretty impressed.

Suede
10-21-2014, 07:38
I add warmth with an under quit protector and a top cover. Between the two, a 0* under quilt and 20* top quilt I can get down into single digits easily. I also wear a good base layer to bed... I have heard on this forum that extra clothes can in fact reduce the efficiency of your quilt system.

cdnunn01
10-21-2014, 11:23
I add warmth with an under quit protector and a top cover. Between the two, a 0* under quilt and 20* top quilt I can get down into single digits easily. I also wear a good base layer to bed... I have heard on this forum that extra clothes can in fact reduce the efficiency of your quilt system.

I've heard the same thing, however, if I have to get up in the middle of the night in next to nothing I'd freeze my bum off! No thanks, I'll stay bundled up. :)

MidTNJohn
10-30-2014, 08:26
Wearing clothes in your sleeping bag does NOT make you colder.
Unless

Your clothes are WET (unless maybe they are Wool)
Your clothes make you sweat (see above)
If you get in a bag with a lot of cold clothes on, the Clothes have to be warmed up too so it could take longer for you to feel warm.

Penfold
10-30-2014, 09:25
I use a thin closed cell foam pad, the Exped Multimat. It works for me because I am only 5'5" and it is long enough and wide enough to wrap around my shoulders.

Peter_pan
10-30-2014, 13:11
Dri Duck poncho with a JRB Weather Shield modification will add a waterproof, breathable layer to either a UQ or TQ that is also good for additional 10*F for under $40.

Pan

FLRider
10-31-2014, 08:34
Wearing clothes in your sleeping bag does NOT make you colder.
Unless

Your clothes are WET (unless maybe they are Wool)
Your clothes make you sweat (see above)
If you get in a bag with a lot of cold clothes on, the Clothes have to be warmed up too so it could take longer for you to feel warm.

Or they're tight enough to limit circulation. Some of the compression fit stuff on the market is tight enough for this.

Chard
10-31-2014, 10:02
In deep cold, I'll fold a wool blanket and use it as a butt pad. I don't like any of the pads because they don't breath and cause a moisture buildup that will compromise your insulation. Mosquito netting helps keep the breeze off and seems to retain a bit of warmth. Underquilt protectors are worth their weight in gold. As far as clothing goes, a wool sweater and down vest help quite a bit. I always make sure my head is well covered by a hat, removable down hood from a coat or simply a sweater shoved up above my head. I'll usually pull the whole mess down over my nose. A fleece throw inside your top quilt also is handy to deal with any cold spots that might arise.

At the other end, I'll sometimes zip my winter coat completely around the foot end of my hammock like a 1/2 pod. Keeps the wind off and maybe adds a little warmth.

Water bottle's a proven trick. Make sure you're well hydrated and fed to keep those inner fires burning and circulating at top efficiency. Might mean an extra trip to the tree during the night, but it's worth it.

Vapour barriers and full hammock socks are also alternatives/supplements when the temperature dips way down, but I don't have any experience with them.

Common sense placement of your hammock also makes a big difference. If possible, try to tuck yourself into a well sheltered area out of the bottom of any valleys and off of the windblown tops of hills. Keep the wind down to a minimum and stay away from cold sinks.

Of course doing all of your winter camping in Florida is a sure way to keep warm when there's snow on the ground in your neck of the woods!:shades:

Gilmai
10-31-2014, 11:19
Trip to the tree? I thought we were talking about warmth here. I always keep a designated empty bottle to keep that warmth with me. Usually by the time I wake up to relieve myself that warm water bottle has cooled down but is not cold, so its drinkable. And then it gets replaced by the new "warm bottle" in a plastic bag. I admit there is some risk here, but it works wonders at keeping my feet warm and I never have get out of my cocoon. If one day disaster strikes maybe I'll reconsider, but so far, so good.